New '18 1000XP - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutcutter View Post
Mine never comes out of performance mode. Maybe that's why I wore out the suspension twice last year[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/images/PolarisAtvForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Lmao! Yeah I'm sure after I get more comfortable with it, Perf mode will be the only option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Mine never comes out of performance mode. Maybe that's why I wore out the suspension twice last year
LOL, You're explaining more all the time cutter, why you keep wearing out suspension components.
I know, but hopefully the rebuild I finished up with this past week with the better quality components, things will last a little longer.

To the OP congrats on your new 1000, you will never go back to a smaller quad again! Can't wait for a 1200 to come out

My name is Mike

These are a couple of my many rides:

2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
2500# Badland rear mounted winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
Bar end rearview mirrors
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
Koplin lock N ride tool/gun holders
Tusk heated grips and thumb warmer
Polaris rear third brake light
Polaris ultimate hand guards and mounts
12" quad row LED light bar
Rear LED flood lights
Bluetooth Firehouse sound system
Gen 3 Spot locator
Garmin 750T GPS/GMRS radio
Go Pro with mounts all over

2004.5 Sportsman 500 50th Anniversary edition
Sadly collecting dust in the shop, now that I got the 1000XP
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine never comes out of performance mode. Maybe that's why I wore out the suspension twice last year[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/images/PolarisAtvForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
LOL, You're explaining more all the time cutter, why you keep wearing out suspension components. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/images/PolarisAtvForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
I know, but hopefully the rebuild I finished up with this past week with the better quality components, things will last a little longer.

To the OP congrats on your new 1000, you will never go back to a smaller quad again! Can't wait for a 1200 to come out[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/images/PolarisAtvForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Thanks a lot rutcutter! The little bit I've ridden has been a blast already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine never comes out of performance mode. Maybe that's why I wore out the suspension twice last year
LOL, You're explaining more all the time cutter, why you keep wearing out suspension components.

To the OP congrats on your new 1000, you will never go back to a smaller quad again! Can't wait for a 1200 to come out
What better quality components did you use ? And FYI anything over 1000 cc is illegal even for side by side ,why you think putting Turbo Charger on a 925cc .
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:05 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

What better quality components did you use ? And FYI anything over 1000 cc is illegal even for side by side ,why you think putting Turbo Charger on a 925cc .
I used Super ATV UHMW self lubricating A arm bushings and pins (will still be greasing them), automotive size greasable polyurethane sway brace bushings, polyurethane sway brace ends, Timken wheel bearings.

The best advise I can give from my experiences with my suspension issues is to MAKE SURE to keep all the A arm, shocks and hub bolts TIGHT and USE grease after each ride. Check often! Even new machine owners need to check to make sure they are tight before you ride. I would also advise to buy the wheel bearing greasing tool and grease the wheel bearings, even on a new quad. The factory that builds the bearings only put a small amount of light assembly grease in them. Even the new Timken's I installed took around eight to ten pumps of the grease gun to purge out the assembly grease.

I guess I can only dream of a bigger sized XP I went out and couldn't find any Federal Regulations limiting engine size, did find some state regulations limiting size.

My name is Mike

These are a couple of my many rides:

2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
2500# Badland rear mounted winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
Bar end rearview mirrors
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
Koplin lock N ride tool/gun holders
Tusk heated grips and thumb warmer
Polaris rear third brake light
Polaris ultimate hand guards and mounts
12" quad row LED light bar
Rear LED flood lights
Bluetooth Firehouse sound system
Gen 3 Spot locator
Garmin 750T GPS/GMRS radio
Go Pro with mounts all over

2004.5 Sportsman 500 50th Anniversary edition
Sadly collecting dust in the shop, now that I got the 1000XP

Last edited by rutcutter; 06-13-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: More info
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Don't think there are regulations on atv engine size, nothing comes up.
And there it is, most states won't allow over 1000cc engine size, for some reason, it will qualify as an off road only vehicle,???

must modify

Last edited by gearheadesw1; 06-14-2019 at 06:36 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 AM

I've never heard of such a thing as a limit on engine size. There's lots of regulations concerning vehicle size/width on certain public trails though.
Show me some proof!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

New '18 1000XP(New Shoes)

Added some new wheels and tires. For the occasional offroad park. Also installed 12" light bar across the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_184737_1561076145474.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	720.1 KB
ID:	118493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_184950_1561076184240.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	118495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_184747_1561076216675.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	118497  
TigerTool likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:21 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Jump to 33:45 No 1000cc+ sxs or atv.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM

I found the video on YouTube (yours wouldn't play). I don't believe it just because that guy said it but it made me curious enough to look. I'd never heard of a 1000cc limit on engine size for ATV/UTV. After a little research here's what I found.
There is no hard RULE against having more than 1000cc engines BUT apparently anything larger falls under a different classification under EPA regulations for emissions standards!! I didn't read all the regs. It would take several days even if you're a fast reader lol. From what I gleaned with a fast look, larger engines would fall under a different classification than "ATV" requiring a lot of the same emissions equipment found on you family sedan. That's why the manufacturers are, at least for now, limited to 1000cc or less. There is an exemption in the regs for machines that the manufacturer can show proof will be sold only for competition use.
The 1000cc EPA regulatory limit applies for ATV/UTV certification for machines built after 2006.

Here's some copy and past from the EPA and a link to the full Regs if anyone's interested in some bedtime reading lol. I threw in some other stuff I found too... Happy reading!
This is from another forum:
While reading this article ---> 2017 Arctic Cat Snowmobile Lineup Unveiled - Snowmobile.com, there is one paragraph that contains the following sentences. "The Genesis motor was a 1049 where this new C-TEC4 from Yamaha is 50cc. smaller. Why smaller? The good ol’ USA has a governmental regulatory agency called EPA – Environmental Protection Agency – where it codified that the biggest four-stroke motor any UTV/SxS builder can stuff into the vehicle is 1000cc. This forced Yamaha to overhaul and reengineer the Genesis to be a 998. And with that came that product created on the eighth-day, a turbocharger."

EPA documents and regs:
https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-engi...es-and-engines
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...cable-regs.pdf
Offroad Utility Vehicles
•
Offroad utility vehicles are subject to the
same r
equirements as ATVs
•
Offroad utility vehicles are defined as
having:
–
engines with displacement less than 1,000 cc
–
max brake horsepower less t
han or equal t
o 30
kW (40 hp) and
–
max vehicle speed of 25 mph or higher

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode