Polaris ATV Forum banner

is this drivetrain noise normal?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mopar4u 
#1 · (Edited)
2005 sportsman 700 efi

when coasting to a stop (below 5mph) i hear a sound and feel it a little bit in my feet (foot boards). the sound is similar to the sound when you shift from one gear to another (high to reverse etc). the sound follows the speed, not the rpm of the engine. i put the atv in the air and started it, ran the throttle but could not replicate the sound. it does this while coasting straight or coasting left or right. when accelerating or driving this noise doesnt exist, everything is normal. i checked the trans fluid and its at the level of the fill plug.

is this normal polaris drivetrain noise? the fact that i can occasionally feel it in the floor boards concerns me.

#2 ·
Sounds like it!!! Polaris has a robust but noisy drive train!

#4 · (Edited)
i know of the typical polaris clicks and clanks but im still bothered that i can feel the noise in my floorboards. could a bad cv joint be felt in my floorboards? all cv boots are in tact. i put in new ball joints. replaced both prop shafts. to ease my curiosity can i pull one axle out at a time (front or rear) and drive without it to see if noise goes away?

#5 ·
You wouldn't be able to road test it unless you fabed something up to retain the hub in place.

#7 ·
so i tried some more troubleshooting. without it running i jumped up and down on each corner and no noises. steering tie rod ends are sloppy. i feel the noise when coasting to a stop going left or right or straight on driveway or lawn. i mostly feel it on the right floorboard. it doesnt always do it. i can only get it to do it in high, nothing in low or reverse. i ran it up on blocks and couldnt get it to do it. to verify chain slapping on drain plug or not for 30 seconds i ran it in high in the driveway with the drain plug loosened a few threads and it did it (i just had drain plug shaved down cause it had chain marks on it). if this is “normal” polaris slop that im hearing and feeling can someone explain whats exactly happening in the tranny that would cause me to feel the noise? why only in high and not low or reverse? this is bugging me:sad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.