2006 Sportsman 700 Wiring - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

2006 Sportsman 700 Wiring

I have a 2006 700 twin. I was riding it today. Stopped at a stop sign. Took off and got 1/4 mile up the road and it lost all power and the ATV just rolled to a stop. Cluster went blank like it had no power to it. Aftermarket light bar still works, winch still works and it rolls over when you jump the selonoid. What could it be? I'm kinda irritated about it. The trails were ridiculously bumpy could I have rattled something loose or?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:39 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Check the handlebar kill switch on the left side of the bar - check the connectors where they plug in - unplug them, clean them and plug them back in - also check the 6 amp fuse in the fuse block - it blows and you lose the speedo and ignition

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I have the front plastics off it and the storage rack but I have yet to find any fuse panel. I will definately check the plug in for the kill switch though. It just died when I was riding like someone turned the key off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel09 View Post
I have the front plastics off it and the storage rack but I have yet to find any fuse panel. I will definately check the plug in for the kill switch though. It just died when I was riding like someone turned the key off.
I bet you have a 2006 Sportsman 700 CARB machine... There is no fuse panel and it has that weird screwed up ignition system!!
Does it look like the pictures below with the different controller modules and crap in it?
IIRC there was a recall on some of those old 700's because of that screwed up electrical/ignition system catching fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9422c14.gif
Views:	34
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	118319   Click image for larger version

Name:	9920017e01.gif
Views:	37
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	118321  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Those things look familiar. I wish I could load the picture I have on my phone here. But I couldnt find any fuses, or anything like that that could have went bad or blown.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

My uncle owned it and I bet he never took it in for any recalls. He didnt do any maintenance on it. How do I tell if anything was done or if it was recalled?? And if so would they still fix it if it hasnt been done yet?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel09 View Post
My uncle owned it and I bet he never took it in for any recalls. He didnt do any maintenance on it. How do I tell if anything was done or if it was recalled?? And if so would they still fix it if it hasnt been done yet?
Take the VIN to a dealer and they can tell you anything that's been done. Polaris also has a recall site that you can see if it affects your machine. A good dealer might be able to help you out if they think you may become a regular customer in the future.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks. Another dumb question. Since it is electrical. Would I be better off taking it to a dealer to have them fix it? I know I can save some $$$ by taking it to them with the plastics already off. I'm just not an electrician and if the electrical system I have is goofy id rather not fuck it up.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:24 AM

Yep, I'd take it to them with the plastics off and let them hook it up to their Digital Wrench diagnostics software to see if they can quickly determine what the issue may be. There should be only a minimal charge for the diagnostics. Ask them about any recall info while they are diagnosing it and see what it might cost to fix before turning them loose on it.
Corbett1973 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate any and all help. I will update once I get it figured out to help any other person who may have this same problem and read this post.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode