How to remove swingarm pivot bolts - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

How to remove swingarm pivot bolts

hello all,

How do I remove the pivot bolts for the swingarm on a 99 scrambler 4x4. they look pretty big like around 46mm. I would like to know what socket / wrench to use. Also, does the cvt stuff need to come off before I can take the left bolt off?

Thanks,

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

First off, welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Buy a dealership service manula on Ebay. $10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 AM

I just changed the swing arm bushings on my 2006 scrambler. It is a fairly big job. Both clutches have to be removed in order to access the left hand bolt. The drive clutch requires a puller from polaris which cost $70 canadian. Having done the whole job I discovered that most of the play was caused by the right hand bolt being loose. The shank of the bolt had become worn against the frame so I replaced it, $18. The bushings where really not in bad shape. To make a long story short, before you start tearing into the bike check the torque on the easily accessable right hand bolt. It should be 150 ft lbs. The right hand side being the thrust side will likely wear or come loose first. Remember Loctite is your friend.

Cheers,

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM

yes your primary and secondary clutches will have to be removed and the backing cover (behind clutches) to get to the swing arm bolt what i did was go to lowes and bought a 1 3/4 socket (6 point cheapy) then cut off the end where the ratchet gos on and welded a 12 inch piece of 1 7/8 pipe on it then welded the end that you cut off on to the other end so what you have is a very deep socket this way you can use it for the swingarm and that nasty rear axel nut and be able to use a impacket to do either job,i think the socket was like 6 bucks very well worth it!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM

2002 scram 500 4x4

I no this is a older thread, but I went to Change my rear swing arm bushings while the shock was out getting serviced. And this thread was some what helpful but I am a handy person. For those that might not have messes with this kinda stuff il break it down.
First thing I did was removed the clutch cover. I removed the bolts that holds on the clutches. Not haven a primary clutch puller I took a sledge hammer and beat it tell it fell off....just kidding. I loaded up the atv and went to my local Polaris shop and he pulled the clutch off for free. I did see the pullers going around 30 on eBay.
So now I have both clutched off. Remember how it all came off! There is a little washer behind the secondary clutch.
Next remove 7 screws that hold that back plate on, pull it off. On the right side remove 4 screws that hold on the Guard.
My rear shock was already off, you should get away with just removing the bottom bolt. I had to cut mine off and buy new bolt and bushing. Also remove your rear brake.
Ok now I grabbed the 1 3/4 socket, ratchet and Extension. I didn't have to rig up any special tool to fit in there but not every one has this kind of tools.
Both sides broke loose very smoothly, Proper tools for the job!

Ok so now I pulled the swing arm out, the left side is a easy change of bushings.
The right side I grabbed a 24" pipe wrench and a 1 11/16 socket I believe. And broke that assembly apart. Replaced the bushings on both sides and tightened it back up.
I cleaned the area and greased it very well.
Installing it all back up is pretty much a reverse process. Please use lock tight on every bolt and grease the fittings.
I don't know Torque settings as I just roughed it.

Notes: while swing arm off clean it up really good

I'm replacing chain and sprockets
Changing the front is very easy while swinger is off.
This is my first write up, so about lack of details ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1859
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	10856   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	5708
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	10857   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	4751
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	10858  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM

My rear wheel alignment seems to be off. What's the best way to check for this and what would the causes be? Worn out bushing?
Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Grab it by the rear rack and yank it back and forth, if it's worn, easy to see the movement. I had a machine shop make bronze bushings for my 97 Sportsman. It's a bitch of a job, but you won't believe how much better it handles. Those plastic bushings are junk, imho. Good time to replace chain and sprocket if they are worn. Check tightness of all engine mount bolts and transmission mounting bolts. Yes, locktite everything. 2 strokes loosen everything if not locktited. Machine shop charged me $55 for 2 bronze bushings.

2001 Arctic Cat 500 manual shift. 7,000 miles 30" Mudzillas , 5 degree timing advance ,Web 228 race cam,K&N, AEM wideband, drilled and clipped, Dynojet needle,muffler mod, rear sway bar,Warn 3000 winch, Trail Tech Voyager. 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400l , 2002 AC 400 FIS manual shift.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM

I'm having the same problem, does anyone have good recommended bushing and pivot bolt kit?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in