2004 polaris sportsman 400 speedometer - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

2004 polaris sportsman 400 speedometer

I have one question, that hopefully you guys have the answer to. I have a 2004 Polaris sportsman 400 with a bad gauge/instrument cluster and found cheap used 2013 midsize Polaris ranger 500 speedometer/gauge cluster, that looks like they have the same kind of plugs/connectors. Hopefully you guys can help me, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:48 AM

The part numbers don't match up but that may just be the color or other minor differences. They do appear to have the same connectors and general design though. I suspect it would probably work but can't say for sure.
The first link is the 400. Second is the Ranger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-New...oAAOSwUP5cCCBi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2...cAAOSwIildH-QW
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I suspect they might interchange, but curiously the 400 instrument retails for $370 and wholesales for $271.55
The Ranger instrument retails for $435 and wholesales for $266.06

Bigger markup on the Ranger parts, but initially a cheaper product - my guess is the Ranger instrument has a higher rate of failure and therefore a higher demand or they sell more Rangers than Sportsmans - kind like the LH headlight of a Ford F150 costs more than the RH - higher demand for the LH because it is damaged more frequently in accidents than the RH side. Demand drives the cost.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
I suspect they might interchange, but curiously the 400 instrument retails for $370 and wholesales for $271.55
The Ranger instrument retails for $435 and wholesales for $266.06

Bigger markup on the Ranger parts, but initially a cheaper product - my guess is the Ranger instrument has a higher rate of failure and therefore a higher demand or they sell more Rangers than Sportsmans - kind like the LH headlight of a Ford F150 costs more than the RH - higher demand for the LH because it is damaged more frequently in accidents than the RH side. Demand drives the cost.
thank you so much and I also found used ranger speedometers for 179 dollars and the cheapest sportsman 400 speedometer i could find was like 260$
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
The part numbers don't match up but that may just be the color or other minor differences. They do appear to have the same connectors and general design though. I suspect it would probably work but can't say for sure.
The first link is the 400. Second is the Ranger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-New...oAAOSwUP5cCCBi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2...cAAOSwIildH-QW
Thank you so much that speedometer is cheaper than the one I originally found, I couldn't find no cheap used 2004 Polaris sportsman 400 speedometers for cheap.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:58 PM

Uh... I just noticed something about the link I posted for the used Ranger speedo. According the description given, that speedo would have clocked an average speed of 50+mph! That can't possibly be correct! With 5000+ miles showing it would more likely have around 500-600 hours on the clock... Not 104 hours as advertised. Regardless, if it works and you need it then all that is irrelevant.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode