Crooked Rear End and a Wobble - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MustBeNice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Crooked Rear End and a Wobble

Hi y'all.

Looking for some guidance on my 2015 XP. I had noticed a slight left lean in the rear when wrenching on other parts this past month or so, didn't think anything of it and chalked it up to my concrete slab section running that way toward my center garage drain.

Well this was not the case and also having issues driving 20-50 mph on pavement, haven't gone over 50 due to this) where the handle bars shake left to right, not sure if shimmy was speed sensitive as it was short bursts of pavement separated by grass/dirt trails. It's controllable but you definitely cannot do a high speed run or anything. I thought maybe it's an unbalanced wheel but recently have seen people with bent sway bars reporting my two issues...

I plan on pulling my sway bar this week and seeing if it lays flat, if not they seem cheap enough on ebay it's a non issue. Just want to sort out the wobble.

Previous owner did roll it over and cracked the plastic rack but it was a tip over 0 mph incident. I also will check suspension and double check tire size as obvious ones. Threading was the same each shock but the sleeves cover up some details. Wheels seem to true with no bent rims, but I will be doing a clutch so all 4 wheels will be off the ground and can confirm.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear end.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	117191  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Disconnect the sway bar and see if the lean levels out. The handle bar shimmy could be tires or CV shafts on the front end, wheel bearings, tire rods ends, combination of all.
Put it on jack stands and remove the tires, run without the tires and see if you have the shimmy.
On my old 600 the CV joint was stiff and the tie rods were loose/worn out and the that was the cause of the shimmy I had.

2017 Sportsman XP 1000
RJWC Exhaust
RVS Performance ECU flash

2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
I'd all the above as mentioned..... and maybe also the a-arm bushings too. If all checks out, find yourself some balance beads for the tires!! As ATV tires are rarely balanced!!
jjuelmen likes this.

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
I'd all the above as mentioned..... and maybe also the a-arm bushings too. If all checks out, find yourself some balance beads for the tires!! As ATV tires are rarely balanced!!
I just replaced all 4 wheel bearings and pumped them and all 19 fittings of nice heavy duty grease. Bushings on a arms looked fine when I popped them out but only checked bearing carrier side, not frame side. Hoping to wrench tonight and get it sorted.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Sway bar seems straight, rear end still looks low on left, going to remove rack as I think it's just bent a bit from rolling over on left side. Nothing is broken or cracked, thinking just a top side issue that can be remedied.

Any good ideas to get all 4 wheels spinning in air. I have 4 jack stands but no where near tall enough. May try to stack with some wood. Really want an atv lift about now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Well I went out for about 25 miles on local trails this weekend as is. I discovered the rear end fender leans down due to the U-shaped rack under the plastic rear rack is broken just off center to the left side, allowing everything to sag. I can physically lift everything up a good 2 inches. I was told this when I bought it that the rear was cracked and I could get a new one I just was focused on evaluating other features at the time when I was about to buy it. It is something I could leave forever and it would never matter until I had decent weight back there then the plastic fender would bear the weight and possibly cause it to become worse. I'll unbolt the plastic rack and see the full extent soon.

With regards to wobble, it may just be an atv that I am expecting to ride smooth and perfect on pavement. It doesn't appear to be speed sensitive as I did 40ish several times and it was fine for all but one where it jiggled a little then went away with slight weight shifting or throttle adjustment. I also pulled to 70 a few times and it was almost non existent, I think I may be ok. The biggest time and frequency/repeat ability is when I am on pavement and it engine brakes down from 25+ or braking down from speed, and it comes and goes quickly.

I may balance the tires as it can be a cheap easy improvement and see how that does, still need to get all 4 wheels off the ground, decided to ride instead of wrenching as my time is limited with kids.

I was also only to bring the front end up in low gear on grass. Should a 1000 be able to easily come up in high from 0 or low speed? I have some hopping/lurching during engagement and I had my belt slip once doing ~5k rpm in low and punching it (on dirt) yesterday where it banged on the rev limiter. I ordered a new belt but during riding only 3 mph and under including engagement I experience the not so smoothness. Not a major problem but could be better. I am adjusting to quads so trying to get a baseline for performance around, honestly underwhelmed by "1000 performance" I heard so much about when doing the 570/850/1000 shopping, when compared to people saying it's way more than you'll ever need. Trying to decipher if it's coming from modified 1000 cc sport bike experience or a slightly worn belt and/or how cvt's engage in general, or if everything is fine and it is what it is. Need to ride some other atv's to really gauge this but overall I am having a blast and thrilled I just went with the 1000 off the bat. I would have been disappointed with the raptor 700 given the places I have been going.

Picture for fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_153541.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	117239  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 04:59 PM

Mine will wheelie from a stop in high and low all day. Slide back on the seat and grab a thumb full of throttle my bet is your belts slipping or your tires are just spinning and not grabbing. Try it on pavement and that will tell you for sure. I almost flipped my 2018 when I got it without even trying. It will also wheelie at lower speeds if I have traction and hit a little hill or bump. I went to the 1000 from a 2015 sp850 and love the extra power. They are quick from o to 60 or so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode