Polaris ATV Forum banner

Is my 1000 performing normal?

8K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  camlaw 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I posted a video in the forum back in April, after I had my head changed out by the dealer, asking if it looks like it was running right (and I got mixed answers). I've heard people pulling the wheels up at 30MPH but mine barely pulls them up a few inches at 10MPH. It does pull them straight up at 5MPH though. I figured since it's been a while and more people have them I'd ask again.
Will yours pull the wheel up at 30 or even 20, or even 10? Is my 1000 normal with only being able to pull them up at 5?
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
No clutch kit, 26" Bear Claw HTRs and 15mph wheelie no problem, 20mph wheelie takes some body english.

#3 ·
Whats your elevation? I know when I was in Colorado and riding at over 8000ft elevation I couldn't even come close to a wheelie, felt like I was riding something with half the power.

#4 ·
Now the big question.... are the ones that can pull it up at 30mph stock? Or are they running a clutch kit or other mods?

Evolution.... that too is a very good point to make!!

#5 · (Edited)
Everybody always talks about wheelies at 20 and 30 but awhile ago a guy made a post show your wheelies i think there was like 3 of of us and none where cruising at 30 mph then a wheelie

#6 ·
I'm at sea level. So are you're bikes wheelie'n up at 10 or 15 or so? Or is it hard to get em up over 10? Can someone try this out on thier quad? :)
I know the guy above is but maybe his is a factory freak?

#47 ·
My Scrammy 1000 has less then 200 miles on it and I can pull the front tires right over backwards if I wanted to at 40 MPH on asphalt. That's pulling pretty good on the bars but it still does it. I even pulled them up at 55 when I hit a 3-4" bump... Have that one on video actually :)

#8 ·
Mine will pull up on blacktop up to about 15 no problem I think, over 5-10, I would need really lean back.

I have another question, sorry if I'm stealing your post...
How do you guys like the engine braking? How does it compare to you last quad and what did you come from? Mine is so bad that the brake pads were shot at 500 miles with no mud riding. I felt another 1000 and it wasn't much better. I felt a 850 and it was night and day, similar to any of the Can Ams I have had. I feel we got F'd over on the clutching.

#32 ·
My engine braking is phenomenal. Everyone that has rode it agrees. We ride steep stuff here in Colorado and it will go down the steepest in low with very little brakes. You just have to keep the revs up a bit to use the engine braking.

As far as a wheelie. I can get one from stop on asphalt, but not much elsewhere. That is at 7000ft where I live. We ride from 8000-13000ft on dirt and all I get up there is wheel spin. :) It really does freak you out when you are cruising 40mph and hit the throttle and the ass end goes sideways.

This machine is a beast! Just hit 250 miles on it.

Mav

#12 ·
I don't think my bike is any faster then anyone else's, what I do think helps me out is I'm 6'4" 300lbs and a pretty athletic build so I can throw my weight around. For me to get the front up at 20 with the bear claws it takes a good tug on the bars and some body english. One more thing, the gas tank is in the front on these things and a full tank makes it way harder to pull the wheels off the ground.

As far as the engine braking, I don't find it an issue at all on mine but I've only owned 2 other utility machines that were extremely slow to begin with. I just checked my brake pads when I did my bushings and I still have plenty material left at a little over 1200 miles....did you go with race driven snowman?

#13 ·
The engine braking was so aggressive on a sportsman 850 I rode a while back that it damn near felt like I was going to go over the handle bars when came off the accelerator fully. I did not like it at all. I can see where it would be nice for controlling downhill speed but on straightaways and flat land I would opt out for sure.

#14 ·
I agree, my renegade had very hard engine breaking, letting off the gas at anytime caused it to dive hard. But with my Scrambler I'm worried with the lack of engine braking (or clutch engagement) if it's gonna wear out my belt going down long mountains roads.

#21 ·
Keep in mind, your shock settings have an impact on wheelies as well so not sure what you feel you are lacking. Is it accelerating hard but just not pulling the front end up? Your belt could be glazed and may be slipping a tad, shock setting will either absorb the weight transfer or resist and pull the front end up. If you run another and are several bike lengths behind, it may be a clutch issue rather not than your motor down on power. I have not read the whole thread and maybe jumping in the wrong direction but I would have a hard time believing you have a lemon motor.

#22 ·
Yeah, I tried hard and soft shock settings but didn't see a difference. All and all I don't really care to do wheelies but it's the only way I can think to compare the power of mine to other peoples over the internet (without being able to race). I just hear about people pulling the tires up at 20MPH and above and mine will no way do that which makes me feel it's low on power (heck I can't even get them up at 10MPH, just a few inches). It's been like this from day 1 (after break in) so I don't think its a clutch issue. I did how ever take the clutch cover off and check things out and it all looked right.

#25 ·
Hmm, I guess I could try that. Would kinda be difficult to compare though I guess with traction limitations and keeping the nose down from a start. Would be a fun exersize though :) If others participated :D

#30 ·
I only got a base scrambler 850 I can pull a long wheelie from a dead stop or with a little hump only problem is I cant see were the hell im going once that front end is up I gotta get my ass off the seat :laugh2::laugh2: another question do you have a winch and are you full of gas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.