King Kong tightened my wheels! - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

King Kong tightened my wheels!

My wife and I picked up our new 570 SP's today. I purchased a battery warranty(not sure if that was wise), but it came with 2 battery maintainers.

So I go to install the connector, and I can't get the lug nuts loose. I had to use my 1/2 inch electric impact to break them loose. I surely didn't put them back on that tight (as far as my 1/4 inch impact would go, and then a bit more with a hand ratchet).

I am greasing the chassis, as I seen somewhere that they don't add enough grease, and it's easiest when you have the wheel off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmanx View Post
My wife and I picked up our new 570 SP's today. I purchased a battery warranty(not sure if that was wise), but it came with 2 battery maintainers.

So I go to install the connector, and I can't get the lug nuts loose. I had to use my 1/2 inch electric impact to break them loose. I surely didn't put them back on that tight (as far as my 1/4 inch impact would go, and then a bit more with a hand ratchet).

I am greasing the chassis, as I seen somewhere that they don't add enough grease, and it's easiest when you have the wheel off!
Congrat's on the new ride. I believe KONG worked on my 08 PS 500 too, I tried getting the front diff hex nut/bolt off with my 8mm Allen wrench and it was a no way, I was afraid I was going to strip out the hex bolt. Made a run to the local Harbor Freight and bought a new set of Pittsburg metric hex sockets. I still had to use a cheater pipe to get it to break loose.

Tony

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO EFI Touring AWD
Color: Pearl White/Silver Trim
PowerMadd Handguards/PM Mirrors
SuperATV Front & Rear Tube Brush/Bumper Guards (Wrinkle Black)

2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto
Color: Red
Raider Cargo Rear Storage Box
Power Madd Hand Guards/ PM Mirrors
UNI Air Filter
Deestone Swamp Witch ATV Mud Tires
Yamaha Raptor 660 Petcock Mod

2008 Arctic Cat 650 H1 TRV 4x4
Color: Black
(SOLD: Dealership Buy Back, ( a heck of a story)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Texas Tony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmanx View Post

Congrat's on the new ride. I believe KONG worked on my 08 PS 500 too, I tried getting the front diff hex nut/bolt off with my 8mm Allen wrench and it was a no way, I was afraid I was going to strip out the hex bolt. Made a run to the local Harbor Freight and bought a new set of Pittsburg metric hex sockets. I still had to use a cheater pipe to get it to break loose.

Tony

King Kong put on your lug nuts you may be right. But when you do your first oil change you will find that his brother installed the oil filter. The easiest way to remove the oil filter for the first time is to do it when the engine is COLD. Loosen it up first before starting the engine. Then retighten it by hand. Now start the oil change process by warming the engine up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:57 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Funny how the service manual publishes specified torque values and everything from the assemble plant is either too loose or too tight. Of course things that don't need to be TIGHT are too tight and everything that need to be tight are either too tight or too loose - very few just right. Same goes for the engine, but at least the engine is closer to having the correct torques.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:12 AM
ATV Enthusiast

My 1000 Sportsman Touring Service Manuel calls for 75 pounds torque on the lug nuts. We snapped a lug stud well before that. I crank them down sold now but am not going by the book again.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:47 AM

Nah, It wasn't King Kong. It was a little skinny guy with a strong impact who believes in the philosophy that more is better.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:46 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

When in doubt, use the 'general' torque specs based on the size of the fastener

While the manual calls for 75 ft lbs on aluminum wheels, it also specs 45 ft lbs on steel wheels

I believe they use the same size studs (diameter) and I believe the diameter is 10mm - my Ford F150 has 12-1.75mm studs and the torque is 85-115 ft lbs (a fine thread stud could take a higher torque)

The studs on the Polaris (I'm guessing because I cannot find it in the literature and I do not have one around that I can measure) are generally 10mm and probably grade 8.8 and no higher than 12.9. Based on general torque values for metric bolts - a 10mm stud would be torqued to 37 to 63 ft lbs - a 12mm stud 63 to 110 depending on the grade of material and thread pitch. Therefore it may be a misprint or the studs are 12mm.

Just my wild azz thoughts on the situation.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
While the manual calls for 75 ft lbs on aluminum wheels, it also specs 45 ft lbs on steel wheels
Latebird the service manual I have says 75 for steel and aluminum. I understand what you are saying though and that's how were are going to deal with the lugs in the future.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:22 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I guess it just proves that there are errors and/or inconsistencies in the literature. I have corrected some errors, omissions and misinformation in several manuals.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
torque specs are also based on the shape of the fastener. the flat surface of the standard nuts used on steel wheels hold differently that the angled shape of the nuts used for the aluminium wheels (look more like automotive lugs) the fiction surface also is involved. Steel being less likely to gouge than Aluminium. thus the different shapes of the fasteners.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2017 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
Front Utility Rack
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode