Polaris never again Sportsman Etx - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Polaris never again Sportsman Etx

Polaris is the biggest pos brand you can buy. I will never own another one.
2015 Sportsman Etx 963 miles 115 hours.
Issues in the last two years and continuing

Voltage rectifier replaced
Fuel pump failed during ride
Winch wiring shorted out on frame (dealer install)
All 4 corners have play if you press in and out in top of the tire
Clunking noises involving rear end slop when hitting bumps or using the rear brakes
Battery strap broke on ride and it rubbed the front driveshaft

Now the 1 year old rectifier will not charge the battery when the quad is started without revving it up and watching for it to kick in with a multimeter. Then it will charge at idle
And now the fkin motor is leaking oil at the front, behind or around the motor mount bracket

F polaris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Ok so you need new bushings more than likely. The winch isnít Polaris fault itís your fault for letting the dealer install it. The oil leak could be simple. A battery strap? I mean that could happen to any brand. Voltage regulators are common on the Polaris so that is for sure a Polaris issue. Did Polaris cover any of the other stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SportsFans likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 AM

Sounds like you got a bad one. Don't mean they all are though. Your dealer hasn't been any help?
You should probably just go get a Honda.
Liftedpsd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:00 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Every manufacturer has lemons. You take that chance any time you buy something. Donít let one bad apple ruin your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

A friend of mine had the output shaft of his 2010 Honda 500 Rancher break requiring complete engine disassembly to replace - should he not buy Honda anymore? He also had the rectifier, alternator, one front drive shaft, winch and other parts fail since it was new. He did not abandon the brand, he just bought a 2018 TRX500FA7 Rubicon 500 Deluxe Auto DCT EPS - figures if it lasts the same amount of time as the old one with more repairs than the old one, then it will be worth the investment. But, he doesn't use it just for fun, it is for working on the farm. It will go places the 4WD truck won't, is easier to navigate in tight situations and easier to retrieve when it breaks. If you are using the quad strictly for recreation, you can expect more repairs than one used for a specific purpose.

Did you ever over rev the engine? Did you ever let it sit and idle for more than 5 minutes? Did you ever 'jump' with it or 'pull wheelies'? Dis you ever run it at top speed for more than 500 feet? Did you ever take through mud deeper than 8 inches for more than about 20 feet? Did it ever not get washed after a mud outing? If yes, then it was abused. Abused vehicles need repairs more often.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post

Did you ever over rev the engine? Did you ever let it sit and idle for more than 5 minutes? Did you ever 'jump' with it or 'pull wheelies'? Dis you ever run it at top speed for more than 500 feet? Did you ever take through mud deeper than 8 inches for more than about 20 feet? Did it ever not get washed after a mud outing? If yes, then it was abused. Abused vehicles need repairs more often.
Over rev, no
Idle, no besides testing stator and reg
no the suspension won't handle the weight
not enough power to wheelie
Top speed for 500 feet, no it is a Polaris it would probably catch on fire
mud 8" 20 ft, that is abuse? Lol
I wash it every time

i found out something interesting today though with my charging problem.
The dealer I had work on my quad in 2016 stole my brand new voltage regulator I installed and replaced it with one that had the red power wire spliced. The soldered splice went bad. The one I put on was brand new

Last edited by PaYankee; 04-20-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
If that's the case then 100% of ATV's are abused.Sounds like lawyer talk
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

You are almost right - 99.5% of all ATV's are abused - most on purpose and some not intentionally - only a few are used as intended by the manufacturer - abuse includes; infrequent oil changes, incorrect tire pressure, washing with a high pressure washer, not washing, failure to follow the recommended maintenance intervals and even failure to read the owners manual.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Last edited by latebird; 04-21-2019 at 05:02 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:29 AM
ATV Enthusiast

What is the fascination with wheelies?

Washing after every ride is adking for electrical issues. Did you dielectric grease every connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee View Post
Quote:

Over rev, no
Idle, no besides testing stator and reg
no the suspension won't handle the weight
not enough power to wheelie
Top speed for 500 feet, no it is a Polaris it would probably catch on fire
mud 8" 20 ft, that is abuse? Lol
I wash it every time

The dealer I had work on my quad in 2016 stole my brand new voltage regulator I installed and replaced it with one that had the red power wire spliced. The soldered splice went bad. The one I put on was brand new
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

This voltage regulator issue sounds fishy to me. The red wire has a bad solder joint, but when rev up the bike it started to charge? Why would the dealer working on the regulator if you had already replaced it.

The dealer I had work on my quad in 2016 stole my brand new voltage regulator I installed and replaced it with one that had the red power wire spliced. The soldered splice went bad. The one I put on was brand new[/QUOTE]

2017 Sportsman XP 1000
RJWC Exhaust
RVS Performance ECU flash

2004 Sportsman 600 Twin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode