Polaris ATV Forum banner

Is my 1000 performing normal?

8K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  camlaw 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I posted a video in the forum back in April, after I had my head changed out by the dealer, asking if it looks like it was running right (and I got mixed answers). I've heard people pulling the wheels up at 30MPH but mine barely pulls them up a few inches at 10MPH. It does pull them straight up at 5MPH though. I figured since it's been a while and more people have them I'd ask again.
Will yours pull the wheel up at 30 or even 20, or even 10? Is my 1000 normal with only being able to pull them up at 5?
Thanks in advance!

#33 ·
Thanks for the reply Mad, that helps, looks like there's at least one other bike out there that performs like mine. Maybe the others that are pulling wheel up at 20 and above are the exception.
In regards to engine breaking, when I start going down a long hill I blip the throttle to engage the engine breaking but the clutches let loose a few feet later. How do you keep it engaged? If I blip it much more than I already am the bike will take off (increase too much speed)

#34 ·
You also have to remember he is at a high elevation, mine would not wheelie when riding at that elevation either. When I got back to sea level it wheelies just like it did before.

#35 ·
Yeah, I'm sure my wheelie power is there at sea level. Just not so much here. Might be lack of experience at wheelies too.

I just blip I too, it does disengage a little bit later so you have to blip it again. and some times it does increase in speed to much when I am in high gear, but low seems to ride a lot longer on the engine breaking. I think it takes practice and I need more work to make it work better. I truly consider it a benefit that I did not expect from this machine.

Mav

#39 ·
Pretty sure I posted this already, but this is from 18-20 mph, stock tires and a little body english...notice I feather the throttle to keep it from going any higher. This was when it had around 10 hrs and I was still getting my wheelie technique down, I'm way better now. I tried to get the wheels up going faster than 20mph and its just not happening without standing up.

#40 ·
Chronix, did you have a winch in that vid? I tried today and if I stand up and use all my weight i can get them up at 12mph. But when sitting pretty far back and using my body weight I can't get em up at 10. I do have a winch, though its not very heavy. What shock settins are you using and did you adjust the spring height at all?

#42 ·
No winch and my shock settings are pretty much middle of the road, I've heard the clutch kit will add more snap on the bottom also. It would be awesome if you could find someone local with the same bike to compare yours to...

#44 ·
Throw a female and a cooler on it. Wheelie away.

#49 ·
I'm not sure on that one, I have never tried. The machine is 1 week old with 200 miles on it not a lot of tests done with her yet. When I ride I move around on that thing like a spider money.. leaning into turns pulling the tires nailing jump so on so on, I never sit still and try wheelies. I will try when I get back home and let you know, might take a month though :(
I have pulled the wheels cruising at 40 on flat asphalt with body weight though, it was epic! My buddy beside me on a 750 brute almost crapped his pants LOL!

#50 ·
Thanks Jeffro! Just trying to get a baseline with less variables. That's pretty crazy getting the wheels up at 40, wish mine would do that. Maybe if I tried slowing then flooring it and also bouncing the front down and then pulling like a gorilla but I'm sure mine probably wouldn't come up, lol.

#51 ·
So just to give an example on how profound shock setting affects wheelies, I had an opportunity to do some testing with my stage 5's as I was not even close to the set up I needed for running the Texas Off Road National series or any other series for that matter. The stage 5's can be very complicated unless you really understand the functionality of the shocks or at least have a friend that does. Mine is the latter. They have slow and high speed compression along with rebound. Anyway, when I installed the shocks with a neutral setting directly from Elka, I could not launch in dirt giving more than 3/4 throttle or it felt like I was going to flip right over backwards and had to back out of the throttle during the launch then full throttle again. The last test session, we adjusted on the shocks and it helped keep it more planted but upon full throttle, it would still wheelie more than I felt comfortable off the line. After a pretty long session today, we were able to adjust to where it will perform well on all types of terrain and jumps without bottoming out but the thing that really pleased me was the stability on the turns as it would two wheel very easily with the last settings. Incidentally, it wanted to bicycle so bad that during the last race, it bicycled while in a tight woods section that threw me into a tree and broke three ribs.
Now, it is far more stable and as an added benefit, it does not wheelie off the line giving full throttle. It feels faster than it ever did during acceleration and rockets off the line brutely. I was thinking of this thread during the drive home and thought I would share as it isn't only the ability of the engine but your shocks do affect it as well. I do not know how that would compare to the stock shocks and their setting along with how profound their adjustments are to the ability to wheelie. Wheelies are great for fun but for what I need, not what you want to do at all.

#52 ·
we got out and rode yesterday, what an awsome day!!!!!, the 1000 is crazy but honestly it didnt really want to wheelie on its own, full tank of gas, winch, unsure on shock setings, i messed with shoicks but havent read owners manual so dont know what i was doing, i switched to 26x11 bighorns on rear, with body motion or any type on bump it will pull up at almost any speed, if i just sit there is wants to just smoke the tires and no pull up, dont think thats any help for you but figured would mention it, the guys riding with me said the rear of the quad would sqaut right down on hard throttle, mine seems odd it has "delayed"power, it dosent rip right off the start but then hits really hard,not as bad as a 2stroke but that kinda effect, may just take some getting usto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.