Clutch Decisions - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Discuss the Sportsman XP 1000 and Sportsman Touring XP 1000 here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch Decisions

Hello again everyone,

In the investigation for breaking my shift linkage and to why my atv was having intermittent shifting issues requiring more force than should be needed to change gears I came across a few issues I would like some feedback on. My primary clutch 1-way bearing was worn and sticking needing replacement, which caused the sheaves to sometimes not fully disengage with the belt. While replacing this I decided to remove the primary found significant damage to my sheaves and inner clutch cover (previous owner issues), mine now.

I need a new clutch assembly, Polaris 1322953 as well as inner clutch cover, Polaris 5438127. I sourced a used cover for cheap via eBay and I've been looking into clutch assemblies. I planned on doing a clutch kit this winter but now seems the time. Factory clutch assy $575 + QSC/RVS kit $275 = $850. For $1075 I spoke with Ryan at RVS and can get a STM Primary (https://shop.rvsperformance.com/STM-...1000-RAGE3.htm) outfitted with a clutch kit built and shipped complete. I did not want to spend more money this year but I am kind of forced in order to be up and running.

I feel like I relate to most of you, work hard for your money and wish there was more but are still willing to pay for quality parts for the long term. $1100 is pretty expensive for me (not including labor on top). I do plan on keeping this atv for many years (2015 LE) and have put a lot of time and money into it this year already. I'd like to have years of nice worry free trail riding within reason of course.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated regarding options and anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	119027   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (3).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	119029   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	119031  

2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE
GSE Exhaust
26" Bighorns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Me being the cheapskate I am lol, I'd probably just get a good used low mileage clutch like the one in the link below and call it a day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Polari...0AAOSwOztczGYt
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Me being the cheapskate I am lol, I'd probably just get a good used low mileage clutch like the one in the link below and call it a day.

That item is now in transit to my house...thank you for talking me off the ledge polman500. Maybe next time.

2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE
GSE Exhaust
26" Bighorns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd012 View Post
Quote:

That item is now in transit to my house...thank you for talking me off the ledge polman500. Maybe next time.
Well, don't thank me just yet lol. You don't have it on the machine and running. I wasn't trying to knock anyone out of a sale or promote anyone either. I just took a curious look to see what your options might be and ran across that one first thing. Hope it works ok for you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Sorry the price of a 2019 is $494.99 your price on a 1322953 $486.74.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
You can get a new Sheave for $494.99.
The stationary and moveable clutch sheaves are matched and balanced as a set. You can't safely replace just a sheave. You CAN buy a whole new clutch for around $500 but a new Polaris clutch does NOT come with a spring or weights. They cost extra unless you reuse your old ones.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Quote:
The stationary and moveable clutch sheaves are matched and balanced as a set. You can't safely replace just a sheave. You CAN buy a whole new clutch for around $500 but a new Polaris clutch does NOT come with a spring or weights. They cost extra unless you reuse your old ones.
Polman you know anyone running a CV TECH trail block primary, they come ready to install and probably a little less than $500 ?
I see alot of guys on youtube running those, all claim better performance , but not rebuildable.

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmandan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Polman you know anyone running a CV TECH trail block primary, they come ready to install and probably a little less than $500 ?
I see alot of guys on youtube running those, all claim better performance , but not rebuildable.
Nope, CV Tech is a new one on me Dan. I did a quick look and they go for around $400. Wild looking design but supposedly simpler and not as maintenance intensive. I'll have to look into that more when I get time.
Thanks for the tip.
sportsmandan likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 PM
ATV Enthusiast

They don't sell the clutch in parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in