Odd Fuel System Issue (maybe) - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

87 octane gasoline boils at appx. 180 or higher depending on additives and pressure in the fuel tank - cooling system thermostat opens at appx. 180 degrees, so a coolant hose could induce fuel boiling.

If there is a coolant hose contacting the fuel tank, a piece of foam rubber, a kitchen sponge or other spacer might eliminate that as a potential problem.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
87 octane gasoline boils at appx. 180 or higher depending on additives and pressure in the fuel tank - cooling system thermostat opens at appx. 180 degrees, so a coolant hose could induce fuel boiling.

If there is a coolant hose contacting the fuel tank, a piece of foam rubber, a kitchen sponge or other spacer might eliminate that as a potential problem.
Yep ^^^ and alcohol boils at about 172 F. Pressure also builds up in the tank lowering the boiling point even more. If you've ridden a 800 Sportsman for any amount of time you WILL deal with fuel boiling in the tank. Especially when the tank gets low. It'll boil like a tea kettle!!
The tank bottom on those machines is only a few inches directly above the exhaust header and to make matters worse the clutch exhaust duct is wrapped tightly around and across the top at the front of the tank. The OEM heat shielding is just a very little bit of thin metal tape-type material and the clutch duct has NONE at all. When you add to all that the radiator fan blowing heat directly back around the tank bottom and the body work holding a lot of that heat around the tank its easy to see how the fuel gets so hot.
After I discovered all this it was no longer a mystery why those machines are such gas hogs. You're boiling away probably half your fuel during hard climbs especially in hot weather.
A similar situation is found on the 570's which seem to have a lot of pump failures as well.
Pulling the tank and installing good heatshield mat all around the lower half will alleviate the problem somewhat. I even installed a small exhaust fan on my old 800 that could be turned on during long extended climbs to help pull some of the hot air from under the plastics bodywork around the tank lol.
Sorry for the long-winded post but now you've got me thinking about digging into my 1000 to look for and insulate against heat sources around the tank.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
So, @rutcutter and I bought our XP1000's at different times and from different dealers. We use independently sourced fuel; he usually ~110 Octane Ethanol free and me usually PURE88 Ethanol Free. We've tried additives, Seafoam, etc - thinking maybe we both somehow managed to get bad fuel, but we're convinced our simultaneous and EXACT same issues are not fuel, but instead filter or fuel pump related.

Symptoms:

Bombing down the trail, any terrain, any speed and after ~30 miles, it will start acting like its fuel starve. Sometimes you can feather the throttle a little and keep it going, but its very lurchy. In most cases, once that symptom begins, usually you get a backfire or two, then the machine just comes to a slow stop and stalls. Fix seems to be, wait a few seconds, turn the key forward, listen to the fuel pump cycle and start it back up. Usually this is good for another ~5 miles before the stall occurs again.

I phoned in the VIN to Polaris, but they claim no recalls, no known TSB's or issues. We're both under 2000 miles on the bikes at this time.

Ideas?
I only ran the 110 to get rid of it, I had it on the trip for my Yamaha Raptor, it has a 14.5 to 1 compression ratio. I normally run 91 ethanol free.

My name is Mike

These are a couple of my many rides:

2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
2500# Badland rear mounted winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
Bar end rearview mirrors
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
Koplin lock N ride tool/gun holders
Tusk heated grips and thumb warmer
Polaris rear third brake light
Polaris ultimate hand guards and mounts
12" quad row LED light bar
Rear LED flood lights
Bluetooth Firehouse sound system
Gen 3 Spot locator
Garmin 750T GPS/GMRS radio
Go Pro with mounts all over

2004.5 Sportsman 500 50th Anniversary edition
Sadly collecting dust in the shop, now that I got the 1000XP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

If you were running 110 octane and he was too, the probability of fuel causing the issue and happening on both machines at the same time is not out of the question - I would drain the fuel, fill with fresh 87 or 91 octane non-ethanol fuel and try again. If the problem persists - then it's probably something other than fuel.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Let me state again, we were NOT running the same fuel. Additionally, we would see these conditions almost immediately after topping off with 91 Octane Chevron Fuel. And, oddly, our machines would act up in almost the identical locations and with identical symptoms. There is no consistency short of our two machines being symbiotically linked somehow.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/BIONIC Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Polaris Winch w/Syn
-Street Legal
2016 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i (HO/EPS/BIONIC Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/syn rope
2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 (HO/EPS/BIONIC Edition)
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

So let us know when you figure out what the problem is and what was done to rectify it. I do not have an identical machine and have never experienced a similar problem.

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Let me state again, we were NOT running the same fuel. Additionally, we would see these conditions almost immediately after topping off with 91 Octane Chevron Fuel. And, oddly, our machines would act up in almost the identical locations and with identical symptoms. There is no consistency short of our two machines being symbiotically linked somehow.
What was ambient air temp when this happened?
You guys have any weird sounds from the pump like I described prior to or at the time of the cutting out?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Temps are in the 40s some time lower and only at around 3500' or lower in altitude. Just normal sound from the pump when you turn the key on. When it stalls and the key is cycled the pump runs for several seconds every time. I can't think that the system would drop all the pressure in just the cycle of the key.

I hate shot gunning parts, but I ordered the fuel pump mentioned in another thread.

My name is Mike

These are a couple of my many rides:

2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
2500# Badland rear mounted winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
Bar end rearview mirrors
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
Koplin lock N ride tool/gun holders
Tusk heated grips and thumb warmer
Polaris rear third brake light
Polaris ultimate hand guards and mounts
12" quad row LED light bar
Rear LED flood lights
Bluetooth Firehouse sound system
Gen 3 Spot locator
Garmin 750T GPS/GMRS radio
Go Pro with mounts all over

2004.5 Sportsman 500 50th Anniversary edition
Sadly collecting dust in the shop, now that I got the 1000XP

Last edited by rutcutter; 01-27-2019 at 03:08 PM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:22 PM

While you have the tank out I'd look at possible sources of heat on the tank bottom. I think you have to take it all the way out to replace the pump IIRC. I looked at mine today and it appears the coolant lines do run right under the tank. A little heat shielding where the lines come through might not be a bad thing.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
While you have the tank out I'd look at possible sources of heat on the tank bottom. I think you have to take it all the way out to replace the pump IIRC. I looked at mine today and it appears the coolant lines do run right under the tank. A little heat shielding where the lines come through might not be a bad thing.
Understood, but riddle me this. We both now have ~1500 miles. We've run in much hotter temps without any issues and at higher altitudes. Each time we've gone south to lower altitude (and sand), this has happened. We've run these in deep snow without issue. Why now would a hot fuel tank suddenly start causing issues? I think defective fuel pump or fuel filter, but so odd that both machines have the same issues at EXACTLY the same time/place.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/BIONIC Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Polaris Winch w/Syn
-Street Legal
2016 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i (HO/EPS/BIONIC Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/syn rope
2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 (HO/EPS/BIONIC Edition)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode