Polaris ATV Forum banner

Buy or wait until spring?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jkust 
#1 ·
Do I buy a Scrambler 1000 now? or wait until spring and maybe they will release a 850LE. Im positive I don't need 1000cc but I must have power steering. I have a really hard time dropping almost $13,000 on a 4 wheeler and know as soon as I do they will launch a 850 with all the goodies and Im guessing will be somewhere in the low $11's.

#2 ·
Don't know where you are located, but if in an area with extreme winters, you may not get much running before your warrantee runs out. I bought in the fall and do not use it much in the winter so my warrantee was done before the trails opened in the spring. Got a good buy and wasn't to worried about warrantee. If no good rebates at present, I would wait until some discounts come on or buy in the spring so you get the benefit of 6 month warrantee.

#3 ·
usually by december they release any limited edition models they may have for the production year or at least that is what they did for the sportsman 850 LE last year. we ride just as much in the winter so warranty isn't much of an issue. there are some dealers that tend to stay "in the know" and find out what polaris is going to be releasing ahead of time, before the information is officially released by polaris. your best bet is to talk to your local dealers to see if they have a LE planned for 2015 and see what it will come with. for the scrambler, i would assume a limited edition color, eps and possibly the fox shocks like we've seen in the past.

considering how much stuff polaris has been rolling out lately, it seems that they will release something new and better shortly after you buy something anyways. if you definitely want eps and an 850 is all you need, have you considered buying a sportsman instead?? between rebates and old stock, i've been seeing some pretty good deals on them. there are places that have the 2014 sportsman 850 LE with the fox shocks listed for under $9,000 which is over $3,000 less than retail. if you're dead set on a scrambler, i would talk to the dealers or wait another two months to see if they release anything else for 2015 or just buy the scrambler 1000.

#4 ·
Good point about the warranty, didn't think of that. Don't get me wrong I'd like the extra phones of the 1000 it's just the price that has me holding out. My dealer is not one to be in the "know" or they just hide it very well but if what you say is true about the 850 le sportman for under 9 grand then that is definitely an option.

#5 ·
I ride all winter long here. Between riding and plowing I probably get more seat time in the winter.

#6 ·
what is it that has you leaning towards the scrambler over the sportsman? i only ask because it seems like a lot of people are under the assumption that they are two entirely different atvs when in reality, other than exhaust and clutching, they are essentially the same quad mechanically. both 850s use the same motor, frame, shocks, a-arms, etc. they both make 77 horsepower and there is only a 22 lb. difference between them for the eps models on each. the sportsman has EBS (which some love while some hate), a 3rd headlight and the ability for plenty of cargo options.

when looking at the price tag for each, the sportsman is the better bang for your buck and the scrambler is way overpriced for what you get compared to the sportsman imo. if you were to cash in on one of those 2014 sportsman 850 LE deals, you would also gain a winch and front storage box for $3,000 less than a 2014 scrambler 850 with fox shocks and eps and you'd still have the fox shocks, handguards and more.

here is a link for the 2014 models of each

2014 Polaris Scrambler XP 850 HO EPS Voodoo Blue LE ATV : Features

2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EPS Pearl White LE ATV : Features

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.