elctrical nightmare!!! - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down elctrical nightmare!!!

hey...long time reader...first time poster....i have a '01 500 ho sportsman, was running great...then one day as i was loading it into the truck; as soon as i started it it turned over 'clicked' then died...no big deal i thought...ride the day pull start no problems...but i did notice heated grips stopped working aswell...next ride..still no keyed start or heated grips....as its warming up i lost the speedo back light, the digi dash goes blank and then the speedo needle starts to move with the engine rpms like a tachometer...rode the wheels off all day found myself 20 miles in the back bush crazy hill climb at night (lights on) i noticed a buddys 450 kodiak is pulling away from me up this climb.....not something thats usual....get to the top..and i can tell my bikes getting hot, and i noticed headlights getting dim, so we turn around and head back to the trucks; now the more throttle i give, the dimmer the lights get and -to go completly crazy- grab the brake leaver and the headlights come back full power. I get it back to the truck loaded and bitter i go home. i did some simple volto'meter checks 12v with the key off, turn to 'on' goes to 0 instanly even before i turn it to start. Local polaris shop says voltage reg, so i order one off ebay...it says polaris on the regulator and everything.....i wait my 6 freaking weeks -thank you canada customs and this bshiz war on terror-get it installed...and still no start....now i have a clicking noise when i turn the key..like a dead battery...but battery is charged (trickle charger said it was peaked, tried a bigger charger to get it to fire up but said 12volts aswell). Now when i have the key in the 'on' position i have speedo light, the 'n' indicator as well as tail light, but as soon as i turn the headlights on I loose all power again and now no more 'clicking' when i try to turn it over. Pulling the brake leaver kills the speedo light and headlights as well but it starts on the first pull even after sitting for 8 weeks....now i couldnt get it to idle- working in my garage at 11pm in suburbs makes my yuppy neighbours get excited- but i held the throttle as low as i could before it would die and the lowbeams would flicker with the idle and go dim when i pulled the brake leaver.....please with the love of god can someone help/steer me to the next step, i know its nothing time and money cant solve, ive got that; its the knowledge im lacking....i ride with 2 grizzwalds acouple kodiaks and a pair of kawacrappy bruteforces.. all are amazed with what the sportsman can do in 2wheel so again please can someone help me restore glory to the sportsman name!!!...p.s. ill even tell everybody it was your idea that fixed it!...im going crazy with this...or the lack of 4 stroke smoke on the brain.......thank you fellow sportsman brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM

It sounds like something is shorted. Some of the things you describe makes me think maybe a dead cell in your battery. Check all connections and make sure there is no corrosion and everything is tight. You could be getting just enough juice to run the speedo lights until you pull the brake lever and the brake lights come on causing it to pull more power. If ya have a bad connection it might make it act the way you describe.

2011 Green 500 HO
3 Headlight Relay
28" S/W Zillas
ITP Black 212's
HD Springs on rear
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Electrical problems are a major PITA to diagnose. I agree on the battery though. A bad battery will cause all kinds of weird electrical problems. If that's not it, your best option may be to take it to a dealer so they can hook it up to the diagnostic computer and see what it's doing. You'll probably have to cut off a leg for them, but it will save you a lot of headaches.

2006 Sportsman 450
27" Vampires on ITP Delta wheels
HD springs
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Tags
dim lights, no key power, no start, speedo acts like tach, voltage reg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode