01 500 HO acts like rev limiter on in forward - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

01 500 HO acts like rev limiter on in forward

Disconnecting the black lead from the CDI cures it but i loose other important functions with wire disconnect.
Bogs and backfires in forward, also rev limiter does not work in reverse. Please help. Thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:28 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Casing the same problem in my 800efi right now. I have it narrowed done to the speedometer. On mine the speedometer controls the speed limiting in reverse. Not sure if yours is the same. Im thinking it is. Hook the black wire back up to the CDI and unplug the speedometer and see if it still runs good that way.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:12 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Yes, the rev limiter is part of the speedo - try unplugging it and see that cures the problem - have you tried holding in the reverst override button while in forward?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I will try that, it seems to happen after a couple miles and when is happening if i put it in neutral and rev it up the neutral light blinks along with the backfiring, but does not blink normally. It has no limiter in reverse and the button does nothing, I pulled the connector to the rev button and put my continuity tester on it and the button is working. Thank you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

No limiter in reverse, and the button has no affect when the problem happens. The po changed the ignition switch, seems like the wrong switch it has a extra position after ON but does not spring back like a regular key start. Thanks for the advice
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Does yours do it all the time or intermittently?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Pulling the speedo connectors worked for my 01 500ho backfiring,bogging in forward intermittently and no rev limiter in reverse, going to hook up the speedo connector with less wires and see if that brings it back(for my curiosity). Thanks for the advise guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode