Polaris ATV Forum banner

? about the starter Bendix

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dwhst9 
#1 ·
yes i have a polaris scrambler 400 4X4 1995 and the problem is when i go to start my atv all i hear is a grinding noise and after asking a few people they tell me it is my starter Bendix now i have taken it out twice and have cleaned it and oiled it but it continues to do the same thing. i really dont think that its my starter because then it wouldnt spin at all (i would assume) and heres the funny thing it opens up very good and the spring is very responsive so i am stumped i just would like to make sure that it is the Bendix before purchasing it/anything
THANKS
RUBEN

#2 · (Edited)
First off did you check teeth on both bendix an flywheel...for broken teeth...when you had bendix out did you see if it mates ok with flywheel.....

second....did this for you before or this a new ATV..reason I ask if new to you could be wrong bendix...

is the starter in good..not cocked to one side..just takes a bit...or loose even....check shaft to see it runs true an not bent a bit....may have a bad bearing/bushing in starter head....check for play....

try these before you go buy one...

Oh ..does it grind when its started...or trying to start....if when started an running an grinds...most likely the bendix...weak return spring....

did this work proir to now

#3 · (Edited)
yes all the teeth on both are good and ive had this atv for about 2 years and starter is straight and yes when in and set i turned it by hand and it matches up wiih the teeth on the flywheel now whats this about a weak return spring are u saying that even it is returning it could be bad because the spring is weak ans yes it was working just fine and yes it does grind but i can get it started because of the grinding but will start through pull rope
THANKS
RUBEN

#6 ·
Sounds like it's time for a starter drive(bendix). What happens is ,the lil claws that make the starter drive lock up are all worn down or you have one thats broken. Try psep.com

#7 ·
okay so a quick update it turned out to be the Bendix but i went ahead a just got the entire kit from db electrical the starter, Bendix, and gasket really cheap, but it turns out that another thing went wrong(sighing) my oil injection cable is getting stuck, that is whenever i push the throttle it doesnt return to its original position so do any of u guys have a 400 scrambler that u just elimanated the oil injection and started pre-ming if so what ratio should i use and heres a little history on my machine i have over bored the engine to 84mm which the original was 83mm or 83.5mm i cant remember right now but everything else is stock.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

#8 ·
Yes, you can buy an oil injection block-off kit. Also replace your throttle cable with a single cable. I've seen guys keep the stock dual-cable and it can make the throttle hang open when disconnected from the oil injection. Rick Ritter can offer his advice and has the parts you need. Rick is a great guy and makes a TON of go-fast parts for the 400:

Ritter Cycle Racing
St. Jacob IL 62281
Phone (618) 644-3211

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.