2015 850 SP Eating One way Bearings - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

2015 850 SP Eating One way Bearings

Has anyone else had problems with the 1 way bearings failing multiple times?

Last May I was in Hatfield Mccoy and I was coasting down a steep hill letting the EBS do it's it's thing, next thing i know there's a loud squeal and the quad starts free wheeling. I get to a landing on the hill and I find myself in a cloud of smoke, at the time i was due for the exhaust recall to add heat shielding to prevent fires, I immediately jump off the machine thinking it's on fire. Luckily it was not, it was simply a cloud from the belt being smoked. I took it easy went straight back to camp, changed the belt out with the only belt i could get my hands on down there, an EPS severe duty belt which i had bought the previous trip as a just in case to keep in my front storage box. Everything in the belt housing looked factory new and fresh, less a light coating of dust, and the glazed ribs on the smoked belt. The machine had roughly 1000 miles on it at that point, and I'm extremely careful when it comes to choosing high or low range, this being my first polaris coming from hondas, my biggest fear is smoking a belt on the trail. I'm also very meticulous with maintenance, buy the genuine polaris fluids and filters annually to change and avoid any potential warranty BS since i paid for the 5 year polaris extended warranty.

Anyway after 2 more days it was apparent there was still an issue, extremely hard to shift, occasional squealing while idling in gear or using EBS down a hill, all the symptoms of a bad one way bearing. So I just dealt with it and finished my vacation, on my way home I dropped my ATV at the local dealer, had them do the exhaust recall, and explained what the problem was with my transmission. The guy at the counter was like oh yea, sounds like a bad one way bearing, you still have your extended warranty so it should be covered.

Few weeks later I come back to pick up the machine, i can see the look on the guys face, something isn't good. So he tells me Polaris has denied my warranty claim on the one way bearing. I ask why, and he said the polaris rep was being a dick, they said they saw no reason it shouldn't be an extended warranty repair, everything in the belt housing was pristine with no signs of abuse or water/mud intrusion. He said the rep wanted maintenance records that i took the housing off and inspected the bearing annually, I never did that, why would i break the factory seal on the belt housing just to see that yup, it's still a maintenance free sealed bearing... So they split the repair cost, they covered the parts, I had to pay for the labor, (2 hours), and i was also out $150 for the EPS belt that was also toasted from the last 2 days of riding. Not happy about it, but it's fixed life goes on.

Just got home from my annual West Virginia trip last night, and the one way bearing failed AGAIN. 2nd day into the trip, roughly 1100 miles on the machine now (probably 130 miles on the new belt and bearing) engine breaking down a hill, all the sudden quad starts free wheeling and squealing, and it smells like burnt plastic/rubber. It's also now squealing real bad at idle in gear if i stop at an intersection or anything, and it's so hard to shift the damn plastic shift knob broke off, it also doesn't like to start in gear anymore. I drop $150 on another EPS belt to keep as a spare and decide to continue running the belt that's in there until it totally fails. I took it easy the rest of the trip, and made it through, but now i'm getting ready to head back to a different dealer, because it seems like anything I have repaired at this dealer takes 3 tries before it's fixed. Just over a year after getting the quad the master cylinder failed, brought it back to the dealer and had the master cylinder replaced 3 times, before they finally replaced the entire braking system under my extended warranty. I find it hard to believe they got 3 defective master cylinders from polaris but who knows...

Anyway, I'm worried this is going to be a reoccurring issue with the machine and i'm not sure what to do about it. Once the warranty is up in may $150 a year for a belt and whatever the bearing costs is gonna get old in a hurry.

2015 Sportsman 850 SP Titanium Silver
Stock... For now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Yep, one way bearings in all my bikes. Had it go out in my xp850 2012 my sp850 2015 and my xp1000 2018.

Next time it goes out. Have them install a two way bearing from a scrambler. I did it to all my bikes once the first bearing went out. All of them with less than 1000 miles.

The two way bearing still has engine breaking down to about 6 MPH and then lets go. I like it much better. My buddy has 10,000 miles on his scrambler with no bearing problems.

I never had to change another bearing in any of my bikes after installing the two way. I sell my bikes at 8,000 miles

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2019-P...ss!59701!US!-1

D

Last edited by Deucer; 09-19-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I forgot to say that the ADC still functions as normal. When throttle is all the way off and you apply the brakes, all four wheels brake. The only thing different is it will free wheel under 6 MPH. I like it better. Less herky jerky on and off the throttle trying to control your speed down hill. I control my speed under 6 MPH with the brakes.

D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode