Polaris ATV Forum banner

Hard to shift, jerking forward going into gear

11K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
What am I missing here. Motor mount replaced. Took primary to dealer had them go through it and replaced one way bearing, got secondary shims, belt looks centered still no luck. What am I missing here. I'm going crazy. This is on 08 800ho

#2 ·
RPM's high???

#4 ·
How easy should that new one way bearing spin? When you spin it by hand it feels a little stiff to me, like that new bearing feel, you really have to grip it tight. the dealer says it's normal, but the secondary spins so freely in N I would think it would spin before the bearing. To me I would think that new one way should spin by hand as freely as a fidget spinner

#6 ·
It doesn't necessarily turn hard, but it doesn't free spin with one finger either. The secondary spins way more freely than the bearing. I have to be overlooking something, this dealer is usually pretty good, and they were actually pretty happy with themselves they were able to torque it down without breaking, said it's a 50/50 shot! I hate to run the clutch back up and look like a dummy questioning their work. Thought I'd check here first

#8 ·
No, the one-way won't just spin super free like a fidget spinner lol. So long as it turns easily with your fingers its ok.
What is your VIN? Date of manufacture?
What belt are you using? Polaris experimented with different clutches and belts on the 800 from it's introduction in 2005 for a few years.

#9 ·
One other thing... You said you replaced the motor mount. The front I'm guessing? In my experience with the 800s, you usually have to put a pry bar up through the skid plate/frame and push the front of the engine over toward the clutch side with your foot about as far as it will go while you tighten the mount down in order to preliminarily align the clutches properly. That engine will torque over to the right when running increasing misalignment even more. Just putting the mount in and tightening as it sits in the frame won't work in my experience. You then do the fine tuning of alignment by adding or subtracting shims behind the secondary.
You might also want to measure center to center distance of your clutches too and let me know what you find.
It may take some fine tuning but we'll get you right. If you take the time to get it right it will shift slick as butter.
Just get me the info and we'll go from there.

#11 ·
I put a new belt on it last year. Seemed to work fine, it just gradually started this a month or so ago. So I started with front motor mount. Maybe I shifted it the wrong way when I installed the new motor mount. From the look of the belt line up, looked like I needed to shift it to the right(sitting on it) so to the stator side. To me bearing spins freely like new bearing should. There has to be a correct way to line this up. The issue I see is there is in and out line up, and also angle and tilt line up. With how easy the secondary spins, I don't see how it will never free spin some with the primary.
The belt number looks to be a 3211113 maybe? It's hard to read.
Vin # 4XAMN76A38A2404XAMN76A38A240619
Date 08/13/2007

#12 ·
This thing is being difficult, no matter the changes I try, it doesn't change. I shifted motor other way, it acts exactly the same.try changing shims no different. You would think with all the changing you would notice slightly better or worse, but it's all the same

#13 · (Edited)
I know this is long shot it's there anyway primary spring is weak? And slightly pulling in at idle?
I just can't seem to grasp the concept, if the one way bearing doesn't spin like butter, I would think it would always try to spin the 2ndry. I mean you have to use finger &thumb together to spin it
Every video I watch of a Polaris running in neutral the secondary is spinning some. I can't hardly believe it sits perfectly still and one way is only thing spinning, what keeps those quads from shifting hard?you would think any spinning of the secondary would make it hard to shift

#16 ·
Have you verified that it is the correct belt?
Can you put the ATV in forward or reverse and then start it (holding the brake)? Release brake, does the machine want to still go?
For sure, something is just not right.
Have you followed Polman's suggestions?

#17 ·
If you think everything appears good, it may just need to be run a little to break in the new stiff belt and loosen up the freshly rebuilt clutch? Unless its just so bad you can't. As suggested, start it in gear and ride it around a little to warm everything up, heat up/limber the belt and see if it gets any better.
Oh yeah, when checking the centering of the belt, rev the machine up pretty high a few times in N and then let it idle back down while watching if the belt is running centered.

#18 ·
I finally got mad enough I grab the primary, secondary and belt and went to the dealer. Walked right up to service manager and said here feel this bearing, his response "uh that feels way too stiff" Really because you guys just put a new one in it last week. I've spent 8 hours messing with aliment issues and it sounds like its still bearing issue! I said i'll just leave it here call me when its right, lol. He was cool and no I wasn't rude, people make mistakes, I just hope they can get it right this time.
He did say yes the secondary can still turn some in N. But with how tight this bearing was, the secondary would spin way too much! Lots hope this is it!!

#21 ·
Looks like i'm buying a new primary. They didn't notice when they had it apart but the shaft was worn, I guess it will cause a sheave to be slightly at angle and apply too much pressure on bearing and not allow to spin freely? Oh well least the will credit me back all parts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.