Polaris ATV Forum banner

I'm terrible with electrical and need help!

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  battledonkey 
#1 ·
Hey,

I have an 04 Sportsman 700 that seems to be experiencing electrical problems. If the electric fan or headlights are on the battery indicator on the display comes on.

I don't have a volt meter but in diagnostics mode it was reading 11.7-11.8 volts off and 12.0-12.1 volts idling. It would peak around 13 volts when revved. So I put the battery tender on it overnight and now it reads 12.7 off and 13.0 idling. At around 1500 rpm it climbs up to 14.2-14.4 volts. But if I switch the headlights on it drops to 12.4 and slowly continues to drop (at idle).

Now I've been researching like a maniac and I realize that I should test the lines coming off the stator as well as the line coming off the regulator to be certain but to me this seems like my battery is bad?

That's to anybody willing/able to help!

Doyle

#5 · (Edited)
I would pull the battery out and have it tested, too important not to......that will give you a good baseline to start from. I see light with CVCOBRA1, 3 1/2 years on a battery is taxing and I would lean towards a new one anyway. If you get a new battery for the heck of it, the old battery still needs to be checked. Good luck.....

#10 ·
X2 - I'd have the battery tested, age isn't always the major reason for battery failure. Heat, lack of keeping it at a good charge level and so on can cause a failure of a newer battery. If you pull it you should be able to take it to most auto parts stores or Batteries Plus and get it tested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.