Fuel Sender Unit Mystery - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

1Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Sender Unit Mystery

For the past few years my fuel gauge has read empty on my '08 Sportsman 800. I just thought the float was detached. and never got around to fixing. Well today I pulled the gas tank (need to change spark plugs.) and took off the fuel sender unit.

Sender unit looks good, float is undamaged and attached. I cleaned up the resistor pad with some scotch bright pad - but still it don't work. If I plug in the sender unit outside of the tank and manually move the float value it works. Yet when I install in the tank and fill with gas, I'm only get an empty reading.

A new sender unit is $450 so that's not an option.

I'm stuck on why this fuel float sender is not working properly

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 AM

Reach in the tank with a coat hanger hook or something similar and pull up on the arm to see if it'll start working. I think sometimes the float gets stuck on the side of the tank when completely empty or something. My 06 800 did that once while I was bouncing hard through some rough stuff with the tank really low. Fished the arm up just to see what would happen and its worked ever since. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

If I reach in there with a wire I can move the sending unit float arm and then I get a reading. It's been that way for ever, so that's why I thought the float was detached.

But then this leads me to believe that the FLOAT itself -has STOPPED Floating. Never heard of such a thing, but going to get a new float. Found a guy on ebay who sells them for $15. Let's see if that solves the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

The floats are usually closed cell polystyrene foam plastic - if the smooth outer finish of the unit is not 100% impenetrable, alcohol will enter and dissolve the walls of the cells making the closed cell construction open cell and it will absorb fuel like a sponge - it then becomes a sinker. It happens to carb floats frequently as the float is cast upon a metal arm. With the floats, the liquid enters between the float arm and the float material. Most fuel tank floats are captive on a spring hook - some Chinese fuel sending units have the float drilled and the float arm is simply a piece of wire bent 90 degrees, inserted through the drilled hole and held in place with a push on retaining ring. I replace sending units on Chinese scooters frequently for floats that don't float.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I used to have a 2007 Polaris snowmachine that the float stopped floating,had to buy a new gas cap/guage assembly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Yes it was a bad OEM Float. What a joke. Polaris must use the cheapest parts. I mean a float should float for 1000 years, not just until warranty expires.

Ticked me off as I have spent tons of hours on this and years with this issue.

The replacement float from ebay was just fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

It's not the quality of the float, it's the alcohol in the fuel - but I have seen cracked brass and hollow plastic floats also

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Some of that bunch in Washington ought to be given an alcohol enema twice a day!!
FPD218 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode