can you guys provide insight on a few problems im having? - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

can you guys provide insight on a few problems im having?

hey guys, i ride my 570 fairly hard (same way i rode my previous hondas) and im having a couple really annoying issues

1. my steering (not an eps model) has developed a LOUD squeak that no amount of WD40 or oil seems to be able to fix
2. at around 60kmh/35mph i get a wicked shake, tried balancing beads they were no help. stock wheels or aftermarket wheels/tires doesnt seem to matter

starting to really regret going to an American OEM again, this thing is getting beyond frustrating at this point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_133604.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	118401  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew24 View Post
hey guys, i ride my 570 fairly hard (same way i rode my previous hondas) and im having a couple really annoying issues

1. my steering (not an eps model) has developed a LOUD squeak that no amount of WD40 or oil seems to be able to fix
2. at around 60kmh/35mph i get a wicked shake, tried balancing beads they were no help. stock wheels or aftermarket wheels/tires doesnt seem to matter

starting to really regret going to an American OEM again, this thing is getting beyond frustrating at this point
i would use a silicon spray instead, maybe its the shock bushings that are squeaking,
Have you tried only 5 psi in tires ? it made i big difference on some ITP XTR's i have. You can have OEM steel stockers balanced at a tire shop, before balancing my rims , the bars would rock back and forth at higher speeds '

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmandan View Post
Quote:

i would use a silicon spray instead, maybe its the shock bushings that are squeaking,
Have you tried only 5 psi in tires ? it made i big difference on some ITP XTR's i have. You can have OEM steel stockers balanced at a tire shop, before balancing my rims , the bars would rock back and forth at higher speeds '
it was perfectly smooth on stockers last time it sat on them, now after removing my aftermarket wheels it shakes the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:02 AM

It would seem to me that these are related. I would think the loud squeek is coming from a steering joint somewhere that hasnít held up to your hard riding style. This might not be easy to physically see. Check every pivot point in the steering system. Might have to upgrade to heavier duty components. Also, maybe try raising the front end off the ground and turn the bars back and forth.
This is only my two cents. I have a 19 year old Sportsman and it has held up extremely well for what i put it through. Good luck
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:25 AM

You can't fix anything by spraying WD40 on it. You also can't tell what's wrong by riding the machine. You have to jack it up, get down on the garage floor and LOOK for what's wrong. If the squeak and the shake seem to be related I'd say you have a dry wheel bearing(s) that need replaced. Honda wheel bearings go bad too believe it or not. I've replaced a bunch of them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

[QUOTE
it was perfectly smooth on stockers last time it sat on them, now after removing my aftermarket wheels it shakes the same[/QUOTE]
I was gonna say dented wheel but you switched wheels.
what about a bad tire?ball joint,tie rod or ends ??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
You can't fix anything by spraying WD40 on it. You also can't tell what's wrong by riding the machine. You have to jack it up, get down on the garage floor and LOOK for what's wrong. If the squeak and the shake seem to be related I'd say you have a dry wheel bearing(s) that need replaced. Honda wheel bearings go bad too believe it or not. I've replaced a bunch of them.
i put 8x the mileage on my previous japanese made quad never had an issue let alone within the first 1500km. it was on jackstands when i discovered the squeak in the steering, everything in the front end seems fine, nothing obvious is f'ed up anyway
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duse View Post
[QUOTE
it was perfectly smooth on stockers last time it sat on them, now after removing my aftermarket wheels it shakes the same
I was gonna say dented wheel but you switched wheels.
what about a bad tire?ball joint,tie rod or ends ??[/QUOTE]

bad tire i doubt, it shakes the same with both sets of tires i own for it one of which being stock which were smooth as glass last time it was on them. doesnt seem to be any more play in the rod or rod ends than on the 17 my neighbor has which only has a couple hundred babied km. i can usually diagnose issues fairly quickly but this one has me stumped lol
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
i put 8x the mileage on my previous japanese made quad never had an issue let alone within the first 1500km. it was on jackstands when i discovered the squeak in the steering, everything in the front end seems fine, nothing obvious is f'ed up anyway
Yep, the Jap machines are simpler and not as maintenance intensive but ride like a sled. There is a price you pay for that cushy ride... higher maintenance costs.
After looking I'd say your steering squeak is probably due to the bearing at the base of the steering post. yours probably looks like the one in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	118403  
OldCrab and Andrew24 like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, the Jap machines are simpler and not as maintenance intensive but ride like a sled. There is a price you pay for that cushy ride... higher maintenance costs.
After looking I'd say your steering squeak is probably due to the bearing at the base of the steering post. yours probably looks like the one in the pic.
ill take a look at some point this week but im more concerned about the shake. do you think rear A arm bushings could cause it? they are worn but to me that doesnt seem like it would cause it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode