Polaris ATV Forum banner

1994 Sportsman 400L

54K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wahoo 
#1 ·
What is the difference between a 1994 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 vs 1994 Polaris Sportsman 400L 4x4?

#2 ·
In '94, there were several 400 models. There was the 400L 2X4, the 400L 4X4, and the Sportsman 4X4. The 400L models had the older Trail Boss/Magnum style body and the Sportsman was a new body that evolved over the next few years and was characterized by the unique headlight/instrument pod. I believe the chassis were the same, with liquid cooled two-stroke engines and chain drive to both axles. I owned a 400L 4X4 and my brother-in-law had (and still has) the Sportsman 400.

#4 ·
Good luck with it. I got many fine years and thousands of miles from mine. The '94 got a new transmission with a way better shifter than prior years. I recommend you at least get an owners manual as it has good service information. Just keep the drive chains adjusted and lubed, the front hubs full, all the fittings greased and carry a spare spark plug and carb needle and seat and you should have your bases covered. Take care. - MarkC

Reactions: DansDroid
#6 ·
i think he is the First one that i ever seen say that. if your needle and seat stick (clean it...) if you on the trail Jump up and down or shake the crap out of the atv and it should unstick it...

And yes keep a spare spark plug if your going to Drive it like a old man!

#7 ·
OK i just got a 1994 Polaris Sportsman 400L 4*4 and I finally got it to run, I had to adjust the throttle cable and the carb it's self to keep it running after getting it started, it also smokes alot, if im idleing or sitting still and rev it up it smokes bad but I dont notice smoke when im riding it, and it seems to run a little rough, What Should I Do????? Any sugestions???

#9 ·
I agree with aknawful on the carb cleaning. I had one of these for several years and got thousands of trouble-free miles out of it once I'd sorted it out. These big two-strokers vibrate enormously, even with a balance shaft, and the needle and seat in the carb get beat up. I used to carry a spare with me and they're not difficult to change in the field. Make sure to check yours. Also check the float level. I ended up moving the jet needle down one notch (move the e-clip up one notch) as it had worn over time. (The needles is stainless, but the jet is brass.) This leaned it out a bit and it ran much smoother. The two two-strokers that I owned both ran a bit rich, but were fine once I got things settled.

As for smoke, it will always smoke some. Probably more when cold or idling, less when going down the road. Besides annoying you, it tells you the oil injection system is working. It is adjustable and instructions are in the owners manual. (It ties in with the throttle cable.) One modification done fairly commonly was/is to disable the injection system and just add oil to the fuel tank. I never had to do this. - MarkC

#12 ·
I own a 94 Polaris Sportsman 400, has about 2500+ miles on it, it has just recently had some parts break from my way of driving it, I drive it really hard. The front drive sprocket enclosed bearing blew when driving with 2 people up a steep hill in 4wd low, the back disc brake calipers are broken (hit a rock and busted the mounts, need to reweld them), the electrical is no longer working (HELP!), and the rear swingarm is busted (broke one of the hinges).

I'm going to fix it myself because the dealership had me an estimate of $500 for the swing arm alone, just the part, not labor, the electrical was $300+labor, the brake they said they would not do, and the front encased bearing they said they would not sell me the part for.

The pictures say for themselves, also, anything about the atv you can tell me I should do to improve it or fix (as what you see), please tell me, this is not an easy atv to tear apart. Also, if you know anything about the electrical that would be helpful too, someone hooked a car battery too it and blew everything, when I turned on the lights when running it without a battery, I flipped on the lights and accelerated and they went really bright and blew.

And btw, this ATV is named Bessie, its kinda my baby, have had it for the last 6 years and we got it from an older gentleman who used it for daily farm work with less than 300 miles on it. I constantly race this atv and know its performance very well, its never let me down.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.