Pre Wired Winch harness and SuperWinch Terra 35 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Pre Wired Winch harness and SuperWinch Terra 35

Hi all,

I am a new 2017 Sportsman 570 owner as of yesterday and have been looking at winches to install on this ATV. I have been looking at Warn and Superwinch and have heard some great things about the Superwinch and the price is hard to beat. One of the main selling points for me on the 570 was the preinstalled Winch harness. I wanted to ask some questions now that I have done some research. Is this harness only designed to plug into Polaris branded Winches or would it work on something like the Superwinch Terra 35? I know you have to run your leads to the battery and what not but having the convenience of not having to fish extra wires is nice and I'd like to use it if I can. Second, do I need a mount kit to install any winch including the Superwinch T35? I read where KFI makes a good mount, does anyone else have experience with this mount? Lastly, has any other forum users used the Superwinch T35 and what are your thoughts on the installation and experience with using this winch?

Thanks for your time!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
The only winch that works with Polaris' prewired setup is there winches, I think KFI makes mounting plates for different winches but I'm not for sure but you will need one. The Polaris winch will by far be the easiest to install.
marcus556 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC25 View Post
The only winch that works with Polaris' prewired setup is there winches, I think KFI makes mounting plates for different winches but I'm not for sure but you will need one. The Polaris winch will by far be the easiest to install.
I believe you are right there. Pre-wired only works with Polaris winches. But Polaris wants big $$$ for their winches. All winches work the same way so they need the same wiring and components. Switch, contactor, power and ground. So you should be able to adapt the Polaris wiring to work with some other brand. SteveC25 is right though, Polaris winch will be the easiest to install.
SteveC25 and marcus556 like this.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 AM
ATV Enthusiast

My Polaris winch took all of 25 minutes to install on my 2015 570 !!
marcus556 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Stave is right, all winches use same power points, may have to change wire ends or something simple, but buddy and i bought have the terra 3500 and theyve been worked brutally, spend as much time submerged as they do above water due to our riding areas and terrain- incurrently own 3 Superwinch winches, 2 on my machine front/rear and one on trailer. Owned 3 others for many yrs on other toys- never had any issues with them at any time, and this Terra line up is spectacular!!

Huge mark up on a polaris rebadge guys have problems with vs a kick ass piece for less, not even a consideration even if you had to wite the Terra from scratch; its worth it with the power and reliability they have
marcus556 likes this.

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledaddy View Post
Stave is right, all winches use same power points, may have to change wire ends or something simple, but buddy and i bought have the terra 3500 and theyve been worked brutally, spend as much time submerged as they do above water due to our riding areas and terrain- incurrently own 3 Superwinch winches, 2 on my machine front/rear and one on trailer. Owned 3 others for many yrs on other toys- never had any issues with them at any time, and this Terra line up is spectacular!!

Huge mark up on a polaris rebadge guys have problems with vs a kick ass piece for less, not even a consideration even if you had to wite the Terra from scratch; its worth it with the power and reliability they have
Thanks all for your responses. Kind of sucks that they narrowed you down to just one winch setup but then again that's marketing for you. Are the Polaris rebrands actually Warn winches and if so are they the ProVantage or just the regular Vantage?

I am seriously considering the rewiring for the Superwinch but then what would happen with then existing wiring? Would that need to be removed or like someone else said can I just piggy back on top of that wiring? Seems like I could splice into it, but that's just me and my minor electrical skills think.

The price is hard to beat especially when bought from Amazon, and even though I would need to buy a mount on top of the winch it's still under $200 for the T35.

Thanks again for all your replies!

Marcus

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

If you dont use factory wires, not hurting anything having them just taking up space. But as mentioned a few times, factory or aftermarket, they need/use the same wires to operate the winch/make it work. Theres nothing special wiring wise between the polaris winch or any other brand; its just knowing what wires are what on the machine and hooking them up accordingly- or just use the wires and do it from scratch with the ones that come with the SW. not a difficult task either way honestly.

Last i heard the “polaris” winch was a Warn rebrand (essentially renamed twice) Warn was awarded the contract, they farmed the job out to some other company who builds them and puts a Polaris label on them. Happens way more than you think with most things we buy/consume in our lives. But ive had friends with Warn winches on their ATV’s, and ive honestly never been impressed with them on their atv sized stuff.

Most of us ride with each other so our equipment goes theu the same riggors, we’ve tried 2500 vs 2500 (sw vs warn) on a stuck buddy, 3500 vs 3500 (sw vs warn) and warn either overrates their units or uses inferior wiring that is restricting motor power because they just always seem weaker. And ive never torn my SW down over the years to clean/maintain- while the warn owners after a yr or two it seems like it becomes mandatory or it just fails in the woods at any given point.

I speak biasedly only because ive seen it, and with Warn upselling a big percentage on name alone, ill gladly use the cheaper brand that just gets the job done no matter what.

If you can up your budget, opt for synthetic line too- i got rope on the front and cable on the rear- suprisingly rear winch is used 5:1 over front winch since installing, but rope is just as strong and sooo much nicer to work with if you winch alot (like we do).
marcus556 likes this.

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledaddy View Post
If you dont use factory wires, not hurting anything having them just taking up space. But as mentioned a few times, factory or aftermarket, they need/use the same wires to operate the winch/make it work. Theres nothing special wiring wise between the polaris winch or any other brand; its just knowing what wires are what on the machine and hooking them up accordingly- or just use the wires and do it from scratch with the ones that come with the SW. not a difficult task either way honestly.

Last i heard the “polaris” winch was a Warn rebrand (essentially renamed twice) Warn was awarded the contract, they farmed the job out to some other company who builds them and puts a Polaris label on them. Happens way more than you think with most things we buy/consume in our lives. But ive had friends with Warn winches on their ATV’s, and ive honestly never been impressed with them on their atv sized stuff.

Most of us ride with each other so our equipment goes theu the same riggors, we’ve tried 2500 vs 2500 (sw vs warn) on a stuck buddy, 3500 vs 3500 (sw vs warn) and warn either overrates their units or uses inferior wiring that is restricting motor power because they just always seem weaker. And ive never torn my SW down over the years to clean/maintain- while the warn owners after a yr or two it seems like it becomes mandatory or it just fails in the woods at any given point.

I speak biasedly only because ive seen it, and with Warn upselling a big percentage on name alone, ill gladly use the cheaper brand that just gets the job done no matter what.

If you can up your budget, opt for synthetic line too- i got rope on the front and cable on the rear- suprisingly rear winch is used 5:1 over front winch since installing, but rope is just as strong and sooo much nicer to work with if you winch alot (like we do).
Thanks for the lenghty response! I am leaning more and more towards the SW T35. Glad you brought up the Synthetic Rope as well. Last time I bought a winch that option was not there and it just seem like metal wire would be the better way to go. I'll keep this in mind.

If anyone has a video of them installing a SW on a Polaris 570, 2017 model preferrably that would be a great help. I may be coming back to this forum for help when I order the winch so thanks again for everyones input.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 04:06 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I have the terra 35 and am happy with it. Needed the KFI mount for it. I left all of the OEM wiring in place. The system was easy to wire up and there is plenty of room to tie up the wiring and make it look professional.
The biggest drawback is the limited access to the front diff to add/check fluid. But I am not sure that was worth the added cost for the Polaris winch.
marcus556 likes this.

2017 570 EPS camo
superwinch terra 35
Hornet Outdoors rear rack extender
Tough Rack - Front

previous:
2007 500 Deluxe
totaled June 2014
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
You can get a KFI stealth model winch with synthetic rope for less than 300 bucks. Heard they are great winches. Considering getting one for my 850 sp.
marcus556 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode