2000? Sportsman 500 4x4 - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Oh man! The primary/drive clutch will definitely have to be taken apart and gone through. I can see that its stuck engaged in the pic. The rusty up thingy on top in the pic is one of the fly weights. Those have to pivot FREELY on the pin they mount on. The center on the drive clutch should be flush at rest...not sticking out like it is.

From the looks of it they have been wet a lot and have corroded terribly. The secondary/driven clutch MIGHT be OK but the drive clutch will have to be gone through. I'd do both.

There's play in that weight you talked about. It's not stuck or anything. I guess I will take it apart tomorrow. Not what I wanted to hear. Just need to find a manual with the steps to disassembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, you are gonna want to take it all apart. The weights might be free, but the rollers they ride against inside the spider could be rusty and/or stuck. Most of the clutch is aluminum, but there are some steel parts in there. Water is not friendly in that combination. To either the aluminum or the steel.

Guessing that you probably already know this, but gonna throw it out there anyway.....Since it was too expensive for the PO to fix the front Diff, and with the clutch cover in that condition, I would give the machine a good going over to find what else was done badly or just let go.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
Yeah, you are gonna want to take it all apart. The weights might be free, but the rollers they ride against inside the spider could be rusty and/or stuck. Most of the clutch is aluminum, but there are some steel parts in there. Water is not friendly in that combination. To either the aluminum or the steel.

Guessing that you probably already know this, but gonna throw it out there anyway.....Since it was too expensive for the PO to fix the front Diff, and with the clutch cover in that condition, I would give the machine a good going over to find what else was done badly or just let go.

Going to give it a good look over anyway, I do that on all my used toys. He told me the clutch cover he broke because it would rattle all the time (clearly it was misaligned and he didn't know that). The front diff he said didn't matter to him as where he would be you didn't need the four wheel drive.
I'm not too concerned about it as I know the market in my area. I've found all the used parts for less than $300 together, not including the clutch work. Granted I don't find anything else expensive to fix, I should be in pretty good shape and be able to make $500+ on it if I sell it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like you are in pretty good shape with the parts! Clutch can be a bugger sometimes. They are not difficult to take apart, but you have to have some special tools. If you can't get it cleaned up try the Parts Ace clutch through Ebay. Non EBS was less than $200 for a complete unit. Polaris wants $650 for the shell without weights and springs. The Parts Ace piece is a throw away though. No parts available so not rebuildable. As long as your pulley halves aren't messed up I bet you can rebuild your current one for less anyway.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

2000? Sportsman 500 4x4

Yesterday when in neutral and giving it gas, the drive clutch still moves in and when releasing the gas it moves back out. I'm hoping the damage isn't as bad as it looks. Most of the "corrosion" on the outside was coming off just running over it a few times with a wire brush. It just seems like it isn't releasing all the way. When I get home I'll take a video of it running to show what the clutch does, maybe it will give you all a better idea on what might be wrong with it

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like you may be able to save it! Mark the outer cap (the one with the 6 bolts) so you can put it back on the same. If you take the 6 bolts out that will let you take that cover off and remove the main spring. Then you should be able to move the spider back and forth without having to fight the spring. When you move it feel for any binding. It will have resistance from the buttons on the end of the spider. There shouldn't be any clearance between the rubber buttons at the end of each spider and the outer pulley half. You can probably get a better look under the spider and see what shape your rollers are in too. They should move freely and not have any flat spots on them.

There are bushings on the inside of the clutch pulleys that can be replaced if that is where the bind it at.

2018 Kawasaki KLR650
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Sounds like you may be able to save it! Mark the outer cap (the one with the 6 bolts) so you can put it back on the same. If you take the 6 bolts out that will let you take that cover off and remove the main spring. Then you should be able to move the spider back and forth without having to fight the spring. When you move it feel for any binding. It will have resistance from the buttons on the end of the spider. There shouldn't be any clearance between the rubber buttons at the end of each spider and the outer pulley half. You can probably get a better look under the spider and see what shape your rollers are in too. They should move freely and not have any flat spots on them.

There are bushings on the inside of the clutch pulleys that can be replaced if that is where the bind it at.

Perfect I'll take a look. Hopefully I can do at least some work without the special tools, at least maybe diagnose the problem. Previous owner told me it was running and driving late last year but he hadn't messed with it in 2017 yet. Will tear into it this evening and see what I can figure out.

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

2000? Sportsman 500 4x4

Didn't have time to take the clutch apart today only take a video of it. Here's the video. This is in neutral.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

As the clutch moves, you can see rust on the center. Gonna have to get that cleaned off. There is a bushing that rides there and that could be the issue. Pull the belt off and take the outer cover off with the spring. You should be able to move the outer half and maybe get that part cleaned up. Best if you could take it apart and see the rest of the shaft to make sure you get all of it.

2018 Kawasaki KLR650
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
As the clutch moves, you can see rust on the center. Gonna have to get that cleaned off. There is a bushing that rides there and that could be the issue. Pull the belt off and take the outer cover off with the spring. You should be able to move the outer half and maybe get that part cleaned up. Best if you could take it apart and see the rest of the shaft to make sure you get all of it.

Makes sense..it seems to be functional otherwise, wouldn't surprise me if that bushing is hitting the rust and stopping. Will pull it off without disassembling the clutch and see if that fixes it. If not, I found a used clutch for $100 about 45 minutes from me as a last resort

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode