Polaris ATV Forum banner

Top speed/rpm ? Mines cutting out like rev limiter

25K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  XESSIVEPOWER 
#1 ·
Ok so I finally got to open the 1000 up a bit and around 62mph it starts to cut out like a rev limiter . I checked the rpm and I am at 7500, dealer told me limited is at 7600. I can get the machine to about 70 at half throttle but that's it but I have tons of throttle left !! Least a half inch to pin it and she wants to pull for more speed but it starts cutting out. 100 percent stock but I am at 5k feet elevation does this have to do with clutching and maybe mines not set for high altitude?

I figure I would be able to floor it non stop and it would just stop at a certain rpm not just sit there and sputter ? Any one else with these issues or is your machine able to be pinned non stop ? I have to back mine down to around half throttle for it to stay at 7500 according to the tach that is any way.

#3 ·
No problems with my sportsman. Pin it from a dead stop and it will pull well over 70mph and still pulls. I have never checked my rpm's though.

#5 ·
That's what I am thinking its in the clutching , the dealer is checking my vin to see if anything is noted if it was changed or not. I will keep you posted as to what comes about. Hopefully it can be a warranty thing otherwise I will order a upgrade clutch set up.

It runs great and powerful but maybe I am not even getting its full potential yet haha

#11 ·
Please share what they find or do..

I was talking to my dealer and they told me its clutched for my elevation and seemed to beat around the bush and told me to just clutch it with an aftermarket kit. I plan to any way but I would rather have them figure the issue out incase it is not clutching so I may drop it off to the dealer before warranty and get my top plastic piece fixed from the steering bashing into it.

#16 ·
I had mine in the sand dunes and no problem keeping it pinned hitting 65 across the sand with low tire pressure. Coming to think of it I was about 4k feet higher in elevation and never had it miss a lick at wide open even down a dirt road I hit 70 but that's probably because the tires were basically flat so it didn't get a higher speed.

Must be something to do with elevation possibly. I'll clutch it as soon as warranty is done and I will probably do all the snorkel type vents for security and better air flow for everything. It is annoying to have this going on when I go rip around dirt roads by my house though . Even raced my buddies yfz450 on tar and it didn't beat me by much lol but the rev limiter was teaching out and hurt the run of it gaining speed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.