Polaris ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting the front end up....

10K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  GDD 
#1 ·
Hey guys, ive tried everything. My rear tires blow through just about any ground i try to wheelie on. The front end will never get up and im running 3psi in the rear... cant get traction, any help?

#2 ·
Maybe it just wasn't designed to do wheelies? It is after all a utility machine.

#12 ·
Neither have I. When I raced super bikes, I never learned how to wheelie them either....and it was always faster with both wheels on the ground.........but I see zero need to do so now, especially on my quad....

#6 ·
What purpose does doing a wheelie serve? Do you need to do it to get over logs? It it necessary to keep the air intake above water? I do wheelies on my dirt bike to navigate certain obstacles, decrease turn radius and to allow me to turn the front end to get the handlebars through narrow passages (between two trees), but I never found a reason to wheelie my quad. I don't understand the need?

#9 ·
My touring will lift on pavement with the PXT tires. My 27" vampire 2's just spin. When I was doing my performance testing with the Gtech it was just hopping the front end stock. With the PVC-V I had to be careful so I put 120# in the front box and retested box. With the clutch kit from RVS I even had it did come up a time or two into what would have been a long cat walk. Be careful once you get it lifting so you don't go over backward. I've had mine scrape the ball mount on the ground like a wheelie bar.

#11 · (Edited)
It's all about weight distribution. The 1000 is super easy to get up. The 850 takes a little more but still not too bad. My dad even wheelies his honda rancher.. no there usually isn't a reason, it's just for fun. But that's 99% why I ride an ATV. For run! By the way the best wheelie machines are the atc70/trx90 or similar ;) many hours can be waisted/spent on a pit bike or small atv perfecting the art of the wheelie lol don't forget to keep the rear brake covered

I found that both my Polaris' handlebars were rolled too far back for my style. I roll them up and forward till the bar ends just barely point up. I stand alot and the bars work better for me like that. Probably helps a little with weight transfer too.

#13 ·
Road racing.. yeah its probably faster with two tires on pavement. But offroad on two wheels or 4 it's often faster to wheelie over an obstacle. Plus it's super fun!

#18 ·
I'd suggest practicing on a smaller bike. As some others have said:
Transfer all your weight as far rearward as possible while simultaneously stabbing the throttle. You want to get in the habit of keeping the rear brake ready to apply and be good at modulating it. It is easier when going up a hill or going over a rise. But I can get my 850 to wheelie about anywhere with the right technique. Well maybe not in totally flat sand or flat greasy hard pack. But it's really mostly practice. And I'd highly suggest not learning to wheelie on an xp1000. A pit bike or small ATV is a much better learning platform. Power isn't nearly as important as you would think. It helps, but Technique is much more important.

Reactions: skozie
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.