Lock and Ride rear Cargo Box - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Lock and Ride rear Cargo Box

I bought the original lock and ride rear cargo box for my 2009 550XP a couple of years ago and it worked great. About a year ago I bought a 2018 570SP and I thought it fit fine until I got on some bumpy trails with it. It constantly comes off unless I have a bunjee securing it. I have adjusted the lock and ride anchors but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else had this experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pol rear box.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	918.2 KB
ID:	115693  

Last edited by bsponenberg; 02-05-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

yup, i bolted mine down from inside with screw bolts and some big stainless fender washers.

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
I have all my boxes mounted with 1/4-20 J-Bolts (down thru the rack hole and hooked on bottom side of rack), Fender washers and Plastic Wing Knobs.

Secure & Easy to remove!

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
I have all my boxes mounted with 1/4-20 J-Bolts (down thru the rack hole and hooked on bottom side of rack), Fender washers and Plastic Wing Knobs.

Secure & Easy to remove!
That's what I was gonna suggest. ^^
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:

Secure & Easy to remove!
so remove the lock and ride mount from the metal bracket and replace with that?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsponenberg View Post
Quote:

Secure & Easy to remove!
so remove the lock and ride mount from the metal bracket and replace with that?
That's where I'd start.... I never liked the idea of the Lock & Ride rubber [email protected] plugs, so I drilled my boxes to match the L&R hole pattern (w/ a 17/64" hole) and used the j-bolts, washers and wings to secure. Note, the j-bolts to impede into the box by about 1.25-1.5", but really not much worse then the L&R clamp handle. And for the security, piece of mind and cost difference.... I can easily live with the bolt leg in the box.

Once you have all the items installed "loosely" in the box.... set it on the rack, dropping the j-bolts into the L&R holes. Then "fish" them around until they "hook" on the rack hole lip and then simply spin the wing knob until "good & hand tight".

I think the J-bolts I purchased from the hardware store (Fleet Farm) were about 3" long. I had to slightly pinch / bend the "J" closed to fit down the L&R hole and the rest is as explained above.

Matthew "MustBeNice"

Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar

Last edited by MustBeNice; 02-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
might recommend a star washer between the fender washer and the wing nut to keep them from accidentally backing off.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2017 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
Front Utility Rack
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
might recommend a star washer between the fender washer and the wing nut to keep them from accidentally backing off.
Not a bad idea, for an added layer of protection & piece of mind. Maybe I've gotten lucky, but I haven't used one and have gotten by with my "Good and Hand Tight" method on the wing knob.... or basically hand tightening it until I physically can't -or- think the knob will break.

Prior to using the knobs, I used Nylock Nuts and a deep well socket and/or a ratchet wrench. The change to the knobs came when our son wanted to have the box on for some rides/uses, but not all.... so I went to the knobs.

Matthew "MustBeNice"

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Just wanted to follow up and say this worked out great. Easy on and off and very secure. Unfortunately the longest j bolt I was able to find was 2.25 at ace or Home Depot. Fastenal has a $25 minimum on counter purchases. On the look out for a 3 j bolt. Thanks for the great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:11 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Very much not a fan of the lock and rides. I have a kimprex rear seat/storage that I mounted by drilling directly through the back rack and through bolting with 6 (3 per side) 3/8" x 3/4" stainless steel bolts, large 3/8" flat washers and lock nuts. Used a piece of thin rubber between the Kimprex and my back rack at each bolt up spot. If you are looking to have the rear seat/storage easily removable then this is not a good option. For me, I have no reason to remove it.

The kimprex has been on for over a year now and ive had zero issues with it or the way it's mounted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in