Polaris ATV Forum banner

OEM Battery question

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Duse 
#1 ·
Im looking for a battery and getting internet overload
I have it down to 2 that I believe will work for the 2015 850
Any opinions??
Does anyone have any info on the OEM-30AH,12 VOLT,AGM battery,Part number 4014609?
Polaris says it wil fit,I think it needs the bracket(BRKT-BATTERY,30AH [USED W/4011224])
but it looks bigger.I cant find any measurements for it

Was also looking at the Odyssey PC925L Battery. Read some guys on here use it but you need some Brackets

#2 ·
I know "Phil" put an Odyssey 925 in his 850. Don't know about the bracket though.

#4 ·
According to the information available to me, the battery you need is a 4011496 - Yuasa YTX20HL-BS or upgrage YIX20HL-FA

The 4014609 is a Yuasa YIX30L-FA

The YIX30 has a charge rate of 3 amps for 5 -10 hours - the YTX20 has a charge rate of 1.8 amps for 5-10 hours

Does the 850 have a charging system capable of charging the YIX30 without burning up?

#5 ·
I have no ideal but I just referred to that manual you sent me(Thanks again:grin) and I couldent make heads or tails of it.Its out of my league.
But on page 10-19 in the Alternator/Ignition Components section ,the picture it shows is of a 30 amp hr battery. What the charging system actually charges at ???I dont know:ugh2:
Anyone ???

#6 ·
Was also looking at the Odyssey PC925L Battery. Read some guys on here use it but you need some Brackets

Those guys know as much about bat as you do.

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds

The Polaris bat has 600+ cca.

The Odyssey bat has 330 cca.

The stock bat cost is about 1/2 the cost of the Odyssey yet has twice the starting power.

What is it that you and other GUYS do not understand.

#7 ·

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds

The stock bat cost is about 1/2 the cost of the Odyssey yet has twice the starting power.

My stock battery has 310 CCA and 18.9 AH
I saw the upgraded battery ,I think its 400cca and 30ah
Now I dont understand if the charging system will charge it??

#8 ·
From what I can determine, the charging system is capable of 575 watts at 2500 RPM - that is 38 amps to run all the lights, ignition, accessories and charge the battery. The battery only consumes about 2 amps so I believe the charging system can handle the YIX30 battery - the rec/reg is rated at 50 amps, so premature failure of that unit is not foreseen. Yes, you might need to change the battery box if you choose the 30 over the 20.

Happy modding :big-grin

#10 ·
QUESTION? It seems the charging system in more to maintain not charge. The winch can kill the bat in a matter of minutes, not an hour. When plowing snow many have a problem keeping the bat charged from using the winch to raise and lower the plow not to mention using the lights for night plowing.

How is the charging system able to take care of this problem but have a problem charging a slightly larger bat that is in little use other then starting the bike?

#12 ·
Charging

Answer: The charging system put a charge back into a battery more slowly than the accessories take energy out.

Let's say the winch draws 10 amps momentarily for about 10 seconds and the charging system puts a linear charge of 1.8 amps (maximum charge rate for the stock YTX20HL-BS battery) back into the battery - (linear charge means the engine speed does not fall below 2400 PRM) it takes roughly 5 minutes of continuous charge with no additional draw to replace the amperage drawn for 10 seconds, so over the course of an hour of stop and go operation using the winch every 20 or 30 seconds, the battery is discharged - it takes approximately 5 to 10 hours of charge at 1.5 amps to charge a battery that the voltage has been reduced to 11.9 volts. Add to the draw on the battery, the lights, ignition, grip warmers and the problem is exacerbated. The charging system needs to be at 2400 RPM for 5 to 10 hours to recharge the battery.

Keep in mind that as voltage falls, amperage goes up - let's say the winch has a 120 watts motor; at 14.8 volts (a fully charged battery) it is drawing 8.1 amps - if the voltage falls to 12.2 volts it now uses 8.8 amps - if the battery voltage drops to 10.5 volts, it now uses 11.4 amps.

The Polaris 90 and other brands of small quads with brake lights can discharge a battery simply from using the brakes frequently while operating at low speed - again, the battery operating at a loss until the engine speed is 2400 RPM or higher.

Does this help?

#11 ·

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)

My stock battery has 310 CCA and 18.9 AH
I saw the upgraded battery ,I think its 400cca and 30ah
Now I dont understand if the charging system will charge it??
Duse you’re right about the 310cca and the upgraded 400cca. Not sure where the Polaris 600cca comes from.

#13 · (Edited)
Heres the new battery,,its BIG. The sizes are written on one of the pics.
When I called the dealer that I got the battery from,they said they had the bracket,when I got there they didn't(definitely needs a new bracket).So I made a new bracket out of a scrap divider , The divider is the same gauge as the OEM strap but its aluminum. Will have to keep an eye on it. As I made the strap ,I dry fitted it with the battery on the Blown 850.So I haven't installed it yet on my bike.Its a tight fit but looks like its gonna work.I'll get pics when its in
The numbers are over -under.The top numbers are the new battery

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.