stuck throttle codes....ready to burn it! - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DSMMAX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

stuck throttle codes....ready to burn it!

Looking for wisdom on stuck throttle codes. I have a 2015 570 Hunter Edition that throws the -7 throttle code randomly and every ride. It'll throw the code...run rough and rev limit. When the check engine light goes out after some time the quad will high idle still. It seems to be when it gets wet mostly. Here's what I've tried

-5 trips to the dealership...no luck
-reflash for TPS
-new throttle cable
-cable adjustments....alot of times
-checked resistance on the TRS in the throttle housing (all good)
-took a garden hose to all wire connections trying to make it throw the code..no luck
-new battery and voltage regulator

Note: while stuck in the woods the last time it threw the code...I adjusted the throttle stop on the throttle body to get the machine to idle down to 1250rpm. It was idling high enough that it was engauging the clutch...grrrrrr. Im assuming that the adjustment would put the TPS out of range potentially

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 AM

From what you describe and the things that have been tried, I'd probably pull the throttle body and give it a good thorough cleaning and inspection to make sure nothing is sticking including the IAC stepper motor.
Pay close attention to the throttle valve/butterfly that its not rubbing the inside of the TB bore when opening and closing due to the shaft having moved or something worn. I suspect that may be where the problem lies and if so should show some rub marks in the bore when closely inspected or maybe try to stick when operated slowly by hand. You might even try pushing on the shaft very lightly to one side then the other side while moving it to see if the valve plate tries to stick or touch the TB bore.
While the TB is off Id also start at the throttle control on the handlebar and clean, reset, lube it and make sure the cable is properly adjusted for about 1/16 - 1/8" play and that it has no kinks or pinch points and moves smoothly through the full range of motion.

If you adjusted on the throttle stop/idle screw it will probably need to have the TPS reset/recalibrated too.

I hate to say it but if it appears the problem is in the TB as I suspect, and it can't be easily corrected then the TB may have to be replaced.
I'm in no way saying that's definitely what's wrong but it sorta sounds like it and that's how I would approach finding the problem if I were trying to fix it.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Oh, and don't burn it just yet lol.
IMO, your dealer should have already checked the things I described above by at least the second or third time you had it in. But the dealer techs usually have a lot on their plate and intermittent problems like yours often can't be reproduced in the shop and are hard for them to track down. Ask around of some local riders for recommendations for reputable small shop owners. They usually have much lower hourly labor rates, aren't pressured to sell parts or new machines and can take the time to thoroughly test their repairs. The smart ones depend on favorable word of mouth referrals, standing behind their work and keeping a good reputation to stay in business. The dealerships not so much. They tend to cater to the big spenders who buy new machines every couple years and have all service done by the dealer. Repairs for the average Joe trying to get by on a budget is just a sideline for them.
If you'll do the testing and report back (pictures and videos help), we'll try to get you back in the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Ii should have added some more things I've tried...

-I cleaned the throttle body and inspected the slide 2 months ago. No issues. IAC was clean.

-ive ridden with the trs cover off to ensure that the switch isnt engaging during riding. The new throttle cable was just a shot in the dark. The original was fine.

All electrical connectors were cleaned
and then treated with dielectric grease
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:38 PM

LOL, well you've stumped me then. Sounds like you've already tried about everything I can think of.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM

mine would do it when it would get wet and dielectric grease solved it. not sure if yours is getting wet
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Well after a year of trying to figure this out.....finally got it solved! Never going back to the stealership. I removed the plastics and traced all the wires included in the throttle switch circuit this morning....and bam...found the issue. Main harness had been rubbed through on the left upper frame beside the PCV tube. Off the 2 wires that were exposed o e was the shared common for the tps. Replaced the wires and over insulated them. First time riding without codes was a nice experience.
sportsmandan likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in