Front end shaking - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutcutter View Post
Dug a little deeper this morning, pulled the wheels off to get them rebalanced and found the lower A arm bushings are shot. I know I ride hard but hell I only have 1600 miles on the machine. I lubed them every other ride and the machine has never seen any mud. We have been in drought with no rain for months. Getting kind of pissed, you would think a $12,000 plus machine would hold up better.
ank

You've mentioned you ride hard twice. Can you define what "hard" is?

Thanks, Scott

2017 Sportsman 1000XP Touring
Pine, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

By hard I mean, I am standing on the pegs at racing speed most of the time no matter what the terrain. As an ex desert racer old habits are hard to break

I was setting up a poker run a couple of weeks backs, the route ran past a dairy. They had a scale there to weigh the milk trucks. I drove across them with my fully loaded 1000. To my surprise they said I was at 1380#s. 200 of that is me. The power of these machines mask all that weight. I could slow down and save a little wear and tear but like a said old habits are hard to break
jjuelmen likes this.

My name is Mike

These are a couple of my many rides:

2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
2500# Badland rear mounted winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
Bar end rearview mirrors
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
Koplin lock N ride tool/gun holders
Tusk heated grips and thumb warmer
Polaris rear third brake light
Polaris ultimate hand guards and mounts
12" quad row LED light bar
Rear LED flood lights
Bluetooth Firehouse sound system
Gen 3 Spot locator
Garmin 750T GPS/GMRS radio
Go Pro with mounts all over

2004.5 Sportsman 500 50th Anniversary edition
Sadly collecting dust in the shop, now that I got the 1000XP
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
By hard I mean, I am standing on the pegs at racing speed most of the time no matter what the terrain. As an ex desert racer old habits are hard to break

I was setting up a poker run a couple of weeks backs, the route ran past a dairy. They had a scale there to weigh the milk trucks. I drove across them with my fully loaded 1000. To my surprise they said I was at 1380#s. 200 of that is me. The power of these machines mask all that weight. I could slow down and save a little wear and tear but like a said old habits are hard to break
LOL... Yep, That'll make parts wear fast on these big heavy machines. You might try JCCapri bushings cutter. They are supposed to be very durable. If you haven't already, you might need to inspect frame joints and look into brace kits too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:42 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:

LOL... Yep, That'll make parts wear fast on these big heavy machines. You might try JCCapri bushings cutter. They are supposed to be very durable. If you haven't already, you might need to inspect frame joints and look into brace kits too.

Haha I hear ya. The power of these machines masks the weight well! Jccapri bushings held up well all through Hatfield McCoy for me. Only down side is I busted a spindle bolt in the rear and that messed up the bushing. Iíve been very impressed with the wear on these compared to the stockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Sportsman 1000 Titanium Matte LE
Polaris Body Armor
Polaris Front and Rear Bumpers
Triangle Stealth Snorkel
Powermadd Full Wrap Hand guards
Cecco Frame Braces
Cecco Billet Throttle
RC2 Filter
RJWC Baffle Tech Single Exhaust
Dobeck Programmer
LED Light Bar
RotoPax Fuel Cans
Outkast 3" arched arm lift

2009 Sportsman 550 XP EPS

2003 Scrambler 500 HO (Sold)

2007 Sportsman 800 EFI (sold)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:07 AM

My old 800 spent most of it's life running the way you ride cutter. I ended up having to rebuild and reinforce the entire rear frame because I broke it pretty good. Also had to weld and reinforce the arm mounts on the front cause I broke them too lol. As for bushings, I got into a routine of alternating doing the entire front one season and then the entire rear the next. That's around 2500 miles per season though running really fast and jumping and such through extreme terrain as you do. I gave up trying to keep everything super tight after the first few years and just fell into my yearly routine to keep it reasonably tight.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:

Yeah, that's hard. To each his own; the machines are to be enjoyed. But I dont think they're designed for that kind of abuse (I dont mean that offensively). But as long as you are willing to pay the price, go for it.

Pine, AZ
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Like many here, I have this issue as well. Drives me insane as anything 45+ is a gamble on when it's going to start wobbling all over. The front ends on these are pretty sensitive it seems.

One thing I've noticed. I have JCCapri bushings, and when I had installed those, the A Arm mounts had started to get ovaled out. The bushings are pretty tight because I installed the Cecco Braces on the a arm mounts, but I can't help but wonder if the ovaled out bolt holes are causing this.

I replaced tie rods, I replaced Ball Joints, and I replaced wheel bearings with NO CHANGE to the shaking. I even took it into the dealer to see if they could align it/get the shaking to stop and they couldn't.

Something I've learned to deal with but it's definitely frustrating. The worst is on pavement when I'm going from trail to trail. I can no longer go over 35-40 on pavement because it shakes so bad. Been getting worse with age too.

If someone figures out a fix, I'll be the first in line to try it.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWISCOSportsman View Post
Like many here, I have this issue as well. Drives me insane as anything 45+ is a gamble on when it's going to start wobbling all over. The front ends on these are pretty sensitive it seems.

One thing I've noticed. I have JCCapri bushings, and when I had installed those, the A Arm mounts had started to get ovaled out. The bushings are pretty tight because I installed the Cecco Braces on the a arm mounts, but I can't help but wonder if the ovaled out bolt holes are causing this.

I replaced tie rods, I replaced Ball Joints, and I replaced wheel bearings with NO CHANGE to the shaking. I even took it into the dealer to see if they could align it/get the shaking to stop and they couldn't.

Something I've learned to deal with but it's definitely frustrating. The worst is on pavement when I'm going from trail to trail. I can no longer go over 35-40 on pavement because it shakes so bad. Been getting worse with age too.

Most of the time its your tires being out of round and just about impossible to balance. I've run Pit Bulls for years on several different machines and they run as smooth on pavement as my pickup. They are expensive and heavy but tough as nails and run true.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I have had same problem at HMT this year. at the black top connectors ,shak'n around 30, 45? 60? left wheel was mounted little off. I did remove bolts mounted wheel again, tighten some more and is fixed now...
edit.
also I have had loosen inner rod ends[ i thought it was an issue], and thighten them didn't solve that issue. Then I took the wheel off.....
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheStatelineATV; 06-04-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWISCOSportsman View Post

The way you describe it, the first thing I would think is TIRES. Could they be out of round or out of balance? Are they over-inflated so you pick up every little pavement abnormality?

Pine, AZ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode