2010 500HO Hesitation on acceleration - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

2010 500HO Hesitation on acceleration

Hi All,

I have a 2010 500HO that seems to hesitate or miss on acceleration under load. I took my son to the gas station and while we were headed there, during acceleration from a stop, it would miss. I should mention too, it has a miss at idle but no discernible miss when in punching the throttle in park. The idle miss is confirmable using a timing light. It is absolutely possible this miss is also occurring under load and noticeable in park, off idle. The carb has been off half a dozen times, super clean, blown out all the jets (new carb kit), ran seafoam through it etc. I'm at a bit of a loss here. I am going to see tonight if the fuel pump is pumping as it should. It does mange 55 MPH but, misses as you are holding WOT. I can ease into the throttle up to 25MPH without noticing it but after 1/4 throttle it starts to become noticeable. The rpm gauge is inaccurate without the lights on if that matters? Anyone experienced this? I'm stumped and don't want to just throw money at it. The ignition should fire every time regardless the situation in the combustion chamber, right?

Carb Cleaned
Seafoamed
New Belt
New filter
Cam is good
Valves are clearanced
No gas in oil
Carb clean tested the intake boots on both sides of the carb

Things i have considered (but don't want to throw money at yet, i'm done doing that):
Pickup coil? - doesn't pickup up every time?
Ignition coil? I did get it to jump a "10,000V" Gap with a spark tester
CDI? But why? lol

Last edited by Willshire; 08-12-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Spark plug - spark plug cap - electrode gap?

If you are visibly missing spark (confirmed with timing light) then why are you working on the fuel system? Work on the ignition system. Unless the fuel system is causing a fouled plug, then work on the fuel system. Always perform testing with a new spark plug even if the plug is only a week old. My opinion is a spark plug in not new anymore if it has been used to run the engine. All spark plugs are used unless they are in a box and have never been in an engine.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I worked on the air system. Checked out. Then to the fuel system because it did have a couple fueling issues that seem to have sorted out. Then on to the ignition system. I guess since thatís the order I do it on my classic car stuff itís just a thing I do. Now that I am onto the ignition system, and done some preliminary testing on a brand new spark plug, I can get the spark to jump a 10,000 volt gap (1/8Ē gap) but itís kinda orange. But I havenít found what the output voltage of the coil should be. What little info I have found on small engines, itís around 5,000. (Riding lawnmowers and such) the spark looked decent off the side of the engine and it throttles up decent. I donít want to throw a coil at it if itís something else. Iíll run through the standard electrical tests for the rectifier and stator/CDI tonight to narrow it a little closer. I posted here for that ďsame thing happened to mine and it was .......Ē you know? To narrow it further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Orange spark is typically weak - it should be blue to white and it should jump 1/2 to 1 inch - I never measured the voltage from the coil to the plug, but I have been taught it is typically 10,000 to 40,000 volts peak - it will vary from make to make and model to model. Check the spark with the plug cap removed.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Orange spark is typically weak - it should be blue to white and it should jump 1/2 to 1 inch - I never measured the voltage from the coil to the plug, but I have been taught it is typically 10,000 to 40,000 volts peak - it will vary from make to make and model to model. Check the spark with the plug cap removed.

Thatís what I was thinking. Orange is week unless you are testing over the voltage rating of the coil. I will check the resistances for .3 primary, 6.3k secondary. Should be able to discern transformer ratio from that.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I've been thinking a little about this, running around the web for answers, and came across a suggestion from RM stator. If the gap between the pickup coil and the flywheel is too large, less voltage will be going to the cdi to signal the ignition coil. A gap of .015" will produce 8-12 Volts but a .045" gap could produce as low as 2 Volts. So if the gap is off just slightly (give or take .010") this could produce a weak voltage to the CDI and in turn crappy signal to the ignition coil primary.

I will perform the following tests before opening my wallet

Pickup coil gap check (if voltage check is low)
Pickup coil output voltage check (ignition wire disconnected)
Ignition coil input voltage check (looking for 12V here)
Ignition coil primary and secondary resistance checks.
Stator Voltage checks just to be sure

So i think I've got it narrowed down to the above two coils with a stator check to top it off. Coming from a car background there are no pickup coils so i would have never thought of this.

Not a lot of information out there on intermittent spark miss
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

OK - I have been reading the service manual - lo and behold, this Polaris does not have a CDI ignition! It is referred to as a CDI but is nothing more than an electronically controlled ignition. Similar to what Kawasaki used prior to installing CDI on their vehicles.

Electronic controlled ignition is a simple method of replacing points with an electronic switch. 12vdc is supplied to the coil and when the pulse generator tells the control unit (ECU - electronic control unit not CDI - capacitive discharge ignition) to fire the spark plug, the 12vdc is interrupted, the magnetic field around the coil collapses and generates the voltage necessary to create the spark.

Knowing this, if you n=have 12vdc to the coil and the coil has a good connection to ground, a weak spark is the result of a bad coil, bad spark plug cap, bad spark plug or a bad connection between the engine and the coil ground.

Polaris should be sued for false advertising - electronic control is not capacitive discharge ignition unless in some convoluted way the ECU is using capacitive discharge to interrupt the flow of current to the coil. Most ECU's use SCR's to stop current flow that results in a spark.

If you have intermittent or weak spark it could be the ECU or the pulse generator, but is more commonly the components listed previously. A weak signal from the pulse generator could result in an SCR not stopping current flow completely, but it would have to be 'right conditions' for it to happen. It is not the norm. Too little voltage from the PG and the SCR fails to fire and spark does not occur. Normally if the SCR is triggered, spark is good. With EC ignition, spark may be fine with as little as 6 volts from the battery. The PG voltage has nothing to do with the voltage output from the coil, is used only to trigger the SCR.

Now I got to get with God of Thunder - his 330 he is having problems with has the same ignition as this 500.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

So that said, I will grab a coil just in case but determine all other resistances and voltages first since coils are not returnable once opened. I will have to modify the connections a bit on the replacement since the aftermarket is a bit different, for $40CDN where the exact Polaris part is $260 plus $70 for the cap. Yikes. So the PG is only the activation of the signal and is completely separate from the signal to the coil? Makes sense to use a relay analogy the PG turns the relay coil on and off and the relay contacts are the coil power. I agree a weak PG signal could perhaps not fire the scr to energize the ignition coil creating a miss.
Will check it all out

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Pickup coil good
Ignition coil good primary and secondary
Stator windings good
Timing is right on

Iím back to carb I think. Would a no atomized fuel cause a ignition miss visible by timing light?

Carb is not dirty. Although the pilot screw is frozen in its well but factory set
Can the main jet tube be removed? I have replaced the jet needle and needle and seat and main jet.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Iím at a loss. Electrics check out. Carb is super clean. Rebuilt. Tried it with the spark arrester plug out. Everything seems good. Valves are adjusted cam lobes arenít fried. I donít know. The miss is enough to bog the bike while accelerating. Time to sell it. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in