Polaris Scrambler 4WD repair - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Polaris Scrambler 4WD repair

Good morning! The 4WD on my 1999 Scrambler 400 hasn't worked since I got it and I can't seem to figure out why. I've torn apart the hubs and everything seems to be in working order. Is there a way for me to check the electrical? I found a thread that went through it but what he described doesn't match up with my ATV. I also found a wiring diagram that I thought was correct but it's different too. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Get all 4 wheels off the ground - start the engine, engage the AWD, set the brake, shift into forward gear, let off the brake and give it some throttle - if all 4 wheels turn it's working!

If the front wheels do not turn as the engine accelerates, find where the hub wires plug into the wiring harness, connect 12 VDC to the wires going to the hubs and try again - if the wheels turn, troubleshoot the AWD circuit - if the wheels do not turn, take the hubs apart and trouble shoot the Hilliard clutch drive components.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

I've jacked it up and know for sure that it isn't working. I'll try the 12 VDC when I get home tonight. How would I go about troubleshooting the AWD circuit? Also, there are four wires that come out of the AWD button/switch on the left handlebar and they're wrapped and when I traced them only three came out the other end. I unwrapped them and two of them are spliced together but it looks more like a factory splice. Is it supposed to be like that? Or are there supposed to be four wires connecting on both sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I'm not familiar with the AWD button being on the left - every thing I has says it's on the right in the throttle housing.

I'm going to presume you have an early model as you say there is only 4 wires coming out of the throttle housing. Late model had 6.

Gray wire went to the hub coils, gray/white went to the gear selector forward wire and the black is the throttle safety switch.

If you have 12 volts on the gray wire, you either have a grounding issue or possibly a faulty hub safety module LR-83-1.
If there is not 12 volts on the gray wire, press the override switch and see if 12 volts appears.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode