Initial Thoughts after 2017 Sportsman 1000 Purchase - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
BroncoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 48
Initial Thoughts after 2017 Sportsman 1000 Purchase

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, as I have lurked the past 2-3 months.

Last week I bought a 2017 Sportsman XP 1000 LE in the Matte Copper color. I haven't purchased an ATV since my last 2001 Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4, so to say this is a beast isn't even cutting it. I have driven Raptor 700's, Grizzly 700's, and a few can ams, but HOLY smokes this thing is unreal.

A little back info, I saw the 17's come out a bit ago and knew I wanted the 17' vs the 16 due to all the changes. I liked the RZR's that I had driven, but it wasn't as free as an experience compared to an ATV. I had never even driven a Sportsman 1000, so I wanted to test drive one before buying. No one around me had a 17', so I decided to drive a 2016 Sportsman XP 1000 and a 16' RZR 1000 Turbo.

My initial smile factor was about a 5/10 with the RZR and an 10/10 with the 2016 Sportsman, so it was an easy decision. I called up Zane at Jones Offoad in Jones, OK and he made me one hell of a deal. I was going to travel from Austin to Abernathy's in TN, but the price Zane made was really close to Abernathy's. The drive was only 5 hours compared to a 12 hour drive to TN. Here in Texas they want to get you for so many fees + taxes, it was an easy decision to drive up there to get it.

Here are what I would consider better from 16' to 2017.

1. 3 mode settings w the Work, Standard, & Performance Mode. That performance mode is awesome! I was going to do a Re-Flash from RVS, but I need to speak with them if this flash will effect the 3 modes.
2. New Exhaust. Haven't experienced any issue with glowing red heat. Am still considering a GSE Exhaust, but it's not my top priority now w the fixed heat issue the 16's experienced.
3. The Seat is about 2-3X more comfortable than the 2016.
4. Digital Dash
5. Sportier look with wider foot rests.
6. The complete LED tailights (On the LE only, odd bc the black/red pre-model shows the full 3 LED tailight in Polaris' video.
7. The low beams stay on with the high beam. I am not sure if this worked on the 2016, but I see a lot of people talk about doing the 3 way mod where low beams will stay on.
8. Arched A-arms are killer, really helped me out on the hard rock that I was riding this past Sunday. I like to mud, and the Highlifter is pretty cool. However, they didn't change anything up from the 2016, so I would bet 2018 the new high lifter will have all the new cool stuff the regular 17' just upgraded to. The 17' is that much closer to the highlifter, so w new gearing, new clutching, and snorkles you would basically have the highlifter.
9.The cup holder, sounds lame, but it holds my 30oz Yeti Rambler perfectly. You can also put your cell in there which is cool for quick/relaxed rides.

Here is what they still could fix:

1. PINION COVER: How Polaris would change a good amount of stuff from 16' to 17' and NOT change that is unreal, it is identical to the short cover on the 16'. Before buying the machine, I had Jones Offroad install Rick Cecco's Billet Pinion Cover. His new design is so awesome, that it only takes 30 minutes to install. I think the other one that people go with take 2-3 hours, so something to keep in mind with anyone else needing to buy this part (https://cecco-racing.myshopify.com/p...5-16-sportsman). I put it on for the peace of mind, it's great the factory MAY fix it if it's under warranty, but the downtime of having the machine in the shop is what I want to avoid at all costs.

2. I think they could have sealed certain items better. I already have water in my left headlight, which is interesting bc I haven't taken the thing through any dang water. The right one is fully sealed w no water signs, however.

3. I know there are more, I am just so new to the machine that I will update this when I can find more issues or negatives.

This post got a little longer than I was expecting, so I am sorry about that. Feel free to ask me any questions or if you would like to see any pics of the machine.

Thanks, y'all!
Stefan and Woodland like this.
BroncoBoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
Lawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 470
Welcome. Good post--keep the info coming.



Sold: 2010 Sportsman 850 XP EPS | 2009 Sportsman 550 XP | 2007 Sportsman 500 H.O. EFI | 2010 Sportsman 550 XP EPS | 2008 Sportsman 90
Lawdog is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
wkeggenhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ajax,Ontario Canada
Posts: 224
2017 xp 1000

I too just got same bike last week. 1st Polaris ever. Coming from a Grizz 843
Agree on everything stated. pretty impressive. Hope its as reliable as my grizz used to be before Mods started



You forgot to mention the new gauge pod being digital

RPM, water temp, charge voltage, service intervals as well.

Heard something as well that it has blue tooth ?

Not sure what that's for it what it does. There is nothing in Ops manual about it


Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBoy View Post
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, as I have lurked the past 2-3 months.

Last week I bought a 2017 Sportsman XP 1000 LE in the Matte Copper color. I haven't purchased an ATV since my last 2001 Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4, so to say this is a beast isn't even cutting it. I have driven Raptor 700's, Grizzly 700's, and a few can ams, but HOLY smokes this thing is unreal.

A little back info, I saw the 17's come out a bit ago and knew I wanted the 17' vs the 16 due to all the changes. I liked the RZR's that I had driven, but it wasn't as free as an experience compared to an ATV. I had never even driven a Sportsman 1000, so I wanted to test drive one before buying. No one around me had a 17', so I decided to drive a 2016 Sportsman XP 1000 and a 16' RZR 1000 Turbo.

My initial smile factor was about a 5/10 with the RZR and an 10/10 with the 2016 Sportsman, so it was an easy decision. I called up Zane at Jones Offoad in Jones, OK and he made me one hell of a deal. I was going to travel from Austin to Abernathy's in TN, but the price Zane made was really close to Abernathy's. The drive was only 5 hours compared to a 12 hour drive to TN. Here in Texas they want to get you for so many fees + taxes, it was an easy decision to drive up there to get it.

Here are what I would consider better from 16' to 2017.

1. 3 mode settings w the Work, Standard, & Performance Mode. That performance mode is awesome! I was going to do a Re-Flash from RVS, but I need to speak with them if this flash will effect the 3 modes.
2. New Exhaust. Haven't experienced any issue with glowing red heat. Am still considering a GSE Exhaust, but it's not my top priority now w the fixed heat issue the 16's experienced.
3. The Seat is about 2-3X more comfortable than the 2016.
4. Digital Dash
5. Sportier look with wider foot rests.
6. The complete LED tailights (On the LE only, odd bc the black/red pre-model shows the full 3 LED tailight in Polaris' video.
7. The low beams stay on with the high beam. I am not sure if this worked on the 2016, but I see a lot of people talk about doing the 3 way mod where low beams will stay on.
8. Arched A-arms are killer, really helped me out on the hard rock that I was riding this past Sunday. I like to mud, and the Highlifter is pretty cool. However, they didn't change anything up from the 2016, so I would bet 2018 the new high lifter will have all the new cool stuff the regular 17' just upgraded to. The 17' is that much closer to the highlifter, so w new gearing, new clutching, and snorkles you would basically have the highlifter.
9.The cup holder, sounds lame, but it holds my 30oz Yeti Rambler perfectly. You can also put your cell in there which is cool for quick/relaxed rides.

Here is what they still could fix:

1. PINION COVER: How Polaris would change a good amount of stuff from 16' to 17' and NOT change that is unreal, it is identical to the short cover on the 16'. Before buying the machine, I had Jones Offroad install Rick Cecco's Billet Pinion Cover. His new design is so awesome, that it only takes 30 minutes to install. I think the other one that people go with take 2-3 hours, so something to keep in mind with anyone else needing to buy this part (https://cecco-racing.myshopify.com/p...5-16-sportsman). I put it on for the peace of mind, it's great the factory MAY fix it if it's under warranty, but the downtime of having the machine in the shop is what I want to avoid at all costs.

2. I think they could have sealed certain items better. I already have water in my left headlight, which is interesting bc I haven't taken the thing through any dang water. The right one is fully sealed w no water signs, however.

3. I know there are more, I am just so new to the machine that I will update this when I can find more issues or negatives.

This post got a little longer than I was expecting, so I am sorry about that. Feel free to ask me any questions or if you would like to see any pics of the machine.

Thanks, y'all!

2017 Xp 1000 Sportsman LE Matte Cooper
2008 843cc Yamaha Grizzly
wkeggenhoff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
 
flyinghigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 712
What kind of range are you getting guys?

How do the welds on the aarm mounts look? Are you going to need frame braces?
flyinghigh is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
FUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Middle of Nowhere North Dakota
Posts: 3,096
Mine came in today and I got to check it out...will actually take it home next week (waiting on accessories) Matte copper LE. Frame seemed like it had a lot more bracing than what I remember from my 850. Also the seat is hands down the most comfortable ATV seat I have ever sat on. Period. Fit and finish was better than any ATV or side x side I've had.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the new AWD toggle switch setup

Will be installing a billet pinion the day I take it home.

Initial Impressions are good !!!
FUSE is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 AM
ATV Enthusiast
 
Neal_Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Whittemore Iowa
Posts: 77
I sat on the same machine last weekend, seat is amazing and the awd button is weird?

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk
Neal_Fox is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
BroncoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeggenhoff View Post
I too just got same bike last week. 1st Polaris ever. Coming from a Grizz 843
Agree on everything stated. pretty impressive. Hope its as reliable as my grizz used to be before Mods started



You forgot to mention the new gauge pod being digital

RPM, water temp, charge voltage, service intervals as well.

Heard something as well that it has blue tooth ?

Not sure what that's for it what it does. There is nothing in Ops manual about it


Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBoy View Post
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, as I have lurked the past 2-3 months.

Last week I bought a 2017 Sportsman XP 1000 LE in the Matte Copper color. I haven't purchased an ATV since my last 2001 Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4, so to say this is a beast isn't even cutting it. I have driven Raptor 700's, Grizzly 700's, and a few can ams, but HOLY smokes this thing is unreal.

A little back info, I saw the 17's come out a bit ago and knew I wanted the 17' vs the 16 due to all the changes. I liked the RZR's that I had driven, but it wasn't as free as an experience compared to an ATV. I had never even driven a Sportsman 1000, so I wanted to test drive one before buying. No one around me had a 17', so I decided to drive a 2016 Sportsman XP 1000 and a 16' RZR 1000 Turbo.

My initial smile factor was about a 5/10 with the RZR and an 10/10 with the 2016 Sportsman, so it was an easy decision. I called up Zane at Jones Offoad in Jones, OK and he made me one hell of a deal. I was going to travel from Austin to Abernathy's in TN, but the price Zane made was really close to Abernathy's. The drive was only 5 hours compared to a 12 hour drive to TN. Here in Texas they want to get you for so many fees + taxes, it was an easy decision to drive up there to get it.

Here are what I would consider better from 16' to 2017.

1. 3 mode settings w the Work, Standard, & Performance Mode. That performance mode is awesome! I was going to do a Re-Flash from RVS, but I need to speak with them if this flash will effect the 3 modes.
2. New Exhaust. Haven't experienced any issue with glowing red heat. Am still considering a GSE Exhaust, but it's not my top priority now w the fixed heat issue the 16's experienced.
3. The Seat is about 2-3X more comfortable than the 2016.
4. Digital Dash
5. Sportier look with wider foot rests.
6. The complete LED tailights (On the LE only, odd bc the black/red pre-model shows the full 3 LED tailight in Polaris' video.
7. The low beams stay on with the high beam. I am not sure if this worked on the 2016, but I see a lot of people talk about doing the 3 way mod where low beams will stay on.
8. Arched A-arms are killer, really helped me out on the hard rock that I was riding this past Sunday. I like to mud, and the Highlifter is pretty cool. However, they didn't change anything up from the 2016, so I would bet 2018 the new high lifter will have all the new cool stuff the regular 17' just upgraded to. The 17' is that much closer to the highlifter, so w new gearing, new clutching, and snorkles you would basically have the highlifter.
9.The cup holder, sounds lame, but it holds my 30oz Yeti Rambler perfectly. You can also put your cell in there which is cool for quick/relaxed rides.

Here is what they still could fix:

1. PINION COVER: How Polaris would change a good amount of stuff from 16' to 17' and NOT change that is unreal, it is identical to the short cover on the 16'. Before buying the machine, I had Jones Offroad install Rick Cecco's Billet Pinion Cover. His new design is so awesome, that it only takes 30 minutes to install. I think the other one that people go with take 2-3 hours, so something to keep in mind with anyone else needing to buy this part (https://cecco-racing.myshopify.com/p...5-16-sportsman). I put it on for the peace of mind, it's great the factory MAY fix it if it's under warranty, but the downtime of having the machine in the shop is what I want to avoid at all costs.

2. I think they could have sealed certain items better. I already have water in my left headlight, which is interesting bc I haven't taken the thing through any dang water. The right one is fully sealed w no water signs, however.

3. I know there are more, I am just so new to the machine that I will update this when I can find more issues or negatives.

This post got a little longer than I was expecting, so I am sorry about that. Feel free to ask me any questions or if you would like to see any pics of the machine.

Thanks, y'all!
I had mentioned Digital Dash as #4 but didn't get into specifics, my b. The bluetooth allows you to hook your phone up so you can see the battery life, cell receptions (# of bars), and if you get a call or text message. It's pretty neat if you are waiting on a call or text.
BroncoBoy is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
BroncoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSE View Post
Mine came in today and I got to check it out...will actually take it home next week (waiting on accessories) Matte copper LE. Frame seemed like it had a lot more bracing than what I remember from my 850. Also the seat is hands down the most comfortable ATV seat I have ever sat on. Period. Fit and finish was better than any ATV or side x side I've had.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the new AWD toggle switch setup

Will be installing a billet pinion the day I take it home.

Initial Impressions are good !!!
Congrats! I am very new to the frame bracing people have been doing, so I can't compare the past Sportsman to the new one when it comes to bracing. I would happily take pics if someone here could help advise how much the bracing has changed from 16' to 17'.

The seat really is unreal comfortable. I am sure people with 16's will be ordering the new 17' seat. After riding, the toggle switch is a little goofy IMO. The left position is 2x4, one slide to the right gets you to AWD, and one more slide to the right brings your to Hill Decent Mode. One slide to the left and you are back in AWD, with another slide to the left bringing you back to 2x4. How was it before on the 16's?
BroncoBoy is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
807VikingMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Posts: 2,339
Congrats, if the new exhaust runs cool and doesn't stall the bike when submerged, keep it.


2012 850xp eps
32" Sludgehammers -5"/2" lift -Turner eagles
MSA battles 5+2 - GSE filter - Ranger Gears
RJWC single w/QC and programmer.
HD springs -QSC clutch kit/ EPI HD belt
Heretic Lights -Front diff fix -Cecco frame braces
Jccapri bushings -Swaybar removed.
807VikingMetal is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
 
flyinghigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 712
So all this talk got me into the largest dealer for a couple hundred miles today to check out a 2017 1000 XP....only problem was they have only received 1 and it sold the same day it came in.

The sales guy I spoke with struck me as an honest guy as he readily admitted problems to the Polaris line that he had seen over the past year including the melting plastics, quick failing bushings and bearings etc. Remember, this is the largest dealership in the area and they sell more Polaris than they do Kawi, Honda, or Yamaha combined. He said they were having a lot of trouble getting the 2017 xp1000s and Polaris was not willing to tell them why. The dealership is speculating that Polaris is now gun shy from all the lawsuits of 2016 and want to ensure there are no more such issues with this new bike.

He went on to show me some of the interesting things in all the Polaris ATVs as they had 1 of everything EXCEPT the 2017 XP1000. He pointed out how the 2017s have even wider floor boards than the 16s...I saw and stood on them for myself and then he showed how you can stand easily with BOTH feet on 1 side of the ATV in the gigantic floor board of the 2017 850 they had for off camber riding. He also had me sit down on the 2017 850 to see how you literally "fall" down into the seat. No question the most soft seat I have EVER been on. However, he stated the 1000 seat is NOT as soft and he ranked it between the 570 and the 850.

They have and sell alot of the 570SP machines. Having been on both he advised the SP does provide a more plush ride while the strut version is more stiff and "precise" with less body roll. He is looking at buying 1 for his girlfriend. However, I noticed the SP570 had only a single A arm up front while the XPs have dual aarms....not sure what this means and does or does not provide.

We also looked at the anti sway bar on the backend of all the machines...the base 570 have a seriously big bar to keep uneven work loads from offsetting the rear, while the more performance minded machines like the SP and XP have smaller bars that are easily disconnected to provide true independent suspension. The big bars on the base 570s effectively make the rear ends like a SRA in actual use.

This guys came from the farm himself, so he seems to have a good handle on the work side of things, but personally he rides performance machines. He said the 2017XP1000 is going to make him trade in his brute force that is only a couple years old because when he tapped the throttle from stop in performance mode it whee-lied in a split second with no effort at all. He stated that had he known the 2017 was coming he would have not bought a brute force and just waited for it.

Finally he said they sell more 570s than any other ATV period because of the bang for the buck and the versatility between work and play. (This is a rural farming state) After being on the 2017 XPs the width of the floor boards on the 570s just seem tiny. I don't know now if I can live with that or not. They are still way better than the pegs of the KQ or Honda, but the room on the XP is incredible. If they could just solve the frame issues on the XP and pinion covers it would be a no brainier. I could even put up with bushings and bearings...but breaking frames/aarm tabs is kinda a deal breaker for me. If they would cover those issues under warranty I might be able to stomach it, but it seems like that is rare as well.

I will be watching this thread and others to see how it performs long term from a reliability standpoint. Hopefully we will see alot of positive feedback after the owners get some miles on them.
flyinghigh is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service manuals cookies ATV Repair and Maintenance 1119 09-10-2019 08:47 AM
ASM-CLUSTER,110MM,W/FUEL (Speedo Cluster) FOR SALE KLCFLC Polaris Sportsman 2 02-18-2019 05:57 PM
Softer rear shocks/springs? Unitoo1 Polaris Sportsman 11 01-04-2018 04:43 AM
3280431 ASM-CLUSTER,110MM,W/FUEL (Speedo Cluster) KLCFLC ATV New Members 1 09-18-2017 07:52 PM
2017 Sportsman 1000 sporty1k Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 41 12-11-2016 09:39 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome