Polaris ATV Forum banner

What tires would you say will keep this beast on the trail

15K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  XP1000 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone. I'm loving my scrambler xp 1000. So here's my problem. I do a lot of trail riding some mudding not a lot though. It's a 2 part question?
What are the biggest size tires I can put on the Scrammy without lifting?
What brand tires do you recommend and why? Me personally I've only heard about the Big Horns. Any of your feed back will be helpful? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

#2 ·
You should clear 30" no problem. Bighorns are great trail tires but will plug up in the mud. If you do some mudding then I just purchased for myself are 28" Kenda Excutioners. They have a hard rubber compound for long wear, clean out well in the mud and still pretty decent out on the trails. You can find them at MUD THROWERS.COM

#4 ·
Executioners are pretty much a dedicated mud tire and offer a pretty harsh ride on the trail compared to a lot of the others. i do a combination of mud and trails and never had an issue with Bighorns cleaning out in mud. yes, they won't perform as good as dedicated mud tires will in the mud but they still do pretty well and offer the best all around traction out there imo. they also last forever, aren't as heavy as a lot of the others and they do really well when it comes to flat resistance.

some of the other but heavier tires you might also want to look into are the roctanes, growlers, black diamond xtrs, blackwater evo, swamplites and reptiles. you'll get varying opinions on what is best but the bighorns are tried and true. just be sure to get the original bighorns and not the 2.0 should you decide to go with them.

#5 ·
I wouldn't say the Executioners are a harsh ride, actually pretty decent for an aggressive mud tire. I would say an Outlaw or a Silverback would be in the harsh ride category. Check out Mud Throwers, they have a good selection.

#6 ·
Since he's on a big bore wouldn't it have enough gumption to stab the throttle and clean out the lugs? I know my 550 barely has enough power to accomplish this task but figured a big bore would have enough hp to generate the wheel speed needed to fling the mud out?

I went with the big horns (not 2.0) just because you don't see a bad review of them for a upgraded tire over the oem stuff, and thus far I've been happy with them for the riding we do. They do dig though, locally we have a timber and creek we ride often enough and the machine buries itself pretty easy in the soft creek bottom, but I chaulk that upto heavy machine and not enough power to float/claw it's own way across simply because buddy on his stock 14' 700 grizz pretty much powers his way through stuff I get sucked down into.

#7 ·
if your trail riding get a trail tire, like a big horn. the big horns will do better in the mud than a executioner will do on the trail. i would stay away from a dedicated mud tire. im running pitbull growlers on my 850 scrambler and love them. they get you through any mud and ride good on the trail.

#17 ·
well said! buy the tire that is going to suit the style of riding you are going to do the most. you've already said that you mostly trail ride and only plan on doing a little bit of mud so why buy a tire that is only going to suit the type of riding you plan on doing the least?? going with a dedicated mud tire is also going to rob you of power due to the weight compared to the average trail tire. each will rob some power but you'll lose more with a heavy mud tire.

although the growlers are a bit heavy and they aren't a dedicated mud tire, they will get you through any mud hole but they offer a really good ride on the trail too. i've considered them myself but the weight has me leaning against them. had i not tried the bighorns before, i might have given them a try but the bighorns never once let me down so i don't see the point in trying something else.

here is a vid of my buddy in a mud hole with his growlers. the bottom was about a foot and a half of really thick mud. they got him through just fine.

#8 ·
That's funny, the Executioners do well on the trails for me and do awesome in the mud. I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of comfort for a tire that I know will make it through a mud pit and back.

#9 ·
My vote is for the bighorn or the bighorn 2.0's. The bigs have a great rep for a reason they r a great all around tire. I went with the 2.0's because they are the lightest top tier tire on the market. The lighter the tire the more horse power ur bike retains.

#10 ·
Here's another vote for the bighorns. I have them on my 13 850xp with 1000 miles on them and ride just like you have described and they show no wear at all yet. I ran them on my 08 800 outlander and had over 3500 miles on those and they were only at 50% when I sold it to the brother inlaw. I also ran BD XTR's and they are a very heavy tire and really rode rough in comparison to the bighorns, not worth wasting the ride of your machine when you won't mud as much as you trail ride. As others have suggested go with the bighorns and knew that you will like them, I strayed once and learned my lesson the new 1k will get them when the time comes also.

#13 ·
#16 ·
Another big horn 2.0 guy here. I wanted a durable good all around tire that was not super heavy...BH 2.0

#19 ·
One of the members here bought some interco tires and it was a series of problems with bead leaks and tire sizing. He basically had to have them remounted with bead sealer and ended up having to get different diameter tires so the actual tire diameters would match front to back. Not worth the $20 savings per tire IMO.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I was just going to say FUSE with his vampires had problems but here you already have the link and all.

#24 ·
Yeah, I can get over a defect as long as they make it right and do it with a smile. My kenda bear claw htrs had air leaking around the bead on all 4 tires. I filled out the online warranty card and after 2 or 3 emails back and forth I had a whole brand new set of tires on my doorstep in 4 days. Can't beat service like that!!

#25 ·
I just took the 1000 out for some fun in the snow. I can't believe how well those Executioners dig in the deep snow. Snow drifts up to the floor boards. No problem just pin the throttle and watch the rooster tails fly! The tread depth on the 28's is much deeper than the 25's on my buddy's 570. I was beating the snot out of those rear tires at wide open throttle. Pulled into the garage for inspection and I couldn't even tell any wear! Pretty impressive rubber compound I will say...

#26 ·
Not knocking the your tires but come on it is pretty cold out and the ground is frozen, so how much could they wear down? J/K

#27 ·
Theres a lot of swamp lites in use around here with no probs. I think they sometimes get confused with mud lites, which don't have a good rep.

#28 ·
the swamp lites are made by Interco which is the brand Fuse had trouble with. not only was it trouble with the tire but their customer service of not standing behind their product and doing what is right to rectify the issue. i refuse to support a company that has piss poor customer service like that, regardless if there are a bunch of people happy with the product. there are many other brands out there with outstanding customer service, ITP being one of them. i agree that the mudlites aren't the greatest but they have great customer service and plenty of other tires that perform really well so i'd sooner give them my business over interco.

#30 ·
I second the GBC grim reaper vote. I have a set on my srambler and love them. Customer service was top notch also. One of my tires had a factory defect so the company sent me shipping labels to return the tire and sent me a brand new one with no hassel. I ride mostly trail but will hit a mud hole from time to time. Amazing traction all around and great puncture resistance.

#31 ·
I love how everyone just recommends their own tires as the best in these threads.

#32 ·
Well, I mean people do buy what they feel is best for their needs so it seems they would recommend what they are using. Now, the ones who get me are the people that have used only one tire and claim them to be the best.

I'll recommend my HTRs all day long because they have worked well for me. But I can never say they are hands down the best tire out...which they are, I just can't say that...lol

#33 ·
You know I always wondered which would be better, the 6ply Bighorns or the 8ply Kenda HTR's? They seem to be a good match up. As hard as the rubber is on the Executioners, I wonder if the HTR's would be the same?....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.