Voltage drop at ignition - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Voltage drop at ignition

Hi everyone,second post first one never showed up,I probably hit wrong key, Iíve got a 2009 scrambler 500 4x4.when I turn key on power coming in drops to 3volts and two other wires show 3volts,turn key off and power in shows 12volts.turn key back and forth a bunch of times and randomly it will show 12v on everything and quad will start.then three seconds later goes back to 3volts. Itís gone back and forth from3v to 12v and back to3v 30 times while trying to figure it out.thanks for any held,,,,Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

First check the voltage on the battery key off and on - if the battery voltage varies, replace the battery - if the voltage is constant, check for 12v on the red wire at the SSCB (PDM) - if the voltage on the red wire varies when the key switch is cycled on repair the connection to the battery terminal or repair or replace the fusible link - if the voltage is constant, check for 12 v on the orange wire at the PDM, if the voltage varies on the orange wire, replace the PDM - if the voltage on the orange wire is constant, check the 12v on the red/blk wire at the LH handlebar switch connector - if the voltage varies each time the key is switched on either repair the connection the connection at the key switch or replace the switch - if the voltage is constant each time the switch is cycled to on, check the voltage on the red/wht wire at the handlebar switch - if the voltage varies, repair the wiring connectors or replace the handle bar switch - if the voltage is constant, you are going to have check every red/blk and red/white connection in the wiring harness until you find the bad connection.

I think I got this all straight - let me know if you get stuck or as confused as I am most of the time.
FPD218 likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help,will go though steps after work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Chasing voltage drop

No change at battery with key on or off.

Red wire at EDU shows 12v no change if key on or off

Orange wire at key, key off 12v.key on 3v,,,3v at orange,red/black,red/white ,,,,white/red nothing

White/red to solenoid from key unplugged with brown wire at soleniod,with key on 3v with key off back to 12v
I hooked soleniod back up

Red/black to safety switch from key unplugged at safety switch key off nothing key on 12v three other wires nothing

Light unplugged at safety switch(larger of two plugs) voltage doesnít drop with key on

Have new safety switch coming,tried to take it apart
Also new soleniod coming,looked crappy

Hopefully new parts will be in Friday,any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Don
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Don, you need a new SSCB (controller module) part number 4011700

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Kinda figured that

Just curious on what part of the test showed you that, I kinda figured it was that,but it confused me because I cane get it to work and start quad by flipping switch a bunch of time,,Iím ordering part tonight. Thanks for the help
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

The SSCB has a solid state relay that controls the 12v on the orange wire - when you turn the key on, 12v is supposed to flow from the SSCB to the key switch - if the voltage drop is between the red wire and the orange wire, then the solid state relay is obstructing the flow - if you tap into the orange wire and connect directly to the battery, it will turn on every time, but it does not fix the problem - the SSCB also controls the fan, hot light and a couple other things - if the main power relay is faulty, the other relays are probably right behind it - might be more catastrophic if the fan were to fail while 5 miles from civilization.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Getting closer(hopefully)

Still having a no power when turning ignition on sometimes,but turn it on/off two or three time and it comes on,ive replaced the safety switch setup on left handle bar,ignition switch and control module.the problem wire seams to be the red/white out of the ignition.but what I have noticed is that when I turn the ignition on when I get no power and move the shifter the power comes on and it starts,can I bypass neutral safety switch.any help would be appreciated thanks Don
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Power comes out of the SSCB on the orange wire - the orange wire goes to the key switch - when the key switch is turned on, power comes out of the switch on the red/blk wire and goes to the LH switch assy - power comes out of the LH switch on the red/wht wire and goes to a 6 wire splice (#1) - from the splice; (#2) red/wht wire back to the key switch, (#3) goes to the neutral switch, (#4) goes to the SSCB, (#5) goes to the CDI unit, (#6) goes to the reverse limiter - when the key switch is turned to the start position, power comes out of the switch on the wht/red wire and goes to the solenoid to initiate the starter motor. The tie in to the neutral switch is; power goes in on the r/w wire and comes out on the dark green when in neutral, out on violet when in reverse and out on grey/white when in HIGH range - when in neutral, power from the r/w wire is on the gark green wire - the dg wire goes to a 3 way splice: (#1) power in, (#2) goes to the neutral light and (#3) goes to the SSCB. If you replaced the SSCB, then the problem is probably at one of the splices and if the neutral light is on whenever it is in neutral, then the problem must be the dark green wire splice or a ground issue. Power must be on the red/wht wire before it is on the dark green wire. If playing with the gear shift seems to alleviate the problem, it has to be intermittant power on the dg wire at the SSCB, a faulty ground (brown wire) at the SSCB or a faulty SSCB.

I hope this helps

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Ok,just went and unplugged neutral safety switch and power comes on all the time,canít get it not to turn on.so while I chase out wires or could it be the safety switch..any thoughts?? Also will it hurt riding with safety switch disconnected till I figure this out.
Thanks for all the help. Don

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in