Polaris Scrambler Clutch, and Transmission - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Liftedpsd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Angry Polaris Scrambler Clutch, and Transmission

Hi,

I have a 2014 Polaris scrambler 1000 with some customizations on it. I have 28" tires and a 2 inch lift kit.And it has a weird problem. And this problem has happened before. For some reason when ever I stomp on the throttle, it makes a really loud grinding sound coming from the transmission, and once i get up to speed the grinding sound stops. but it does it everytime i stomp on the throttle. And it does it whenever i slow down really fast. And it does it whenever i go through the mud. It is really obnoxious and annoying. But whenever I install a new transmission, the grinding seems to stop and the atv will run normally. But after about 3-4 months the grinding starts again out of no where. I just got done installing its 4th transmission.And the atv is running fine again. But I'm pretty sure the atv is going to start doing the same thing again in a few months. Ive heard about performance clutches that I can get but i don't know if thats the problem. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know how to fix this problem

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Are you replacing the whole transmission or just the clutches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Yes I've been replacing the whole transmission. And the clutches too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Shot in the dark but Could it be the washer coming out of the groove on the secondary bolt?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke7376 View Post
Yes I've been replacing the whole transmission. And the clutches too.

I hate to say it but if youíve put 4 transmissions in and 4 clutches then you must be installing something incorrectly. I canít think of any thing else that would cause that. Is there oil in the trans??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gulf550 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
So I am a little lost and I just want to understand somethings. So rather than disassembling the transmission and evaluating if anything is actually breaking, your actually replacing the entire transmission as an assembly? So, the transmissions are actually quite simple to work on. A simple service manual explains the disassembly, inspection and assembly procedures pretty good. The only thing I could possible think of is there is an oil deflector plate that is held in place by 2 screws. The drive chain rides right over top of them very close. Could it be possible these screws never had thread locker applied to them and are slowly backing out? But it wouldn't make since that its only under a higher load than just a slower acceleration rates. Maybe something is shifting? That's where a good disassembly and inspection would be good to see if and where the problem is. As far as clutches go, I'm not a good one with a grinding noise. Now squealing, just experienced that on my 850 and i needed to rebuild the secondary.

Also, do you know the torque specs on your clutches? The only reason why I am asking is I didn't know the spec on the secondary and I actually over torqued it and caused the helix to contact the plastic inner cover as things heated up.

Last edited by Gulf550; 03-16-2019 at 06:10 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I always make sure that theres enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your responses. And i don't know the specs on the clutches i just know that everything is stock other then the tires and 2 inch lift.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode