Carb Rebuild still dies with throttle applied. - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Its this jet that is hidden that gives this issue you have. you can see the hole on one end I have in my finger but the other end is real tiny and will not even exist after ethanol sets for some time even with stabilizer. I have a 99 Sportsman and been there. Check it out. If you try to use a small torch tip cleaner it will ruin it. They are cheap from Polaris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4996.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	118123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4998.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	118125  
freesample and HawkX66 like this.

1999 Sportsman 500

Last edited by ronbell2u; 05-29-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

all jets are brand new in the carb. So the carb is extremely clean and I really do not think its the issue. I believe its a fuel flow issue based on what i found out last night and told earlier in the forum.

The flow from the pump to the carb was a trickle compared to the flow from the tank. The carb is starving for fuel, so this leads me to believe it is the fuel pump. The fuel line from the tank would not reached the carb directly to bypass the fuel pump to confirm its the issue, so I am picking up some fuel line today to confirm its the pump. Purchased a replacement pump on amazon this morning.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesample View Post
all jets are brand new in the carb. So the carb is extremely clean and I really do not think its the issue. I believe its a fuel flow issue based on what i found out last night and told earlier in the forum.

The flow from the pump to the carb was a trickle compared to the flow from the tank. The carb is starving for fuel, so this leads me to believe it is the fuel pump. The fuel line from the tank would not reached the carb directly to bypass the fuel pump to confirm its the issue, so I am picking up some fuel line today to confirm its the pump. Purchased a replacement pump on amazon this morning.
How's the petcock? Verify flow before and after?

Semper Fi!
04 Sportsman 600 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

so my fuel lines go

Tank to petcock- flow great (but still not the size of the fuel line)
petcock to pump- did not check this
pump to carb - slow trickle
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:18 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
so my fuel lines go

Tank to petcock- flow great (but still not the size of the fuel line)
petcock to pump- did not check this
pump to carb - slow trickle
I would definitely rule that out before swapping fuel pumps. Don't move on to the next part of the fuel circuit until you get what you expect out of what you're looking at. Petcocks gum up all the time. Not to say it couldn't be the fuel pump, but rule out a clogged petcock first.
Also, when are you seeing the trickle from the pump to the carb? From the pump it will only trickle at most unless it's running.
freesample likes this.

Semper Fi!
04 Sportsman 600 4x4

Last edited by HawkX66; 05-30-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

10.4 I will do that before changing the fuel pump. The slow trickle is when the atv is running at idle.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Id say you still have ethonol contamination in possibly your float, fuel pump or needle valve. Could be also your choke is not operating right ?

Ethonol is a killer to small parts. I use SeaFoam to combat this and I find it works head and shoulders over everything out there.

You also might wanna check your solenoid and its wires. My 04 had a corroded connection giving me periodic starting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:27 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Run it till it dies, then open the bowl drain screw. Should tell you real quick if the carb is running dry or not. Then would be float setting, partially plugged main jet, then follow back to pump. Make sure the crank case vac line to the fuel pump is good too. Messing with the carb and lines could have dislodged some crap in the lines or elsewhere and clogged something. If someone else already mentioned all this then feel free to ignore me and carry on. Been a long week.

'99 335 Sportsman
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Negative. The fuel pump was bad, so installing the new pump fixed the flow to the carb. The ATV starts fine, but the carb now seems to be flooded with gas and runs extremely rough.

Put everything back to factory settings but am at a brick wall. Oh and now gas is flowing out of the float bowl when the petcock is turned on.

-new air intake/ filter
-all new jets (carb completely cleaned)
-all new fuel pump
-new fuel filter

shop may be my next course of action.

Last edited by freesample; 06-04-2019 at 04:27 AM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:02 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Negative. The fuel pump was bad, so installing the new pump fixed the flow to the carb. The ATV starts fine, but the carb now seems to be flooded with gas and runs extremely rough.

Put everything back to factory settings but am at a brick wall. Oh and now gas is flowing out of the float bowl when the petcock is turned on.

-new air intake/ filter
-all new jets (carb completely cleaned)
-all new fuel pump
-new fuel filter

shop may be my next course of action.
Glad to hear you got the flow straightened out. Now pull your carb back off and make sure you set the float level according to spec. If you have a good needle and seat in there now it must not be adjusted correctly if it's flooding. It's allowing the gas to flow past the needle and seat which should be shutting off the flow when the bowl is full.

Semper Fi!
04 Sportsman 600 4x4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode