Close Ratio AWD - Difference between my 570 SP vs 570 EPS - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Close Ratio AWD - Difference between my 570 SP vs 570 EPS

Now that it's winter I've been able to notice another distinct difference between my 2015 570 SP vs 570 EPS, the close-ratio AWD. I notice it while driving around on roads where there's a mix of dry pavement and snow/ice.

The non-SP 570 stutters and jerks a bit as wheel slip occurs and traction is engaged in the front. The 570 SP acts totally different. I feel zero slip/stutter/jerk. It's quite a pronounced difference, and especially noticed when driving uphill. I'm attributing this to the close-ratio awd on the SP where the engagement to the front traction happens faster. My SP has larger tires (26" vs 25") too, so that might have something to do with it.

Anyway... This doesn't change my overall opinion that the 570 EPS is preferable to the SP due to the savings in $$$, the fact that ADC (SP) is almost irrelevant with the 570 EPS' stout engine braking, the better size (12") wheels, and better performance of the EPS (probably due to smaller wheels).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	570s.jpg
Views:	2159
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	30370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

It was a huge difference for me as well. I moved from a 550 to the 2015 850 SP and now the 1000 Touring. The close ratio AWD was something I had to get used to because it works so well. I mean it's pretty much so fast it's engaged right from the moment you press the button. It has a complete different feel in AWD from the old system to me.

2015 Polaris Sportsman 1000 Touring
Bighorns
HandWarmers
TumbWarmers
2500 Winch

2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP- Sold
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 LE- Sold
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550- Sold
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500- Sold
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500- Sold
1997 Polaris Sportsman 330- Sold
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Well now, I can think of a few members that would say the old system is the best and you guys suck at riding and neither polaris nor anybody else knows what they're talking about....you know...because you suck at riding and all with original awd system.

(Just a smart ass rant based on countless threads with guys saying they didn't like how the "old" awd system worked and the peanut gallery rushing in to try and degrade them

Obviously polaris tweaked the hillard for the better as evident by your guys experience, that's great news for slick surface riders and future buyers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
I've never noticed my AWD kick in, but I know it's there. maybe it's how I hit the throttle, maybe it's the lack of earth shattering power that the Hawkeye doesn't possess, but I've only ever notices it working when I had to engage it after the back tires stopped working and it wasn't already on.

That being said the CR AWD engages at 4% slippage vs the 20% the standard takes. on a 25" tires the Close ration takes a slip of 3.14" to engage. The standard takes 15.7". or 1/5th of a tire rotation. no way you're going to notice the rear slipping 3" while you're moving. But I can understand noticing 16" especially if you're not going to fast.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2017 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
Front Utility Rack
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I don't "feel" it on my 850. I have to be on a snow-covered hill, or loose dirt; stop, switch on the 4X4 and move, slowly increasing throttle to even notice the front to stasrt driving - no noise or bumps or jerks or anything, it's just there. I think it's a great system.

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield w/mirrors
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I never notice mine either, but then again I have not ridden a new machine either.
I notice the bikes have different tires, do you think this has any effect? does either pull harder regardless of smoothness of engagement?

2012 850xp eps
32" Sludgehammers -5"/2" lift -Turner eagles
MSA battles 5+2 - GSE filter - Ranger Gears
RJWC single w/QC and programmer.
HD springs -QSC clutch kit/ EPI HD belt
Heretic Lights -Front diff fix -Cecco frame braces
Jccapri bushings -Swaybar removed.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I normally don't notice the difference between machines. But when I'm driving on that dry / patchy stuff - like 70% snowy patches, 30% dry, that's when I feel it. I'm talking about when you're doing a consistent slow speed, not hammering the throttle. Those rear wheels go from pure grip, to big slip as they go over the icy spots.

I would never have thought 20% of the tire rotation will be that noticeable. But as for wheel slippage...Keep in mind the non-SP one I have still has the STOCK Carlisle tires on it which are pure crap on snow/ice unless you run 'em at 3.5psi. I normally don't have my non-SP tires aired down that low because I use my SP for plowing.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

My 14 has the old system and I most definately can tell the engagment, made esspecially noticeable when snow plowing, you can feel back tires dig down a bit then feel the slam throughout the bike as the front diff engages.

Then I can definately feel the gearing difference front to rear when maintaining a constant speed on hard pack/slick roads...the rear end gets to wanting to go around the front end. A quick throttle blip fixes it but always that first instance I find myself readying to counter steer....then blip throttle and all is fine for a little bit until it does it again.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:28 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Mine is imperceptible too. Glad to know there's something good to the SP besides these darn 14's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilow View Post
, the fact that ADC (SP) is almost irrelevant with the 570 EPS' stout engine braking, .
I determined exactly why the ADC is so much better than the engine braking feature over this past weekend while riding my property with snow and ice on the ground. The ADC does not slip wheels (at least it did not for me). Descending a steep slope with the engine brake had me sideways at times, the snow just piles up under the wheels and once the tread is loaded the machine just skids. This did not happen at all with the ADC - the descent was slower, and completely controlled.

So that for me was further validation of why I chose the SP - the ADC was one of the big factors for me and I am glad I have it now that I have seen it in action in the snow.

2017 Sportsman 570 SP Hunter Edition
Pursuit Camo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode