1995 Scrambler 400 No power in reverse - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

1995 Scrambler 400 No power in reverse

Bought a 95 Scrambler 400 2-stroke.

I have to push the over-ride button to go in reverse, otherwise the engine dies.
Sometimes I have full power in reverse, and sometimes it is limp mode in reverse even with me pushing the button.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Was thinking maybe a wiring issue, or bad button.
I read about bypassing this reverse, but cannot find anyone who has done it on this model.
I do have a snow plow, and not having to push button would be nice.

Anyone have any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:43 AM

You need to first check that you have a good clean ground (black wire) from the reverse limiter. Number 18 in the pic. But it probably needs a new one.
4060114 LIMITER,REV,LR49

Here's an ebay link to a whole page full of them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...CLR49&_sacat=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2725C007.gif
Views:	6
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	120249  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I think you are right on.
At first I unplugged the black wire coming from the limiter, and thought I had solved my issue. I did not have to hold the button down to put it in reverse, and I had full power. But,after driving for a few minutes the atv died.
So I traced the cables from the limiter, and re plugged them in on the circuit board, and re-plugged in the black wire Did a quick test ride, and so far so good. Time will tell, I need to pull a trailer with it tomorrow to move some wood, hopefully it keeps working. I did do a reverse test and after a while driving in reverse only for a few minutes, the atv again died. Must be some kind of irritating feature.

Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable having to push the button to go in reverse. Every solution I tried works for a few minutes before the atv shuts off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:07 PM

Try unplugging the black/ground wire coming from the CDI (#17) and the limiter and see what it does. From your description of what happened with the limiter ungrounded, the fault may actually be in the CDI instead of the rev limiter. Or it could be both. When you do that the machine will not shut off with the key or the kill switch until you ground the black wire again. If it runs good and doesn't stall sand off the grounding spot(s) and make sure the wires are good and ground them each again independently of each other one at a time to see if the problem returns and try to determine if its one or the other or both.
I've seen at least one case in which BOTH parts needed replaced to fix the machine.

Here's a link to a page full of cdi's for your machine: 3084790 CDI SYSTEM

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0%09CDI+SYSTEM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2725D006.gif
Views:	4
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	120265  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

You were right, it is either one of these components. I cleaned off the ground connections, and have been driving for the last two days. So far, so good.
I'm just wondering if it would damage anything to drive with both of these disconnected? I could just shut it off with the choke.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:41 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

If you are running it with the black wire disconnected from just the CDI box, then the CDI is good and the problem is either the Reverse limiter or possibly the wiring - touching the black wire on the CDI box to and ground point will kill the engine - the reverse limiter is tied into the alternator to sense engine speed and cuts the ignition momentarily to limit engine speed - pressing the override button prevents the reverse limiter from killing the spark if the button is functioning properly, the wiring connectors plugged into the LH switch assy. are making good contact and the reverse limiter is operating properly. If you unplug the limiter and the engine dies and you unplug the black wire to the CDI box and I will run, then the problem is the black wire in the wiring harness id grounding somewhere. The only way to kill spark is to ground the black wire or unplug the stator from the wiring harness/CDI box.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in