Jerky take off - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Don’t go for the $ 10 set lol with the fans , they don’t fit and are too long to fit under the front tray , I got these the 2nd time and they are bright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0FBBDAA5-1A53-451C-8B0A-E639A3DDC138_1544721593412.png
Views:	51
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	114297  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotiaboy View Post
Donít go for the $ 10 set lol with the fans , they donít fit and are too long to fit under the front tray , I got these the 2nd time and they are bright
I'm interested in how those bulbs work out. How hot do they get? Can the stock housings/lenses stand it without deforming? I looked a little and that same vender has 100w and 150w bulbs for sale too. I wouldn't want to put too much load on the OEM wiring though.
What say you latebird?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SPO...K/202174180823
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I’m not sure about the high power ones , the 90w I have are supposed to run cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:24 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Hey late to the party here, but I have the same unit, and had the same problem. I have the 2018 Bronze LE, and glazed the belt plowing snow the first season, but not that bad. Ya kind rough jerky take off's. It corrected itself over the warmer season up here in Upstate. Just made sure I shifted down going up steep grades. Good to go now, belt broken in good now so no need to shift only on that rough slow steep stuff.

2018 Sportsman 1000 XP LE (Bronze)
Delivery 11/04/2017
Rigid D-Series Driving LED Lights (addl Front lights)
Auxbeam LED Lights (Rear lights)
Polaris Ultimate Series- Front Bumper
Polaris Ultimate Series- Rear Bumper
Polaris Ultimate Series - Steel Rack - Front
Polaris Ultimate Series - Steel Rack - Rear
Polaris handguards and mount
Polarisģ HD 3,500 lb. Winch
Polarisģ Pro HD Winch Upgrade
Krator Universal Black Motorcycle Mirrors
Glacier Pro Plow Blade - 66"
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Iím not sure about the high power ones , the 90w I have are supposed to run cool
I'm sorry to keep getting off the original topic here, but you say: "supposed to run cool". That tells me you haven't really run them much yet? I'd be really interested if you'd be willing to report back on apparent heat etc. after you've run them a little bit. You can just PM me if you'd like.
Thanks.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I read the specs on them,reg halogen run 161degrees and led run 75 so there’s a big difference from stock less than half the heat
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Donít go for the $ 10 set lol with the fans , they donít fit and are too long to fit under the front tray , I got these the 2nd time and they are bright
I'm interested in how those bulbs work out. How hot do they get? Can the stock housings/lenses stand it without deforming? I looked a little and that same vender has 100w and 150w bulbs for sale too. I wouldn't want to put too much load on the OEM wiring though.
What say you latebird?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SPO...K/202174180823
There's absolutely 0 chance they are pulling anywhere near that wattage (or that lumen rating). Especially not with out a heatsink, fan or copper braid heat exchanger. They're putting the watt rating on there for the bulb wattage you are replacing, not the wattage you are getting with their product.

A quality replacement LED will have a driver module, and a fan (active) or a heatsink (passive) cooling system. The good ones will be north of $50 each, and have a true tested lumen rating (usable), and will usually also include a lux rating (Distance to 1000lumen), a raw lumen rating, or candela rating.

Also, 6000K is closer to the blue end of white. For cleaner white light like daylight, you want 4500K to 5500K color temperature. Color temperature is important to me, because 4500 reflects off snow much better than 5000K and above.

I have 3 x Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0s on my 800, true high output 5500K, 23W, 2400lumen. Wanted to reduce the wattage load overall.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Yup those are the way to go but they probably won’t fit mine , there’s just enough room for the tray to drop in place in the front , if the back of the bulbs have any length at all you wouldn’t get the tray in place . That’s why I went with the smaller one
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Not a whole lot of room on the older Sportsmans either. About an inch to near two inches before the tray molding drops down, just enough to get the ~1.3" deep Morimoto's in. How do the newer headlights come out, from the front, or still from the back?

If it is much less on the newer ones, then an 880 LED with a passive cooling copper braid heat sink would be the way to go, it's flexible braided metal, like a grounding strap. Those are much shallower and no fans to burn out or plug with dirt.

The bulb type 880 is straight plug, 881 is 90į angled plug. 881 gives you more room, but almost no one is making true high output LEDs in 881s.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Ya I got a 2017 sportsman 1000 copper and when the tray is in you can’t even back the bulb out so ya not much room at all I’ve got all 3 led rite now but if it’s not bright enough I’ll pop the halogen one back in the top I just put mine in and lastnite staring in at them they look ok we will see if we ever get snow here how they work in snow ,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode