2017 570 sportsman SP WTH??? - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
jo191145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 35
2017 570 sportsman SP WTH???

I’m confused. My sister just brought home a 2017 570 sp. 200 miles on it. Power steering standard option.
Took it for a quick squirt on some tar. In 4x4 mode the front wheels are constantly engaged. What’s up with that? I have a 2018 utility and my 4by is automatic contingent on rear wheel spin. I can never feel the front fighting in a turn because it’s engaged.
Set hers to 4x2 and the fronts free wheel.
I was under the impression all sportsman’s were the same, like mine. It’s a big selling feature. 2017 isn’t that old is it?
So did her machine come with full time 4by or is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.
jo191145 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:23 PM
ATV Enthusiast
 
NorthernHillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo191145 View Post
Iím confused. My sister just brought home a 2017 570 sp. 200 miles on it. Power steering standard option.
Took it for a quick squirt on some tar. In 4x4 mode the front wheels are constantly engaged. Whatís up with that? I have a 2018 utility and my 4by is automatic contingent on rear wheel spin. I can never feel the front fighting in a turn because itís engaged.
Set hers to 4x2 and the fronts free wheel.
I was under the impression all sportsmanís were the same, like mine. Itís a big selling feature. 2017 isnít that old is it?
So did her machine come with full time 4by or is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.
How do you know the front is engaged?
NorthernHillbilly is offline  
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Moderator
 
polman500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SE Kentucky
Posts: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo191145 View Post
I’m confused. My sister just brought home a 2017 570 sp. 200 miles on it. Power steering standard option.
Took it for a quick squirt on some tar. In 4x4 mode the front wheels are constantly engaged. What’s up with that? I have a 2018 utility and my 4by is automatic contingent on rear wheel spin. I can never feel the front fighting in a turn because it’s engaged.
Set hers to 4x2 and the fronts free wheel.
I was under the impression all sportsman’s were the same, like mine. It’s a big selling feature. 2017 isn’t that old is it?
So did her machine come with full time 4by or is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like its got a cage cracked making it stay locked in.
polman500 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
jo191145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo191145 View Post
Iím confused. My sister just brought home a 2017 570 sp. 200 miles on it. Power steering standard option.
Took it for a quick squirt on some tar. In 4x4 mode the front wheels are constantly engaged. Whatís up with that? I have a 2018 utility and my 4by is automatic contingent on rear wheel spin. I can never feel the front fighting in a turn because itís engaged.
Set hers to 4x2 and the fronts free wheel.
I was under the impression all sportsmanís were the same, like mine. Itís a big selling feature. 2017 isnít that old is it?
So did her machine come with full time 4by or is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like its got a cage cracked making it stay locked in.
Whatís a cage?
It doesnít stay locked in per se. Switch to two wheel and it is two wheeling. Seems the on demand is somehow broken and when you switch to 4x4 itís constantly engaged in 4x4.
Iíve talked to two dealers and in my neck of the woods they arenít very helpful. Letís just say they have no clue about much of anything.
jo191145 is offline  
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 AM
ATV Enthusiast
 
Mel556180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cadillac, Michigan
Posts: 89
2017 570 sportsman SP WTH???

I have two Sportsman quads: a 2014 570 and a 2017 850.

The 570 is either full time 4X4 or 2X4, while the newer 850 has the auto 4X4 and normal 2X4. Iíve seen newer 570s with the Auto 4X4.

Seems Polaris moved to the auto feature somewhere along the line...
jo191145 likes this.

Last edited by Mel556180; 04-28-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Mel556180 is offline  
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
 
indyred570's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,344
I have a 2014 570 and leave the switch in 4x4 most of the time we ride. Mine is not locked in 4x4 at all times, only when the rear tires start to slip. I definitely know when, the steering is stiffer.
jo191145 likes this.

2014 Sportsman 570
Powermadd Hand Guards
Viper Elite 3000 Winch/KFI mount
Denali Snow Plow
Polaris HD Front Springs
Kenda Executioners
Ricochet A-arm guards
QSC clutch kit

indyred570 is offline  
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
midwest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 289
I have a base model 16 570 and was under the impression the 4x4 is similar to an AWD vehicle. If it detects slippage/a need it will engage, other wise you are running like 2WD.
jo191145 likes this.
midwest is offline  
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
jo191145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
I have a base model 16 570 and was under the impression the 4x4 is similar to an AWD vehicle. If it detects slippage/a need it will engage, other wise you are running like 2WD.
Thanks. Iíve come to the same conclusion. Now to figure out what could or would cause it? So far Iíve got nuthin. Lots of folk complaining the on demand wonít engage the fronts. Nothing on itís unwillingness to disengage yet.
jo191145 is offline  
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
Lon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 174
The 2017 570 SP should have the high performance close ratio AWD system. It should, technically, disengage. Although, of the few times I've gone into AWD, I've felt it. And this was just testing it... it never really felt like it disengaged while in AWD mode. I didn't see it as a problem then. Not sure I see it as a problem now, either. I figured the close ratio was what was keeping it in AWD.
jo191145 likes this.

2017 Sportsman 570 SP Hunter Edition
2019 Honda FourTrax Rancher 420 FA6
Lon is offline  
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
jo191145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
The 2017 570 SP should have the high performance close ratio AWD system. It should, technically, disengage. Although, of the few times I've gone into AWD, I've felt it. And this was just testing it... it never really felt like it disengaged while in AWD mode. I didn't see it as a problem then. Not sure I see it as a problem now, either. I figured the close ratio was what was keeping it in AWD.
Thanks Lon. Sounds like your machine is operating like my sisters.
I can understand not considering it a problem if youíve never experienced different. Not saying you havenít. Sounds like you seldom go into 4 wheel mode?
Iím just the opposite on my utility. Seldom take it out of 4 wheel because thereís no reason to. Fronts are totally disengaged unless itís called for. To be honest I canít tell the difference in steering force when they do engage. Never tried doing donuts on tar to see what would happen. Itís seldom on tar. Of course I use the fronts to get around tight slow corners when needed by blurping the throttle. Snow, mud itís all there and ready to go. Itís just a nice smooth operation with light steering involved at all times.
I made sure to tell my sister to get a model with power steering so she wouldnít be fighting the handlebars all the time. Having the front engaged constantly almost negates the benefit of having power steering unless you drive around in two wheel mode.
If nothing else Iíve discovered itís not a new technology. Itís been around for a long time so I know itís not just a different machine scenario as some mechanics have suggested.
jo191145 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Sportsman etx barely will run, pops, stalls PaYankee Polaris Sportsman 12 10-21-2018 04:38 PM
Clutch Trevor Goodrum ATV Performance Modifications 4 09-13-2018 01:43 PM
hilliard clutch dbweathe ATV Repair and Maintenance 2 12-27-2017 07:28 AM
Ignition switch 570 sportsman Fivespeed ATV New Members 4 12-15-2017 07:03 AM
Polaris Rear Subframe Back Sub Frame Rack Mount Support Bracket 1040490-067 razorsharp Polaris Sportsman 3 12-10-2017 08:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome