2000 Sportsman 500 Drive Belt Replacment - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

2Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500
  • 1 Post By lazypengu1n

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

2000 Sportsman 500 Drive Belt Replacment

Hey guys, I bought a used 2000 Sportsman 500 about a year or so ago and it's in amazing condition for its age. However, it still has the original drive belt and I think I would like to replace it just for peace of mind. I don't do any kind of severe riding, the bike has never seen any mud, and the only hauling it does is once a year it has to haul me and deer carcass out of the woods.

Aside from the OEM belt, what other drive belts do you all recommend? I don't think I need to spend a ton on a high performance or severe duty belt, but I could be swayed if it's really necessary. My Sportsman DOES have the EBS if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Thuroughly clean the clutches and put a Gates on for a fraction the price of OEM and never look back. Save the old belt for a spare.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I found a Gates for $60 on Amazon and free shipping. They were $70 plus tax locally.

Exactly how do I clean the clutches? I already removed the old belt and took a scotchbrite pad to the inside surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Compressed air will do the trick unless you want to actually disassemble and REALLY clean/service them.
Olympus likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 AM

I just picked up a 2000 Sportsman 500 4x4 and I also went with the Gates belt for approx. $40. I didn't realize that there are two versions of the belt depending on if your machine has EBS. You can look at the primary clutch and if the center where the belt rides on is smooth, it's a Non-EBS, if it looks like what a car belt would go on with the ridges, it's the EBS version. I didn't know the difference and I picked up the Non-EBS and had to return it recently.

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

2000 Sportsman 500 Drive Belt Replacment

Mine has the EBS so ordered the right one I think. Should be here in a few days. I was able to get the clutch cover off and get the old belt removed. It looked decent. The ribs on the inside where showing some wear, but nothing terrible. The inside of the clutch cover was completely coated in a thick black grease though! Got it on my arms and hands it wouldn’t hardly come off. I used a brush and Dawn dish soap and had to wash the inside of the clutch cover 3 times to get it clean. Not sure where all that grease came from. Everything else inside looked normal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:56 AM

Agreed! I ended up using the tool to take off the primary clutch and and cleaned it up. Mine wasn't greased up at all but the amount of dust that came off it was crazy. Good luck and hope to see more progress!
Olympus likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Got the belt in today and got it installed in less than 5 minutes. Looks like a very high quality belt. I took it for a short ride around the neighborhood to try to start the break in process. Everything works like it should. One thing I noticed that was different is that the EBS engages and slows the ATV down a lot faster than it did with the other belt. You let off the throttle and you slow down pretty quickly. I do about 70% of my driving in low range, so I don't think I'll ever need to replace the belt for as long as I keep the bike. Just peace of mind really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode