570 Fuel mixture - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

1Likes
  • 1 Post By latebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

570 Fuel mixture

So guys im new and I just got a 2019 570 sportsman. My name is caleb and I work for Jaguar Land Rover as a technician. Just had a couple questions with some of you who are more knowledgeable on these bikes. So I have pure methanol sitting at my shop which is around a 110-114 octane. I thought mixing meth into the 85 octane I have here would be a good way to raise octane to 91-93 because I got the methanol free (and I have done this before on high hp motors) Boy was I wrong, thing ran like crap if it ran at all. So to those who know, do these ecms not adjust for more alcohol in the fuel like cars do? Is it even possible to run this on a different tune? ive heard these already run lean so more alcohol would make this worse if they don't adjust. Thanks guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

No, the ECM does not adjust for fuel quality - the recommended fuel is typically 87 octane non-ethanol and 89 ethanol blended - concentrations of more than 10% ethanol can damage fuel system components (89 octane is recommended for ethanol blended fuel because 89 is 85 octane blended appx. 10% with 100 octane ethanol to attain 89 octane. Ethanol reduces power (just like 110 octane aviation gas does) but ethanol also reduces fuel economy, damages plastic and rubber components in the fuel system and draws moisture causing the ethanol to separate from the gasoline. You can safely run 91 to 93 octane pump gas, but there is no performance improvement in doing so. Higher octane fuels typically have lower concentrations of ethanol.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Ok well that's good to know. Had to drain tank last night and refill with 85 and it runs fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I do all I can to use REC gas and also add SeaFoam all the time.

I despise corn gas after all the damage Iíve seen it do to small engines and parts. Fuel injection or carburetor, I could care less. Iím done with corn gas !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

It's not even made from corn anymore - it's being made from Algae - green gas my ass!
SunShine01 likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Yahoo! Just found out my friend who owns the station about a mile from me decided to now stock 93 pure gas. No more corn juice for me unless it comes in a Mason jar.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
It's not even made from corn anymore - it's being made from Algae - green gas my ass!

Lol

They grow some green type of grass on my hunting lease Iím told is used to make gas. To me itís all corn gas and itís garbage !

Now that weíve become the biggest exporter of oil, why canít we get oil companies to give us pure gas again ? It was bad enough going lead free but now this corn oil gas is junk !!! You really do need 93 octane if you want some performance.

Plus corn feed would back down to $4-$5 a bag of corn which would make my feed bill less too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

It's not the gas companies - it's the alcohol producers - the gas companies don't want alcohol mixed with gas, but the alcohol producers lobby convinced congress it was good for the economy and the environment - so it was educated idiots legislating what was good for the alcohol producers was good for consumer. The only economy that benefited from blending alcohol with gas was the alcohol producers economy. Alcohol fuel expels the same exhaust emissions as gasoline, but in slightly different amounts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
It's not the gas companies - it's the alcohol producers - the gas companies don't want alcohol mixed with gas, but the alcohol producers lobby convinced congress it was good for the economy and the environment - so it was educated idiots legislating what was good for the alcohol producers was good for consumer. The only economy that benefited from blending alcohol with gas was the alcohol producers economy. Alcohol fuel expels the same exhaust emissions as gasoline, but in slightly different amounts.
Its no real mystery guys... and its not idiot legislators... its all about the big money and who benefits from it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode