01 500 H.O....oil line question? - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

1Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

01 500 H.O....oil line question?

I got oil leaking pretty decent out of 3 lines going to the engine. The lines are steel and look similar to automotive brake line.

The washers on the fittings are whats leaking, my question is if i pull the lines to put washers in will i have to reprime anything like if you pull the oil tank to crank line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I dont even know why i bother posting questions on this site.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZG400 View Post
Yesterday was Saturday. Most guys on this site actually RIDE atv's when they can. The weekends are good times to ride or do other stuff for many of us who have regular jobs. We contribute to this forum voluntarily to share knowledge and try to help other Polaris riders. We don't get paid for sharing our knowledge and don't have time to be answering mechanic questions while out in the middle of the woods or doing other things we like or need to do. Sorry for the inconvenience to you but that's just the way it is!

To answer your question, NO!! You will NOT ever have to prime the oil pump unless you drain it by removing the crankcase drain plug in the front bottom of the crankcase. Even then its probably not really necessary but Polaris tells you to do it out of caution.
Have you tried just tightening the banjo bolts a little to see if that will make it stop leaking?
The crush washers are copper and crush/squeeze down under pressure to seal.
Just put the new crush washers in, inspect the lines while you have them out to make sure its not the line itself leaking at the banjo fitting. Start the engine and let run a minute to see if you fixed the leaks. Let it sit a few minutes and top up with oil if needed... Pretty simple.
indyred570 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Yesterday was Saturday. Most guys on this site actually RIDE atv's when they can. The weekends are good times to ride or do other stuff for many of us who have regular jobs. We contribute to this forum voluntarily to share knowledge and try to help other Polaris riders. We don't get paid for sharing our knowledge and don't have time to be answering mechanic questions while out in the middle of the woods or doing other things we like or need to do. Sorry for the inconvenience to you but that's just the way it is!

To answer your question, NO!! You will NOT ever have to prime the oil pump unless you drain it by removing the crankcase drain plug in the front bottom of the crankcase. Even then its probably not really necessary but Polaris tells you to do it out of caution.
Have you tried just tightening the banjo bolts a little to see if that will make it stop leaking?
The crush washers are copper and crush/squeeze down under pressure to seal.
Just put the new crush washers in, inspect the lines while you have them out to make sure its not the line itself leaking at the banjo fitting. Start the engine and let run a minute to see if you fixed the leaks. Let it sit a few minutes and top up with oil if needed... Pretty simple.
I shouldnt of said that. Had s bad morning. I apolgize. I was actually out dinkin around on mine yesterday to.

But anyways, yes ive tryed tightening them but i can tell the washers are pretty mangled for one reason or another.

Thanks for answering my questions. Never dealt with a dry sump system before.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 AM

No problem OP. You can probably find the same crush washers at an auto parts store for a fraction of the price from Polaris. Clean and check the lines closely for any cracks at the fitting/line intersection and for burrs or other rough spots on the sealing surfaces.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
No problem OP. You can probably find the same crush washers at an auto parts store for a fraction of the price from Polaris. Clean and check the lines closely for any cracks at the fitting/line intersection and for burrs or other rough spots on the sealing surfaces.
General protocol ive found is to always check other places besides polaris 🙂

But ill check for the cracks/burrs as well. Thank you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

LOL... yep, they're really proud of their parts as are most OEM no matter the brand. One of the things I really like about Polaris machines, is that they use a lot of off-the-shelf parts that can be alternatively sourced if you know where to look whereas many the other brands use proprietary parts that have no other source.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL... yep, they're really proud of their parts as are most OEM no matter the brand. One of the things I really like about Polaris machines, is that they use a lot of off-the-shelf parts that can be alternatively sourced if you know where to look whereas many the other brands use proprietary parts that have no other source.
Changed the washers still leaking.

Degreased everything with carb cleaner and it was leaking out the bottom of the filter and drippin down the line/fittings. Gonna clean that up tomorrow.

However, ive done 3 oil changes on this thing in the year ive had it, and maybe i never noticed before, but i have metal shavings in the oil. Not really shavings, more like, i dunno, glitter. Its not a bunch and ive read its normal???

It runs strong and doesnt knock or anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode