Polaris ATV Forum banner

Question/help on 2002 Sportsman 500 keys,winch etc

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  shawes 
#1 ·
Ok im buying a 2002 Sportsman 500....I have a few questions:

1) is there an online manual I can print ?

2) Is the tranny oil separate from the engine oil ? Is there a tranny filter ?

3) front and rear diff oils separate ?

4) it only has one key, where is the best/cheapest place to get a second ?

5) I want a winch for hunting, nothing fancy, Harbor Freight ? Or if not where and do I need special mounting brackets etc ??

Thax for the help

#2 · (Edited)
I'll do my best but we'll need some additional confirmation!!!

1- yes, hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

2- yes tranny and engine are separate, two different oils. No tranny filter.

3- yes i believe they are two different oils types.

4- hardware store or the likes. The key (haha) is getting a similar blank.

5- Harbor Frieght will serve you well. Just pick-up a KFI mounting plate.

#3 ·
Best place to get that key is the dealer. Take your old one and he uses the numbers on it to get you the one you need. Key makers don't have the blanks.....that's my experience on that. Differentials oils are separate as is the engine and transmission oils are separate. I put the winch on mine but I used a different front bumper. Also installed new winch on my 2012. I have not had any experience with Harbor Freight winch. Was told it would not hold up. Out by myself needing a winch is not the place to find the winch is not any good. I used a 3500 Super Winch. Love it. I have the manual but not sure if it is available on line for free. No transmission oil filter. Hope I have helped.

#4 ·
Gret thx for all the quick responses...I did see an online manual...It mentions " front hubs oil"....is there lubes to change on these too ? Maybe I was in the wrong year ??
Also where do I get the plate mentioned above to mount the winch ?
Do you have the engine running when using the winch ??
Thxagain

#5 ·
Google for a manual.
Visit Polaris' lubricants charts website for correct lubes. Your 2002 uses gear oil in the front. Tranny oil all the rest. Engine oil for the engine. Demand Drive in the front wheel hubs.
Key blanks can be ordered on ebay or from any Polaris vendor and cut at the hardware store.
Winch and mount plate is buyer's choice.

#11 ·
Ok I’m confused.. the oil chart shows the following
Engine oil , gearcase lube transmission, angle drive fluid 4 oz front ( I assume for the diff ?), front drive fluid demand drive ( I assume for the hubs??)so must be there is NO rear diff it’s just the tranny gearcase lube ??
Also no rear hub lube ??
Would online be the cheapest place to get all the fluids

#12 ·
No rear hub fluid. Wally world is probably the best place to be your fluids that are not Polaris.

#13 ·
For real ?? You guys would use Walmart oils ?? How would I know what to get for the front diff, hubs, rear tranny ?,,,,
Also they guy just changed the oil, used a fram filter and 0w40 Mobil 1....is this ok ??

Also is there a fuel filter on this ??

He said he did all the fluids and belt last spring

#15 ·
For real I would!!! You do know Walmart doesn't manufacture the oils correct?!?!? I bet the previous owner bought the Mobil1 and Fram filter from Walmart. Yes thats fine what he did. A lot of guys use 0W-40 Mobil1.

#16 ·
I know Walmart doesn’t make oil.. zeeez..but many times manufactures have special additives ... so what would Walmart carry I should use for tranny fluid, front diff, front hubs ?
FYI I’m driving a 2000 Buick with almost 210k miles... all with Walmart brand oil ... which I believe is Quaker State...
I guess I should have asked for the cross references

#17 ·
Nobody even suggested using Walmart branded oil. Walmart sells most all the premium brand oils you can buy at any other place. Only the price is better.
I've put over 400,000 miles on three different Toyota trucks using oil and filters from Wally World. Pennzoil was always my preference for my Tacomas. They never had a drop of Toyota branded oil put in them other than what came in them new.

#21 ·
Ok here’s what the charts show for fluids ;
Tranny/ rear end...AGL
Front drive diff Angle Drive Fluid
Hubs use Demand Drive fluid

Now maybe I’m reading this wrong but it says “ front drive fluid” demand drive then below it hubs.
Then says “angle drive fluid” 4 oz front... so that’s the front diff ?? Only 4 ounces ??

#22 ·
CVCMAN, I suggest that you just go to a local Polaris dealer. Give them the year make and model and leave it to them to guide you with all this information. I'm not saying have them do the work for you but have them guide you with what you need for all of this. 1 - you will have all the correct material you need, 2 - you really won't be paying much more if any for their recommended products and 3 - if something isn't right when you do the maintenance you can hold them accountable. Just a suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.