Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

3Likes
  • 1 Post By RangerTim
  • 1 Post By latebird
  • 1 Post By latebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Pump Replacement

Our 2015 570 Touring with about 300 hours showed symptoms of fuel problems last fall when in the mountains but I mistook it for moisture problems after fording a deep creek. Then it started to backfire occasionally. It was shortly after that it got put away for the winter. This spring I could get it started easily, but it would not run for more than a few seconds after the choke opened. It would only run up to around 3000 rpm and labored heavily to get there. Absolutely no way I could get on and ride. Classic fuel starvation. Pumped out the old fuel and filled with new. No difference. Took the 570 apart and tested the fuel pump. It was delivering only about 28 psi of pressure to the motor so replacement was indicated. Ordered a kit from Quantum Fuel Systems in CA and had it in four days. The kit restored proper pressure of 58 psi and it is now running like new. It included a new pump, filter, wires, o-rings, and locking ring seal. No fuel regulator.

Glad to have it running so well again. It has had this declining pressure problem for a while but I never noticed it until it got really poor. It was a good excuse to buy a fuel pressure gauge kit and was also a good exercise in disassembling the plastic body parts. Now I won't fight with them when working on other components!

Saved hundreds of dollars versus taking it in to Polaris for repair. Cost me about 80 bucks including shipping. I also bought a pack of pump filters -- I now know to replace them at least once a year or two, depending on usage. The only trouble was getting the pump assembly locking ring loose. I bought a tool that straddled the ring and worked, but just barely fit so I had to work extremely slowly because it was jammed up against the steering housing. If you need to do this yourself get the lock ring pliers like the guy uses in the youtube video.

The o-ring that the pump motor presses against was mis-shaped and probably the source of the problem, but I replaced the motor anyway since the replacement seemed more robust. I hope these parts remain available for years to come. I did solder the motor to the factory wires even though the kit came with wires pre-soldered and clips for attachment to existing. Just seemed quick and easy to me. Getting the tank lock ring reinstalled was almost as much of a pain as taking it off, and I soon tired of not having those aforementioned pliers.

I wish to express my thanks to those on this site for posting their experiences and advice, along with those that take the time to video their repairs and help the hordes of us that need someone to hold our hand through the process. You folks rock!!!
indyred570 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no choke on the EFI systems.

The deformed o-ring is a good indication of alcohol damage.
T. Texas Tony likes this.

2006 Trailboss 330
2002 Sportsman 90
2005 TRX400EX (FOR SALE)
2003 LT-Z400 (needs engine work & is for sale)
2004 CRF250X
1971 Triumph 650 Bonneville (has 5 original miles)
1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville (undergoing restoration)
1979 Honda CBX (6 cylinder)
1970 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc Bushmaster
1976 Suzuki RE5 Rotary (not running & FOR SALE)
1981 Kawasaki KZ305-A
1981 Suzuki GS450T (undergoing repair & will be for sale when done)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H (FOR SALE)
1989 Honda VT1100C
2007 Vectrix VCTX Electric Scooter
1965 Montgomery Ward 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh Mini Bike
1970 Triumph T25 250cc Trailblazer
1968 Triumph 250cc Flat Tracker

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

The intake makes a throaty sound for a few seconds after the start. It was fine until that ends then it stalled. I guess there is no choke -- EFI -- Duh! I can be obtuse at times...

I am exclusively using Ethanol free now. Unless I can't find it in the boonies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:28 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Ethanol is OK in the short term - as long as it is used within 3 weeks of purchase and does not sit undisturbed in an unsealed container (unsealed being a fuel tank, gas can or plastic container) - it's when it sets undisturbed that the alcohol will separate from the gasoline which causes the most damage. There are products that will prevent phase separation, but the gas retailers will not blend it into their fuels due to the cost. The gasoline producers will not blend it as their business is to make gasoline, so it becomes the responsibility of the end user to use the product, but it's only needed if the blended fuel is not going to be used within 3 weeks.
T. Texas Tony likes this.

2006 Trailboss 330
2002 Sportsman 90
2005 TRX400EX (FOR SALE)
2003 LT-Z400 (needs engine work & is for sale)
2004 CRF250X
1971 Triumph 650 Bonneville (has 5 original miles)
1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville (undergoing restoration)
1979 Honda CBX (6 cylinder)
1970 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc Bushmaster
1976 Suzuki RE5 Rotary (not running & FOR SALE)
1981 Kawasaki KZ305-A
1981 Suzuki GS450T (undergoing repair & will be for sale when done)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H (FOR SALE)
1989 Honda VT1100C
2007 Vectrix VCTX Electric Scooter
1965 Montgomery Ward 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh Mini Bike
1970 Triumph T25 250cc Trailblazer
1968 Triumph 250cc Flat Tracker

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in