Staring problems - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Staring problems

I have a 2016 Sportsman 450ho. I charged the battery, before I turned the key I unplugged the charger. it started right up. When I removed the contacts from the battery it died and has no power. If I put the contacts back on the battery it will start with or without the charger plugged in. What the heck is wrong with it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

First guess? Loose connections on the battery terminals

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I checked those, they are tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Bad voltage regulator? Bad battery? Bad connection somewhere?

Mine-

2016 Polaris Sportsman 1000 Highlifter
RJWC Exhaust- For Sale!
GSE Trail Tamer slip on exhaust
RVS Performance ECU flash
Snorkel Kit
KFI Tiger Tail
HD ATV Gear Pinion Plate Upgrade
High Lifter DHT Front & Rear Axles
Uni Air Filter
Rogue Offroad Radiator cover
Dalton Industries Primary Clutch Spring
Mictuning 14" LED Light bar
Race Driven Mud Rotors and brake pads

2018 Polaris 1000 RZR XP
Tusk Aluminum Storage Box
Dragonfire Gusset Plate
Super ATV Front bumper
UTV Giant Doors, roof, half windshield, light bar
Razor Nation Door Graphics
Extreme UTV winch
Seizmik mirrors

2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Wasted Wages SOMD
@wastedwagessomd on Instagram
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 AM
ATV Enthusiast

So it seems like the charger cables are completing the some type of circuit for you To start the bike? But wonít allow to start if you take the charger cables off? Can you start the bike by merely touching the charger clamps to the battery terminals? If not, there could be corrosion creating resistance at the terminals. Have you cleaned the battery connections well? Main ground on the frame is clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:53 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Staring problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgpolaris450ho View Post
I have a 2016 Sportsman 450ho. I charged the battery, before I turned the key I unplugged the charger. it started right up. When I removed the contacts from the battery it died and has no power. If I put the contacts back on the battery it will start with or without the charger plugged in. What the heck is wrong with it?
Thanks
I had to read this post slowly - now I believe what you are saying is; with the engine running you are disconnecting the battery and it is dying. Is that right?

If that's what you are doing DON'T DO IT! - disconnecting the battery while running can cause the charging system to 'spike' - it can burn out the lights, speedometer, ignition and damage the charging system. It is not designed to run without the battery! If you did this, what possessed you to? When vehicles had DC generators, you could disconnect the battery and it would continue to run if the generator was working. That test will not work with most AC generator charging systems. It is OK for old Triumph motorcycles that use point type ignition systems and Zener Diode voltage regulators on single phase alternators, so there are exceptions, but rule of thumb is do not do it on modern 3 phase solid state rectifier/regulator charging systems.

I burned all the lights out on my 83 KZ305 Kawasaki when the ground wire broke while I was riding. Not only did the lights burn out, the bike died and I coasted to a stop. Found out what happened, fixed the ground and it ran again. I got lucky and it did not wipe out the CDI. New head light was $75 and I had to get it from Australia. Kawasaki discontinued it 20 years ago and nothing else will fit it.

Please tell me that you are not disconnecting the battery leads while the engine is running.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

No. after charging the battery, I unplugged the charger from the wall. the charging cables were still connected to the battery (no power) unplugged. I started my ATV. I disconnected the charging cables an it died. No power. If I put the charging cables back on it will start weather or not the charging cable have power.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

This is quite odd - I would double check the battery connections - take the wires off the terminals and sand or wire brush the connectors to remove any oxidation or corrosion, reconnect them and tighten securely. Sometimes just loosening the cables and moving them back and forth is sufficient to correct a faulty connection. I'm guessing the battery charger clamps are bridging a poor connection.
Willshire likes this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:36 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
This is quite odd - I would double check the battery connections - take the wires off the terminals and sand or wire brush the connectors to remove any oxidation or corrosion, reconnect them and tighten securely. Sometimes just loosening the cables and moving them back and forth is sufficient to correct a faulty connection. I'm guessing the battery charger clamps are bridging a poor connection.

This was my feeling too. The clamps are somehow bridging the corrosion of the connections. Although if the stator was good it should keep running, right? An alternator car would keep running if you disconnected the battery because the alt is still charging. Itís not good for it but, it should remain running. Maybe thatís just the 1988 Cadillac field car we had lol. We had no battery in it, battery cables hung out the hood and weíd boost it to get it to run. Lasted a long time that way. You could try a couple of checks like put the black clamp to the frame, disconnect the black first, then reconnect and disconnect the red. The results could lead you down a good path to whether itís the positive or negative side giving you issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:51 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

It will die if the battery connection is broken - the Caddie had an alternator that is 'overdriven' using a belt and pulleys - the Polaris alternator is driven off the crankshaft and does not start to charge until between 2000 and 2500 RPM. The Polaris is operating at a total loss until engine speed is increased, therefore if you disconnect the battery there is no 'generated' voltage to supply the ignition, but don't try it - I have seen many damaged ignition systems caused by jumping a dead battery to start a dead quad and then trying to charge the battery by running the vehicle. Honda, Yamaha, Polaris and all other models share this shortcoming. No, it will not run off the alternator - find and fix the problem to avoid more costly repairs down the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Tags
sportsman 450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode