Polaris ATV Forum banner

'99 400 scrambler 4x4 tranny swap

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Str8Ugly 
#1 ·
I've done some searching on the net and I'm very interested in doing a tranny swap on my old bike in order to get a low gear.

I've only read about this being done with explorer and magnum tranny's, but I was wondering if there are any other options for me? Say a sportsman 400/500?

Anyone? Any info/advice would be much appreciated! Thank-you.

#4 ·
Neither of the models I mentioned were shaft/chain??? Were there any years of any other models that had a low gear that would bolt right up to my bike?
Also, does anyone know what size sprockets I could change to, in order to run the same size tire front/back?

#5 ·
Another thought... Has anyone squeezed another engine/tranny, from another model that may have more cc's and a low gear, without too much difficulty?

Thanks...

#8 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I've started looking around where I'm at, but haven't found anything just yet. I want the shaft drive upfront as well, so it limits the years, too. I'm following your build on that other forum... :)

Good luck to you too.... Gonna be sweet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.