Bad fuel issue - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Bad fuel issue

Hey guys. I’ve got a 14 sportsman 570. I know that it got wet fuel in it because after i poured the gas in it and started having trouble, I found that my gas can that i used had a crack in it and had gotten rain water in it. once it started missing and I realized what I had done I drained the tank (multiple times) ran treatment through it, and changed the spark plug. The bike is still missing, backfiring, and doesn’t idle well. It will however run better once it gets opened up and running faster. I’m thinking either fuel pump or injector but was hoping someone on here would give me some input. I know that’s a hell of a first post but thanks for any response in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I would start by checking fuel pressure, according to manual it should be around 58psi.
Also check the throttle safety switch.
Here's a link to a service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxZ...N0T3RFYTA/view

2014 Sportsman 570
Powermadd Hand Guards
Viper Elite 3000 Winch/KFI mount
Denali Snow Plow
Polaris HD Front Springs
Kenda Executioners
Ricochet A-arm guards
QSC clutch kit

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I would run a little bit of Isopropyl alcohol in the fuel. This is used to drive out moisture. It is used in the snowmobil all the time for that reason. 2-3 onces in the tank (full tank) at most though.
I would also Indyred,s advice as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:11 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303British View Post
I would run a little bit of Isopropyl alcohol in the fuel. This is used to drive out moisture. It is used in the snowmobil all the time for that reason. 2-3 onces in the tank (full tank) at most though.
I would also Indyred,s advice as well.
HEET gas line antifreeze and moisture remover comes in a 12 oz bottle - it is claimed to treat 20 gallons of gas - HEET is primarily methanol alcohol and other undisclosed additives. 12 ounces added to 20 gallons of gasoline results in an approximate .8% mixture of alcohol and gasoline.

If your fuel already has a 10% blend of alcohol, what does increasing the alcohol content by .8% do? If you are using alcohol free fuel, how much water can .8% of alcohol absorb? How much water can be added to alcohol before alcohol will not burn?

If you mix alcohol and water then heat the water, the alcohol will be evaporated before the water and can be burned as it escapes the water leaving behind pure water. Alcohol boils at 173 degrees F while water boils at 212 degrees F.

Alcohol blended fuel can absorb appx. 1 tablespoon of water per gallon of gasoline, but the water will cause the alcohol to separate from the fuel and settle on the bottom of the fuel tank. Adding an additional .8% of alcohol will only increase the alcohol content of the water. I suppose at some point, with enough alcohol added to water, you would be able to run your engine on alcohol/water fuel, but calibration of the fuel system would be a nightmare.

Best thing to do is remove the fuel tank, dry it completely by flushing with denatured alcohol (available at most hardware and paint stores) and allowing the alcohol to evaporate before refilling the tank. Then fill with non alcohol fuel and no additives. Best additive to prevent fuel system problems? Two stroke oil - about a 1.25 oz (or 7 teaspoons) of oil to a gallon of non ethanol gas (oil does not mix with alcohol) - the oil will coat the internal parts preventing corrosion and reducing condensation on the metal parts.

Since you system is fuel injection, the ECU will take some time to adjust to the change in fuel. It tried to compensate for the water, it will now have to readjust for the non contaminated fuel. It will take several restarts and runs to readjust completely.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Last edited by latebird; 07-18-2019 at 06:17 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 AM

Ditto on what latebird said.
If you think you poured water in the tank and you already have alcohol blended fuel then adding more alcohol to what's already there will just bind to the water and separate and make matters worse. Pull the tank and clean it out and get a new gas jug. Try to locate non-alcohol fuel if possible. If you can't get pure gas in your locale, a little K100 added to each jug will keep the water and alcohol in solution so it don't separate out and can be burned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in