Headlights 2004 500HO - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Headlights 2004 500HO

I have a 2004 sportsman 500HO. The headlights have gone out, worked then didn't. I can find no broken wires, no blown fuses. Anyone have suggestions of where to start?? It's frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:37 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

It depends on the date of manufacture of the quad - early or late 2004 - what's the VIN?

I suspect switches and wiring connections first, but if you have a late production model, then the SSCB (solid state circuit breaker) module may have failed. Once I know which model you have and the production date, I can provide more accurate information.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:31 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
As ridiculous as this may sound, using a multi-meter, are you getting any volts and the headlight plug(s)? Have you tried a new bulb? Put the multi-meter in the OHM setting, and touch each probe to the two prongs on the light bulb. If you get an OHM reading then the bulb is good. If no OHM reading, the bulb is bad.

Not likely that all headlights would blow at the same time, but if there was an electrical surge somewhere in the system, and the headlight switch was in the on position, then it could zap all the bulbs.

Start tracing it back. use a multi-meter, and test the headlight plugs. If there is no voltage there, then test the wires at the handlebar switch. If there is no voltage there, then keep tracing the wires back to either where they have voltage, or where they originate from to find the issue.

Are the taillights working when you flip the switch? Does the tail light work when you press the brake on the handlebar?

Last edited by Sti1471; 09-20-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:33 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
It depends on the date of manufacture of the quad - early or late 2004 - what's the VIN?

I suspect switches and wiring connections first, but if you have a late production model, then the SSCB (solid state circuit breaker) module may have failed. Once I know which model you have and the production date, I can provide more accurate information.
Where is this SSCB located on these machines. my 2004.5 would have this and if they are problematic, then I might want to switch it out just to be on the safe side. Also, if the SCCB does fail, are there any other electrical components that would fail as well, or just the headlights?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti1471 View Post
Quote:

Where is this SSCB located on these machines. my 2004.5 would have this and if they are problematic, then I might want to switch it out just to be on the safe side. Also, if the SCCB does fail, are there any other electrical components that would fail as well, or just the headlights?
The SSCB is not particularly problematic, but like any electrical component subject to failure. They cost about $340

Usually located under the front cover and mounted to the bulkhead.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:35 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
They cost about $340

Retraction...

I will not be replacing the SSCB just to be on the safe side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Tags
500 sportsman, headlights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode